I Forge Iron

'alternate' traditional hobies/ handcrafts.

ianinsa

Hello all,

Besides blacksmithing & making many things of different materials, my other "hobby" is Falconry. I train and fly hawks for hunting. It is not really a hobby as much as a way of life. It impacts and informs everything I do in one way or another. This is my current Red Tailed Hawk named Alenta. We have just wrapped up a very successful hunting season. I make my own falconry equipment whenever possible. She is a first year bird, this summer she will molt and gain the iconic red tail her breed is named for. I will hunt with her as my partner for 2-3 years then release her back into the wild to make new red tails. If you enjoy the outdoors, hunting, or birds in general; I would suggest trying to get out once to watch a falconer work with their bird. My first tag along hunt is one of the top ten experiences of my life. 

Have a great day, 

W

10-23-05.JPG

14-18-01.jpg

15-7-14.jpg

15-20-12.jpg

15-27-02.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven, If you are not already familiar with them the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box has a major character, Nick Romanowski, who is a falconer and reflects the "way of life" you mention.  Pickett is a Wyoming game warden.

To be a legal licensed falconer in Wyoming you have to follow a set of Wyoming Game and Fish regulations that were lifted, IMO, straight out of medieval guild laws.  They involve apprenticeship to a master falconer for a significant period and other similar requirements.

BTW, beautiful bird.  Redtails are one of the more common hawks out here along with Swainson's and Cooper's hawks.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Nodebt, I'm not sure where you are in NE but it is about 11 1/2 hours from Lincoln to Kemmerer.  You could break the trip here in Laramie which is about halfway and we could have a fermented malt beverage (once the covids have gone away).  Close enough to you for a long weekend.  I got some good fossils out of the Warfield Quarry some years ago.

An interesting thing about the Eocene fossil fish is that you usually see them in a wonderful state of preservation but that is because there is a selection process in the quarry or in preparation.  In the field you see plenty of fish that are disarticulated or in some stage of decomposition when buried.  Those are usually discarded and the nice ones are kept, displayed, or sold.

Hello George,

I am not familiar with that series but will have to look into it. I love books. I have an Audible book addiction and see the series is available. I served a two year apprenticeship under a master falconer, and I am now in my 9th year as a general class falconer(4 more years than required). I may apply for my master falconer permit, but not for a couple more years. I am in no rush. As a general class falconer I can fly three birds which is more than I could handle I think. The only other advantage to a master class falconry permit is the opportunity to fly eagles which I do not have the hunting habitat for. As I near retirement I think the upgrade will make more sense. I can tell you it is long process to be licensed for falconry.

I would love to fly a coopers hawk but that would require me not to have a red tail, coopers hawk require your full attention. The red tail hawk is really the best bird for my area and the game I have available to me. I am thinking about adding a kestrel to the team this coming fall, I would like to try hunting starlings and English house sparrows.  

Thank you, 

W

12 hours ago, George N. M. said:

To be a legal licensed falconer in Wyoming you have to follow a set of Wyoming Game and Fish regulations that were lifted, IMO, straight out of medieval guild laws.  They involve apprenticeship to a master falconer for a significant period and other similar requirements.

Same thing here in KY. Apprenticeships etc. I prefer it that way. It keeps the less than dedicated folks from acquiring raptors for the "cool" factor. The laws here limit which species you can keep until you become a master falconer. They also restrict the length of time you can keep an individual bird. I used to hang around with a few members of the Kentucky Falconers Association and helped out with their birds and go on hunts with them. I thought about going through the process of getting licensed when I was younger but it's more time than I had to invest. 

Pnut

Raptors are protected under Federal law aren't they? There's nobody like the Feds for hoop jumping. I think Falconry is a good place for some pretty strict hoops. 

There used to be a mated pair of Goshawks on the back end of our property until things started getting built up around here. They may still use the next and not come our way anymore. I used to LOVE to watch them cruise through the birch forest at probably 20+mph. 

When we first moved here I walked out to see what the fuss was out back, it turned out to be the Goshawks had hatchlings in the nest and NOBODY was welcome close. I got within sight of the nest and caught a glimpse of activity when Mom or Dad stooped on me.

I dove under a spruce tree ad that darned bird followed me under the branches but not all the way in. Fortunately for me they made a loud battle cry when they began the dive so I could duck and hide. I made my way out from spruce tree to spruce tree. They were coming through the braches of mature birch trees at REALLY high speed. 

For that season one usually sat in a tree at the back of our cleared land and watched us. We didn't enjoy a threat display if we wandered back but it's talk to us. The next season didn't go back and they left us be. 

I'd be MOST unhappy if someone tried taking chicks out of the nest.

Frosty The Lucky.

Living down on the border I had a family of Kestrels nest  in a hole into the attic of the Casita, I didn't tell my landlord as I liked them!  Fledged 3 that summer.  Used to see them checking things out on a fencepost carrying a lizard or something small and furry.

We also had Harris hawks in the large trees around my landlords "big house".  Lots of doves in the area!

19 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Nodebt, I'm not sure where you are in NE but it is about 11 1/2 hours from Lincoln to Kemmerer.  You could break the trip here in Laramie which is about halfway and we could have a fermented malt beverage (once the covids have gone away).  Close enough to you for a long weekend.  I got some good fossils out of the Warfield Quarry some years ago.

