I Forge Iron

Show me your bick or stake anvils

Thanks VaughnT

I live in Israel and I bought it in a scrap yard in an Arab Village. The scrap yard owner told me he got it from an eldery guy that sold him the contents from his shed. I checked the anvil's rebound and it is about 30% to 40%. I am going to dump it inside the electrolysis bucket and lets see what comes out of it...

I don't see any striations that would indicate WI, but you can do the spark test to be sure.  Just do it on the spike so you don't scar the visible portion.

The decorations look like they were made by the owner of the anvil, and not the maker.  They're too uneven to have come from the original maker, in my opinion.  I would definitely look into having it appraised by a museum just to be sure it isn't really old.  

OK. Here's the thing found in the grass. I thought at first it was some sort of tool rest for a woodlathe, but after seeing these pictures ...
I tried it in the anvil hardie hole but it's not too secure unless you're hitting right above the shank. I brought it back to my forge but I don't think it's much use for anything. Making acute bends perhaps.

post-50874-0-75919600-1399192707_thumb.j

post-50874-0-35885100-1399192768_thumb.j

OK. Here's the thing found in the grass. I thought at first it was some sort of tool rest for a woodlathe, but after seeing these pictures ...
I tried it in the anvil hardie hole but it's not too secure unless you're hitting right above the shank. I brought it back to my forge but I don't think it's much use for anything. Making acute bends perhaps.

Wire wheel it, wipe it down with a light oil.  Find a short log and drill and form a hole for the shank.  I think you will find it useful if the top is at a convenient height.  Putting it in a log makes it portable around the shop.  Or if you have no use for it, sell it.  A lot of smiths use these bicks or collect them.

I don't know if this counts, but I'm in the progress of making a double sided bick from an old pickax that was badly blunted. I'm really starting to realise why everyone wants a power hammer. Will offer pictures when done. 

OK. Here's the thing found in the grass.

Aus, that bick has a tapered shank that's meant to fit into a stake plate, not a hardy hole.  

As mentioned, set it into a stump so it's stable and you can go a lot of neat stuff on them.  They're great for light sheet metal work, so you won't have any problem selling it if you decide to go that route.

Aus, that bick has a tapered shank that's meant to fit into a stake plate, not a hardy hole.  

As mentioned, set it into a stump so it's stable and you can go a lot of neat stuff on them.  They're great for light sheet metal work, so you won't have any problem selling it if you decide to go that route.

Well, now I know what it is I can set it up as described. Thanks anvilman and Vaughn.
I would not consider selling it, even if I don't use it. The thing is, I found it in the grass in an unused area of the heritage museum where I work. (Same area those mining stamp blocks came from)
So I will add it to our collection of blacksmith tools or it can stand beside my anvil in the display area where I do the demos.
I am indeed lucky to have the luxury of 16 acres of old steel implements, aged agricultural and mining machinery and truckloads of scrap steel of all types at my disposal. Plus well equipped blacksmith and farriers shops on site as well as my own forge at home. A wander around the piles of old stuff often reveals things I didn't know were there.
And being in a museum situation, we often get some lovely things donated by people 'clearing out Grandpa's shed'. Recently got a massive Peter Wright anvil which I measured at 900mm. In near perfect condition. It has taken pride of place in our blacksmith shop, replacing a smaller and more worn anvil.
So all in all, I am very happy with my lot.

post-168-0-15985900-1399295862_thumb.jpg  

and all the pictures were taken by somebody else.  I spent 10 years on a slow dialup connection in the country and extraneous photos were a big problem---especially people who had them in their signature; pretty well cut off viewing certain threads.  Anyway, not completed---I want to weld up a pad over the eye to make a flat anvil face there.