I Forge Iron

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in an other form on facebook. First let me say a good weld is a good weld and a bad weld is bad. I do not teach forge welding as a first project its a poor choice.

Next I teach my students to make a fagot weld by folding the stock over 4 times.

post-3564-0-35385100-1396202307_thumb.jp

I cut a weld I did in half to show no inclusions.

Students should be taught fire management first. This is a picture of a pair of compass dividers This is the same type of weld folding over and welding it back to it self

post-3564-0-15224100-1396202524_thumb.jp

Yes it can be done I know it is not a poker but it is the same weld

Hey folks! Long time no see!!!
Here are the pictures! 

10156003_869956123021380_745739753_n.jpg

10001460_869956156354710_1776360988_n.jp

1947499_869956186354707_151200322_n.jpg

1978894_869956229688036_3875647_n.jpg

10006242_869956273021365_236179665_n.jpg

999825_869956326354693_494820124_n.jpg

(fun note, the point on that puller was 0.2mm square. I have a hole in my thumb to prove it!) 

10155089_869956373021355_511076074_n.jpg

Testing the strength quenched, cold. Notice how the bend is stronger than parent bar. That is forging. 
1977200_869956409688018_1860355602_n.jpg

(however, notice the hairline cold shut in the crotch created by hitting on the parent bar by mistake. Despite the bending, it did not progress further.)

I had to try this after seeing Brian's postings to try it. It is an incredibly strong bend! There is no weld in this. 
I thought it was pretty cool! Super easy to do. If it was a fire poker it would be a 3 heat poker end. (Taper - bend, forge point from bend, shape puller.)
I'd like to design some artwork using this technique. 

Here is Brian's original post - 
"A faggot weld and a much better idea"

Faggot weld stress tested (broken) 
The alternative. 
Alternative stress tested. 

10157326_812547688774258_741590870_n.jpg

Brian is not saying that the weld is not adequate for a poker - it does the job. Right? It pokes and pulls logs.  
However, he is saying that the weld is not a 'good weld' and teaching this structurally weak weld to beginners is a bad idea as it leaves us beginners without the ability to maximise the capabilities of forging! 

Forging is a wonderful tool! Let's not waste it by learning how to do weak forgings. That is forgery? 

Alec

Do I understand correctly that the bent over tip is what is being touted as a substitute for a correctly executed weld?

If so, that is just bizarre. It's not the same thing. It is just a bend that has been hammered on.

Yes it it. I view forging as one all encompassing subject. I also view forging as this wonderful way of taking something, moving it around, changing its cross section and retaining strength, if not gaining it!

If the method of faggot welding a hook onto a poker is weak, though we agree it is adequate for it's purpose, then what if someone wanted a similar 'shape' for a task demanding a much higher payload? Well, that is what the forged bend is about. It is an exploration of structure, based on the faggot weld's use in fire pokers. 
Might I also mention that this is far quicker than faggot welding it and is a much more reliable, repeatable task that is arguably more aesthetically pleasing?

Yes, it is 'just a bend that has been hammered on'. A faggot weld is equally something 'that has been hammered on'. Your disparaging rhetoric is not necessary and adds nothing to the discussion of forged structure. 

Of course, this is not a 'faggot weld' but, despite this, I believe it was worth posting as it shows an alternative for the example mentioned: a fire poker. It also acts as a suitable comparison between the structural integrity of forging like this and the faggot weld as commonly used. 

I hope this cleared my post up. 
This is fun! :)
Alec

Thanks , Alec! No one asked about alternatives. I posted this on another site from my I phone. I also posted another alternative on the same site, but I don't know how to transfer it to this site. There are more alternatives!

Alec could you post the "blob weld"? I have more photos of the setup on my phone?

Alec - I totally understand your postings.

I posted early on in this thread, a picture that I drew quick as an example of what the area of discussion was on a faggot weld as to what Brian started this thread about. 85 replies later there is still not an example of how a "Sound Weld" is made as far as the type of scarfs involved or design of the weldment. Now I understand that Brian's pictures are in limbo at this time, so I'm just patiently waiting for them so it will clear up the long winded discussion, that could have been very clear with pictures from the start, Vs. a justified or unjustified slam at the "US Associations" that have not been mention for understandable reasons. - I just think that the topic could have started a bit more on the fully informative side Vs. cryptic.

I fully respect Brian as a skilled blacksmith, as I've seen him in person multiple times and would do it again if the chance arises.

Well, the hook in the photos is "an alternative", I guess!
I'm a bit disappointed. I thought we were going to be looking at something a bit snappier than a bend, forged to a point.
My disparagement is unfortunately non-rhetorical in this case.

I will try and post photos, maybe a video of how to do this weld in the next few days.

I understand Brian - like I said I'm just patiently waiting for some possible pictures to show the scarfing methods to make this type of weld sound - as when I started smithing this was one of the first welds I did and that/this topic is exactly what I thought as I finished the weld - thinking this is weak!!!. I believe it will help everyone that does not know this type of sound weld to be able to actually see the method to actually accomplish it Vs. the cut and fold over style of weld. Be it easier or harder than the fold and weld - it will be known how it's done for those that choose to facilitate that weldment.

Don't forget to test it Dan P.

Like I said, Jeremy K, I was shocked when I first saw this method being taught, and I guess it's being taught in the UK as well.

It is one of the most basic welds in blacksmithing, Brian. Of course it is being taught, though I learned it as part of making composite scrolls, not fire pokers. 

I can ony re-iterate; If your attempts at this weld have met with failure in the past, I hope photos or video will help you in better understanding the fire welding process. 

To put to bed any further speculation on the structural strength of this weld, you will need to check the parameters of your liability with your insurer. I very much doubt either fire welding or forging of any type would be covered in the case of litigation (i.e. structural failure). 

Dan P, you obviously do not understand what I'm trying to communicate. It's not a contest, it's not an opinion, it's not a belief, it is just the fundamental laws of forging.

Nothing to understand, Brian. You need to get out more, meet some real smiths.

Good for you for being self-taught, but there is a world wide community of smiths out there. You will meet some at the IBF. Paul Allen. Peter Crownshaw. These are two smiths who have forgotten more than either of us know.

Nothing to understand, Brian. You need to get out more, meet some real smiths.

Dan, i don't know you but if you think Brian has not been exposed to any real smiths . . . .  Well then perhaps it is you who need to get out more.

I've seen quite a few people forge, but very few have the chops Mr Brazeal has with a hammer and an Anvil. I would love to take a look at some of your work but your website appears to be offline.