I Forge Iron

Ever see a post vice like this?

setlab

I picked this one up at an auction a while ago and thought it was unique. It has 6" jaws and a quick change mechanisim for the jaw depth. The only markings I can find are "00" partially hidden under the quick change mechanisim. Looks like it will be handy to use, I just need to come up with a heavy moveable stand for it yet.

post-5321-0-21563700-1389780332_thumb.jp

post-5321-0-42380700-1389780347_thumb.jp

Setlab

I have used a section of h-beam with sqare tubing verticle and legs (shaped in a U), legs flat on the ground (you don't want to trip over them. You can stand on a leg while working at the vise.

This style of base I move with a hand cart.

You can take a truck wheel, weld a verticle with whatever you have available (not on center, post comes down near the base of the outside rim). Fill the center with concrete.

This style you can roll the base (like an oxygen bottle) to move around the shop.

Look around for what material is available (I look in my collection of shorts or drops). There is no rule committee for what it has to be.

I like the adjustability of that vise. Sometimes you will find it a pain in the back-side, but patience will win. :) :)

Neil

Whoops. http://www.google.com/patents/US699585

I saw an ad in blacksmith and wheelwright magazine on google also.

The vise shown in this patent seems to differ from the one pictured in this thread. The patent states that the movable jaw can be adjusted to maintain parallelism,while the one in the thread only seems to be a quick adjust mechanism. Is there a hidden adjustment we can't see your photo?

Greetings Set,

This is one of many portable vise stands that I have..  I like this one because it is quite movable with a shop cart under the base..  Its very stable and the top is handy for stuff...   I love your vise ... Wana trade... LOL

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-62532300-1389822888_thumb.j

Thanks for the ideas. I'm playing around with the idea of getting a small steel drum and filling it up with concrete. Then make a small table top and base for it to mount the vice.

Nice looking vise.

A 5 gallon bucket filled with typical concrete weighs about 100 lbs roughly. So a small 30 gallon drum is going to weigh about 600 lbs and require a forklift to move easily.

Good point about the weight I wasn't thinking concrete weighed that much. I'll have to calculate just how much I'll need for weight, 300lbs sounds heavy enough to me. I have a while to think about it though, I'm still setting up my garage shop after a pretty big move. I used to live close to a really nice scrap yard that I took for granted, where I am now there isn't a scrap yard in sight; so I'm kind of cringing to see what it will cost to buy new plate steel and larger structural steel pieces.

Greetings Bikecop,

The green vise is a Cole..  I think if you search on this thread you will find examples of others that have the same one..  It is a very handy vise that even came with its own drill press... Just goes to prove what my wife says... " you have got to many vises "

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Got my vise stand completed and vise mounted today.

the base is a 3/8 plate 29x19, 4x4 square tube, 29 inches long; 1 piece of 4x3, the table section was made from a 12x12 x1/8 plate. the leg had been cut off quite short so there is a 1 inch inside diameter pipe with a 3 inch piece of rr spike inside to give the leg support. the stand weighs about 200 lbs with the vise attached and can be moved with a hand truck. both stands are nearly the same for dimensions except for the height.

post-23558-0-12597000-1389920656_thumb.j

post-23558-0-25162600-1389920706_thumb.j

post-23558-0-28303200-1389920719_thumb.j

post-23558-0-08130000-1389920731_thumb.j

post-23558-0-86169500-1389920742_thumb.j