I Forge Iron

New Alloy Bar Stock For Making Striking Steels?

I have been looking through the archives on striking steels and have found alot of good info on used steel items for striking steels. Does anyone have suggestions on new affordable material for use in making striking steels?

Seems like 1095 is pretty popular. I need to use new stock because it will become a item to sell in the visitors center where I work. They would like to put a kit together with flint, char cloth in a tin and I will do a demo on how to use it. Could be making alot. Going to go with a basic 1800 century design. Thanks again everyone!

That far in the future? As we are in the 21st century there are only only 1779 centuries to go!  Now if you meant 19th century or the 1800's many of the "basic" designs will go all the way back to the 9th century/800's---which would at least offer a wider market for reenactors.

Could you explain why selling them precludes making them from recycled materials?

.125"x.5" 1095.  Cut a piece off about 2" long and draw out a long taper on the one end so you can loop it around and put on a decorative curl.  Very traditional and fast to make.  Just quench in oil and maybe grind off the decarb layer.

Its as much about a solid heat treat..Normalize them a couple times or a good stress relief cycle before hardening. Full harden and polish the face. You wont have any brittleness issues with good grain structure from normalizing. Most good American files are something along the lines of 1.25%-1.30% carbon content..Dump rake tines Ive seen were about the same surprisingly. I prefer simple carbon steels other than O-1..O-1 produces a very hot orange spark.In fact the bushcraft folk have become a large part of Lisa's business and often request O-1 strikers..Plain ol' 1095, forged,normalized fully hardened will make a striker that will throw showers of sparks.

Thomas, thank you for that correction, as always! I am in a area like you were we can't just run down to the steel supplier to pick material. It would be easier to just order the material in and have stock on hand. I did hit a antique store the other day and found a good supply of hay rake tines and this might do for the rest of the season.