Thanks for the kind offer, George, but in three weeks I will be moved lock, stock and barrel to the east coast.  A bit more of a jaunt than from Omaha!  However, I hear they have great sites out east for finding fossilized sharks teeth.  I may add a Carcharocles megalodon tooth to my collection of oddities if I get lucky! 

You have my sympathies, I generally prefer the west to the east but there are some cool places east of the Mississippi and sometimes our choices of where we are are made for us by outside circumstances such as family or career.  Good luck on the move.  We are still hauling dishes and dollies from our old p0lace to our new place.

I'll send you a Knightia specimen when I get into my boxes of rocks as I continue to unpack and bring things up to Laramie.

I agree the falconry regulations are in place for a reason. Some of them should be changed at this point due to the change in wild populations of some raptors but yes the Federal and Sate governments hold all the hoops. Falconry is the most regulated field sport in the USA. In 1940 the bald eagle was protect up until then they where being shot. All raptors gained protection in 1972. So up until about 50 years ago people still shot these birds. Movements to protect and reestablish raptors such as the peregrine falcon after DDT were spearheaded by Falconers.

As far as the take of nestlings and passage birds from the wild, rough 80-90% of first year birds do not survive their first year. So the impact falconry has is only beneficial in that regard. As with everything in falconry there are rules when it comes to taking raptors from the wild. So if that nest you are talking about Frosty is on private land a falconer would need permission from the owner to take one. Taking nestlings is not something I do. I have never imprinted a bird. All of my birds are first year birds, raised by their parents in the wild, full formed and developed, taken after they have left the nest and started their migration. However someday I may be interested in trying a Goshawk so if you could talk a few of those chicks to migrate through upstate New York that would be great. :)

Have a great day all,

W

18 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I'll send you a Knightia specimen when I get into my boxes of rocks

Maybe we can swap.  I have some unique "extras"   I've had some fun trading with other members.

15 hours ago, BsnNFrnt said:

Training sporadically

Is that an oxymoron?  How far can you hurl that stone?

I believe that was around 53’.  In my defense, I was a track guy until I had to get a real job. Highland games was a natural extension and much like the smithing community is replete with like minded individuals. 

Nodebt, if your journey east takes you through Ohio, like the I-70 route, there is an old quarry here that has been turned into a park. People come from all over the world to hunt fossils in the park. Oaks quarry is the name of the park. No sharks teeth though. The fossils here predate sharks by a year or 2. Most are like those trilobyte things or tube worms and the like. Some really rare and valuable fossils have been found here though. We also have loads and loads off flint, it is the states gemstone even. 

I found what i called a nautilus shell but was corrected and cant remember what it is called now,  in a load of driveway gravel. 

I-70 is about a 5 min (10 mins to the 70/75 junction) drive from that park, so it would be a nice stop just to do some leg stretchin, walk the dog and maybe find something interesting. 

An Ammonite? I already have "Oaks Quarry" on my visit list once things settle down enough Deb and I can start snowbirding like we'd planned. I'll probably spend two days (at least) reading everything I can find about the place and area in general as we get close. Before we met I used to spend my entire vacation reading bout and roaming various places for minerals and fossils. 

Deb's only indifferent because she hasn't found out how much fun it is. She's susceptible though I proved it on the beaches at Nikiski last summer when I pointed out how to spot agates and the different types of quartz on the beach. I can't wait till she finds a piece of malachite or snow flake obsidian.

Frosty The Lucky.

BillyBones, actually, that is the route we are taking.  Thanks for the tip.  We are going in a caravan so the way some of my family drives I may have to throw out the anchor!  It is on my radar.  I am a big fan of trilobites and ammonites too.  The way we will be packed/loaded though, one specimen and we may be in danger of blowouts, weightwise.  :)

If ya'll make to the park give me a hollar, my house is 2 stop lights from that park. Maybe 3/4 mile or so. 

The park has a fossilized coral reef system from the Silurian age (what ever that is) It is actually quite big with riding trails and the like. Well big for this part of Ohio. 

For info it is part of the Beavercreek wetlands water shed. 

Well actually there were two Silurian ages: one geologic; 443 to 416 million years ago; noted for the Eurypterids, scourge of the Silurian Seas and also for reef building.  The other is the period when the Celtic tribe  Silures were in Wales, they fought the Romans for quite a while.   The old tradition in Geology is to name geologic periods for where they were first identified in surface rocks and so a number of periods are named for where the celtic tribes in the UK were.

I can still remember the mnemonic for the geologic periods; but like the resistor colour code it contravenes   IFI's TOS for language/behavior.   Now the order of the planets around Sol is an easy "clean" one:  Mother Very Easily  Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No (Protest)---predates Pluto's demotion.

Will do, Billy, will do.  I am trying to work it in to our schedule, but I have a feeling it will be all business and no fun.  We will see!

Didn't Dr. Who battle the the Silurians at some point in time

What color code?  Trial and error....  :)  They get hot FAST!

Disclaimer:  Everybody follow the unspeakable color code!