I Forge Iron

where to buy new anvils

My wife got me a TFS for Christmas a couple of years ago.  I sure like it.  She got it from Pieh tool.  They drop shipped it to our local feed store and she managed to get it freight free.  If you mean under 400 dollars, good luck with that.  Jerry

Expect $5 to $8 per pound for new US made anvils, plus shipping. There are some nice ones out there, as mentioned.

Sure makes prices on those older ones look more reasonable, don't it?

Suddenly it does. wow. May have to sell a firearm. No way my other half is going to let me drop a grand on a "hunk of steel". My RR track is going to half to do for a while. I have feelers out so hopefully i'll trip over a used one.

Suddenly it does. wow. May have to sell a firearm. No way my other half is going to let me drop a grand on a "hunk of steel".

That's how I buy all my tools. I say to myself, I'll buy this. Then sell a gun. Haven't sold a gun yet.....
:)
That Blue for the price looks like a nice anvil.
I wonder how well dressed it is.

If I strike out finding a used anvil, who makes a good anvil at a reasonable price.

Hoffman's forge makes a Colonial Pattern Anvil, and a double horned anvil (both new).  Tell Jymm that IFI sent you.

There are used anvils that you can purchase TODAY, RIGHT NOW !!

When you limit the search to 100 to 150 pounds and under $400 you narrow the field considerably. Would you take a 95 pound anvil in perfect condition? or a 400 pound anvil for $420? Does it have to be shipped freight free to your front door, or are you willing to pay shipping? You have a time limit (dead line) that the anvil MUST be purchased before?

Used anvils took less than 5 minutes.

First hit was heavy Anvil - $500 (Abilene - Rochester Tx. )

Peter Wright anvil 90# - $425 (East Austin)

100 lb Trenton Anvil with Stand - $475 (Spring)

You do not strike out as long as you are swinging. You quit swinging and it is game over.

I looked up Abilene on CL and saw the one macbruce referred to.  Based on the side photo it should weigh 107lbs.  Painted and chipped I think I'd pass on that one unless I was real desperate.  Have any friends that travel often to anvil rich areas or taking a trip yourself?  I scored my 200lb PW for $300 when a friend offered to pick one up listed in Pittsburgh and was driving down.  The advice of letting everyone you know, know that you're looking for one works.  Also joining your local abana group would be good.

The one on CL sold for 350. Austin is about 4 hours from here, though I would take a trip down there. I got a brother in round rock. Honestly I would take what I could get for 400. I posted a question on the CL anvil for 500 and folks were saying I could get a new one for that. I guess that's true but the ole you get what you pay for adage comes into play.

Stovestoker,

I think some of those folks saying you could get a "new one for that" may be talking about farrier anvils. The NC tool anvils are only going to be in the 70lb to 112lb range but they are under $500.  I've never used one and my own opinion would be to hold out to find a used blacksmith anvil. 

Ken

ntk, those are merely anvil shaped objects, or ASO's. All  soft cast iron, no steel face. They will dent while forging copper wire.

If you want real steel, you gotta get it from someone who sells tools to those who make their living off of their tools: blacksmith and farrier suppliers.

Hi Brad,  I don't suppose you or anyone else has a bunch of info  on Renato Muskovic's anvils.  I really would like to have something that gives dimensions. etc. along with how they have been standing up.  I have been dreaming of a Fontanini Anvil.  but Surrey isn't all that far away. I'm really hoping that the tax man is going to be kind this year.