I Forge Iron

Advice for forge layout requested

LawnJockey

First off, I am new and I am located in Livermore California so if any of you are near by I would love to hear from you.

Now the project, I am going to be putting a brake drum forge together in the next day or so.  I have a piece of 3/16" steel plate 3'X4' for the deck.  The edge will be 2x2x 3/16 angle.  The drum is off an F250 and the O.D. of the lip is 14".  I plan to burn a 13" D. hole in the deck.  Then use the cut out to make an 8" disk that will be bolted to the bottom of the fire fire pot using the existing drum bolt holes.  I will be using 2" square tube for the tuyere and ash dump (cuz I have a bunch of it).  The blower is going to be the discharge side of a shop vac until the noise drives me crazy.  I plan to make a side draft chimney for it at a later date.

So, with the above in mind, where would you locate the center of the drum cut out and why?

Thanks

That is a very good idea except that it requires that I have the knowledge and experience to design it at this time.  From my reading I believe I will need a 10" or maybe 12" flue.  So the top of the "hood" should allow for a 12" flue, thus 12 inches plus.  I think I would like it a bit deeper than 12 inches, maybe up to 15 which would give me lots of design flexibility.  Since the angle rim of the table takes up 2" that would mean the face of the "hood" would be 17" in from the side.  Assuming the edge of the fire pot is flush with the face of the "hood" that would put the fire pot dead center on the table which seems wasteful of space.

Although a little more work making the "hood" flush with the side edge would give me an extra two inches which I probably would not regret.  So it comes down to the 15" allowance for depth, is that excessive?

Jockey dude: Like most new guys to the craft you're really overthinking this. We're offering you more knowledge than a boy could need and experience isn't gained by reading things it's gained by TRYING IT OUT. Learning by our mistakes is experience learned.

Nothing is perfect, it doesn't need to be, especially for a smoke hood. If you fret like this over everything you'll never get anything done and if you don't DO you'll never be a blacksmith.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey, isn't learning from other people's mistakes cheating? Okay, so I try very  hard to do that kind of cheating. I'm also a machinist's son, grew up in his shop and tend to try building everydarnedthing to his level slop. He considered anything more than a ten thou, eyeball slop. Did you know frame carpenters think building the roof to +/- 1/64th" any which way you want to check, excessive? Seriously 1/64th. is closer than necessary? Wood guys. <sheesh!>

Your forge looks like a winner.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

hello folks new one here I have a coal forge that a friend built then he decided to use gas so I got this one my problem  I can get a fire going but its hard to keep iam thinking that the fire pot my be to big is this possible or do I need more time to practice (the firepot is a truck rim and drum I think