I Forge Iron

So, what are your pet peeves?

ausfire

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here's another pet peeve that has surfaced twice in the last week at my forge. The visitor (usually older type, cowboy hat, big voice) "We've got an anvil twice that size on the farm. That's just a baby."
How do you answer that? I usually say that the 150# (or thereabouts) Kohlswa I'm using is quite adequate for the work we do, since we are not forging sledge hammer heads and I'm the only striker using it. Still, some people have this perception that the bigger the anvil the better the smith.

1. Wasting a lot of time, effort, and money on a project that doesn't work out in the end.

It is called Research and Development. There is always something to be salvaged from the process and used on other projects. Techniques, tooling, jigs, experience, etc. 

There's always something to learn a fail this time might be exactly what you need another time. Heck, even if it's a NEVER do THAT again! Moment it's valuable. Guess how I know about the don't do THAT moments. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

There's always something to learn a fail this time might be exactly what you need another time. Heck, even if it's a NEVER do THAT again! Moment it's valuable. Guess how I know about the don't do THAT moments. <grin>
Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, every fail (and I've had a few) is a learning opportunity. Perhaps we should have a "Tell us your 'don't do that again' moments" thread.

>New thread started, Thanks for the idea

• 9 months later...

OK, here's another pet peeve that has surfaced twice in the last week at my forge. The visitor (usually older type, cowboy hat, big voice) "We've got an anvil twice that size on the farm. That's just a baby."
How do you answer that? I usually say that the 150# (or thereabouts) Kohlswa I'm using is quite adequate for the work we do, since we are not forging sledge hammer heads and I'm the only striker using it. Still, some people have this perception that the bigger the anvil the better the smith.

Reply: "Great! How much you want for it?"

Waiting for equipment is my biggest problem. I've been trying to get a new anvil for awhile so I've been putting off making hardy tools, which means I've been putting off projects. It feels as if I'm being lead on, people don't answer my calls, return my emails, give me specifics, you name it. Even now I have a pretty reliable source for the kind of anvil I want, but I am almost positive something will go tits up.

I just want my dang new anvil!

Waiting for equipment is my biggest problem. I've been trying to get a new anvil for awhile so I've been putting off making hardy tools, which means I've been putting off projects. It feels as if I'm being lead on, people don't answer my calls, return my emails, give me specifics, you name it. Even now I have a pretty reliable source for the kind of anvil I want, but I am almost positive something will go tits up.

I just want my dang new anvil!

Keep looking the right one for you will not pass you bye, 

My number one pet peeve for this year? People who find out you have a forge and immediately ask for a sword. My number two pet peeve? People who, upon learning that I am in no way qualified to actually make a sword insist that they can wait a few months until I have everything figured out. It only takes a few months... right???

People who criticise my grammar and spelling.

I started working in the boiler yards at 15 if I had had the ability to understand English grammar etc. I might have become a teacher.

But we can’t all be the brightest bulbs on the tree.

Oh we have a pet peeve in common!

My Grandfather knew a lot of "educated idiots" a major pet peeve of his. He was a  federal superior court judge till the 1950's sometime for whatever circuit ran the west coast and east as far as NM. and Idaho. Yeah, he was one of THOSE judges. He spent a long career dealing with idiots. I stopped going to college after about a year and a half and got a job instead. Heck I had a job and was paying my way, the idiots teaching were wasting my time so I just stopped going.

I can do spelling and could work on grammar but find my practical limit at puns. I love word play and have an inborn love for etymology. People who can look up THE word they're interested in are BORING.

Just being educated doesn't make a person intelligent, I know a LOT of REALLY INTELLIGENT . . .  SMART people who can't spell worth beans, frankly aren't that well educated but can think rings around most lettered college grads. You don't have to KNOW the subject just have a good enough handle on it to look up what you need to know.

Do NOT confuse smart and educated they're two different things, marvelously wonderful when they coincide but all to often, maybe even the majority aren't. It can be entirely too easy to "earn" a degree and not be smart enough to trouble shoot a dead light.

Oh I have too many pet peeves to list but this is a BIG one.

Frosty The Lucky.

I do not criticise anyone for poor spelling or grammar, but I do believe a lot of mistakes are due to pure laziness rather than lack of knowledge.

As an admin on a spelling/grammar advice site, I see a constant stream of posts from people who genuinely want to do better (mainly ESL learners), and we are very happy to offer advice and guidance without being critical.

And Frosty is correct - there are many people who have wonderful talents in many fields and yet cannot spell accurately. I can teach people to spell and compose meaningful sentences, but if someone is going to show me how to forge weld, I'll listen to them, and I don't care if they don't know whether to put an apostrophe in its or not!! (That's one of my pet peeves!)

I have taught English for over forty years and I believe the troubles many young people have today stems from the fact that our young teachers nowadays have had little grounding in spelling and grammar, and, naturally, shy away from teaching it. A return to the good old phonic-based teaching of reading and spelling should replace the current look/say/guess/hope method favoured by educationists today.

So, no criticism of poor grammar spelling from me, but I am critical of the education system that is producing it. :angry:

Well, proper spelling, grammar, and word choice are pet peeves of mine; it seems to me that if you're going to take the trouble to say something, you should say it in a way that conveys what you actually mean. Really, it's just common courtesy to your readers, not forcing them to translate.

That said, I've come to the conclusion that policing other people's writing is pretty much a waste of my time, and I would rather focus on what I myself have to say and how I say it than on setting myself up as an unwelcome authority over others.

13 hours ago, ausfire said:

So, no criticism of poor grammar spelling from me, but I am critical of the education system that is producing it. :angry:

BINGO! 

I love to miss spell word's on purpose on to see some folks have a hissy fit over it, makes my day.

An Expert is anyone more than 25 miles from home with a briefcase!  I was called to jury duty once when being questions about a possible expert witness I made the above comment, Judge kicked me off the pool. 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎30‎:‎50‎, ausfire said:

"We've got an anvil twice that size on the farm. That's just a baby."

Show me!  followed by I'll trade you! followed by when can I come and see it?

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

Well, proper spelling, grammar, and word choice are pet peeves of mine; it seems to me that if you're going to take the trouble to say something, you should say it in a way that conveys what you actually mean. Really, it's just common courtesy to your readers, not forcing them to translate.

That said, I've come to the conclusion that policing other people's writing is pretty much a waste of my time, and I would rather focus on what I myself have to say and how I say it than on setting myself up as an unwelcome authority over others.

Nicely put, sir!

At risk of getting banned from this site....

My biggest pet peeve(s) are updates/changes to computer programs/websites that MAY "improve" the overall functions of the program but usually don't, but DO force the user to learn a new way to get the same result.   

as always

peace and love

billyO