I Forge Iron

fly press?

ausfire

We came across this old machine in our 'resource pile' recently and I am reliably informed that it is a fly press. Can't see any maker's name on it anywhere. Probably powered by belt from a stationary engine or steam engine.

It's been sitting there for the past 40 years or so, but is in remarkably good condition. I'm thinking of hauling it out, cleaning it up and placing it on display with some other old blacksmithing gear.

I am unsure of what to write on an explanatory label, and I would like to know if it is indeed a fly press, roughly what age it would be (guessing 1900 - 1920??) and what it was used for.

Here it is:

post-50874-0-59016200-1413633775_thumb.j

post-50874-0-54213800-1413633820_thumb.j

It's a punch press, specifically an OBI punch press.  Not a fly press, there is no "give" or rebound rather the ram needs to cycle all the way to and thru the bottom of it's stroke every time.  Some of the blacksmith shops around here use them but they are a single operation machine that operate a dedicated die pack.  

Definitely a Punch Press, helped my brother in law clean out a shop with about 15 of them from 2 ton to 70 ton plus ran some for a couple years.  I have seen a few used in local blacksmith shops but limited use in my mind.  We scraped 7 of the smaller and the 70 ton one as I couldn't see where I could use one enough to bother getting 3 phase in my shop.  They use specific dies to do certain jobs and must make a complete cycle to operate.  Production type machine and dies are very expensive. 

We would call it an eccentric press and they are very effective for punching and pressing. Check out your 'pile' you may have some die-sets if you have some, with a bit of effort you can jerry up some tooling . I used to use mine to punch/make "domecaps" mostly. Also useful for making multiple 'leaves' etc.

Thanks for the help. So we'll call it a Punch Press or Power Press. I'll guess at Circa 1900. It looks very similar to the John Heine one in Flying's reply. How would it have been powered??

I would like to write a general statement (in layman's terms) about what it was used for. Perhaps something like "used with various dies in the blacksmith shop for general repetitive punching and pressing work".

Any other suggestions welcome.

Usually had an electric motor, all ours were 220v 3phase  don't remember the HP we had so many.  The motors were mounted on the back up  close to the top.  Most of ours this small were used for secondary  work, bending, trimming, final holes.  Limited use in a Blacksmith shop as most shops don't do repetitive work like this.  We had some that were set up to do the same job everyday and ran 20+ yrs, as long as the orders kept coming in.  A lot of the early ones were forced out by OSHA rules for hand safety. 

John Heine still exist and still produce a large array of the presses.  They are also regularly availible on ebay & gumtree.   If you send them an email with a photo they may be able to provided more info on the model and date, etc.

Thanks XS,

Done that. We'll see what they say.

Well, I received a very helpful reply from John Heine:

It was one of the first presses we made in about 1895 to 1900.  The name would have been on a plate on the front of the slide, please see photo attached.  We have an identical machine in our archives.  It was approx 8 tons capacity and they were used for stamping out metal items, eg ends of containers (food cans, tobacco tins etc), cutlery, brackets etc.

Regards

John Heine

And here is the picture they sent:

post-50874-0-85786400-1413843837_thumb.j

aha! good work darryl!

as i said on the day, after i called it a "flypress" (i was thinking "flywheel"),i corrected myself when the real name came to mind, to "punch press".

i also called it a "heine" press, but as you know, we couldnt find the plate!

Greetings Aus, Looks like a punch pressti me. The flywheel is for inertia not for flatbelts. Forge on and make beautiful things .... Jim

inertia has to be created from somewhere, and in this case, power would have been transmitted to the press via a flat belt on the flywheel.

I'm thinking for display purposes we might find a stationary engine and set it up with a flat belt. Or maybe we could free it up and run it off our steam engine! (A bit ambitious, I think).

The one that I used to own and every other that I've seen live have been run with an electric motor spinning a v-belt pulley (mine had 3 v-belts) and the v belts simply wrapped around the big flywheel.  Plenty of contact area for the v belts on that large a diameter even without grooves for them to run in.

IW something funny going on with your posts?

That is a cracker Ausfire!  

I've only seen the common mid-20th C Heine presses, (as on their website) never an early one like that.

Now for you to trawl your local history for where it came from and what it was used for!  Who made tins, pen nibs and sheetmetal widgits in your district??

Have you used 'Trove'?  This might be useful:  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/titles?state=Queensland

happy hunting,

Andrew.