I Forge Iron

Fisher 1200# anvil !?

I am looking at an auction with a 1200# fisher anvil with eagle on it. Can't find any info about it at all. I've seen the "worlds largest" 1400# but can find nothing about a 1200. Does anyone know anything? It doesn't really look that big to me but we just started collecting so I wouldn't know lol. Any help is appreciated!

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2121644/fp102.cgi

How cool..... it's big, On something that size, an inch difference here or there can make a significant impact on weight amount. Hopefully Josh will have more info.

But if you or anyone else attends this auction, take better pictures and post them here for everyone to get a better look.

My bet is that its not 1200 lbs. It would take someone with some experience to accurately guess something of that size. If they bothered to put it on a scale you would have thought pictures would have been taken.

Are Fishers that big marked for weight the same as smaller ones?

My rule of thumb for what it is worth....

A normally proportioned anvil (such as the one in the link) will weigh about 500lbs if it is 6" across the face (ive got a few anvils over 500 lbs)

I think that Stanley tape rule in the photos will be 3" across the base, and it will scale to about '2' to the width of the face, I would guestimate a small 500 lbs max for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

i see they posted more pics, looks like the 1200 pounder is a 500 pounder

I just studied the new pictures.  Marcusb is correct. If the anvil pictured is the one they claim is 1200 lb, they are wrong.  Someone had stamped 1200 L into it at some point, but it clearly has a 50 on the leg, indicating its a 500.  I am going to the auction anyway; they have a lots of neat stuff.  But I am sure that some attendees who are coming from a great distance are going to be sorely disappointed.

They really need to re-do that listing.  While it's obviously an innocent error and not fraudulent, there are going to be a lot of folks put out and they could get some complaints against them for false advertising.

I saw a lot of things I'd definitely like to have.  Those hit-n-miss engines would be nice to rebuild and that Beaver garden tractor is just too cute to not want.

VaughnT, did you just accuse an auction company of (Gasp!) honesty? Why, they will be drummed out of the guild if that sort of thing gets around!

The one that they say is a 1200 pounder has a big face chip next to the step that I did not see on the 500 pounder, but that could just be camera angle.

Soooo much nice stuff out there. If I could just win the lottery, I could get that upgrade to World Class Jerk and Major League Hoarder (Rust Division).

JM,
I don't think that is a face chip on that Fisher, I think that is a rust pattern that makes it look like a chip.
From the other angle they listed, and with a little contrast work, it looks like gorgeous condition Fisher.

But if that "1200 LB" is stamped in the side, I could easily see where that would be a mistake.....

post-25745-0-15189500-1404997233_thumb.j

post-25745-0-41868900-1404997496_thumb.j

I stopped by to preview this auction today. Its only about 3 miles from me. I have heard of this guy for years and finally got to meet him. Very interesting fellow. Amazing collection of steam engines and other equipment. This guy was a master rigger who specialized in moving heavy equipment as well as buildings. Early in his career he was a diver and did underwater oxyfuel cutting in the NYC area.

As far as I can tell the large anvil weighs 500 lbs. Its clearly marked 50 on the foot. I will say that it appeared in just about pristine condition. The other anvil listed is a Trenton probably about 200-250 lbs.

He has a number of trained bears for sale too if anyone is in the market.

Not sure I can make it to the auction. I am sure any of you guys who attend will have a blast.

Dan

I stopped by to preview this auction today. Its only about 3 miles from me. I have heard of this guy for years and finally got to meet him. Very interesting fellow. Amazing collection of steam engines and other equipment. This guy was a master rigger who specialized in moving heavy equipment as well as buildings. Early in his career he was a diver and did underwater oxyfuel cutting in the NYC area.

As far as I can tell the large anvil weighs 500 lbs. Its clearly marked 50 on the foot. I will say that it appeared in just about pristine condition. The other anvil listed is a Trenton probably about 200-250 lbs.

He has a number of trained bears for sale too if anyone is in the market.

Not sure I can make it to the auction. I am sure any of you guys who attend will have a blast.

Dan

Thanks for the report.  I will be there on Saturday and am looking forward to seeing all of the "stuff".  Any other IFI members at the sale, seek me out.  I will have on my Fisher Museum shirt.  I would love to meet some of you.