I Forge Iron

Finally finished #2.

I welded the billet a couple years ago, and in between other projects and knee surgery recovery, I shaped it by a combination of belt grinder (not real keen on that yet. Still practicing on scrap), draw filing and finally hand sanding to 600 grit before acid etch (muratic warmed in a tray of hot water). Several firsts in this second knife include home made mosaic pins, the patterning methods as well the handle material of which I made several years ago and kept it floating around the shop until it found the proper project. Eventually I will make a sheath from Kydex (another first) to keep with the theme of all man made materials.

The blade material is commercial band saw blade (Lenox, IIRC) and pallet banding. Both are 1.25" or 31.75mm wide. The saw blade is about .06" or 1.52mm thick and the banding slightly thinner. I started with a stack of 21 total layers with the saw blade on the outside (11 and 10) and welded cut in 3 re welded and did some random twist for patter. (don't ask how; I regretfully, didn't make notes) So, roughly, 63 layers not counting scale loss.

The handle material is home made micarta consisting of acrylic resin saturated olive drab polyester (military issue ;) ) The pins are my first attempt at mosaic pins. I don't have a layer count for it but after pressing and curing, it was about a half inch or 1.27cm. Overall length is 8.5" or 21.6cm with a 4.5" or 11.43cm blade.

For your approval:

post-38-0-56796400-1388427952_thumb.jpg  post-38-0-57476500-1388428007_thumb.jpg

Thank you, guys.  -_-  Working on the sheath in between Honey-doos ;) Design is the hard part currently. Two piece? Wrap around? Simple belt loop? Belt slots? ALICE, MOLLE, ILBE fasteners? Eyelets or rivets? The choices are overwhelming :wacko:

Scott

• 4 months later...

Well whadyawant from me anyhow!?! I been busy! :rolleyes: 
So, here it is, finally. Enjoy this one because you won't see another kydex sheathe from me  <_<

Regard:

post-38-0-36064400-1399937744_thumb.jpg  post-38-0-51615600-1399937701_thumb.jpg   post-38-0-44779800-1399937040_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

Well whadyawant from me anyhow!?! I been busy! :rolleyes: 
So, here it is, finally. Enjoy this one because you won't see another kydex sheathe from me  <_<

Thanks,

Scott

I dont blame ya,  seeing how it took ya 4.5 months to make this one  lol

Actually not that hard, Darren as long as you have everything ready and have 3 or 4 hands, but I only used two. :D Luckily, Kydex returns to its original shape when reheated. Unfortunately, Kydex returns to its original shape when reheated :blink:. Third heat and selective use of a heat gun worked a charm though :) Thanks for the kind thoughts, all

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking knife! The pattern is really nice, and your mosaic pins class it up even more. Your sheath turned out well. What did you use to press the Kydex with to the  mold it to the blade? I've seen videos where they use a hinged contraption with hooking latches, until the Kydex cools. Also, some kind of stiff neoprene or closed cell foam. I'm not really sure what that lining material was anymore. You did an excellent job with only two hands! ;) It looks like that sheath holds your knife securely enough. So you've only made two knives, your design sense is impeccable. Robert

LOL. Well, two hands and the "hinged contraption." Thank you Rob. :)  For the press foam I used a 1" thick foam garden kneel pad. Yes, closed cell foam I believe. No latches as it cools so fast I didn't feel they were necessary; just bear down on it for a few seconds. But fast cooling time was part of the problem I was having. In fact, as well as it turned out, I'm finding more and more I don't like about it that I'm thinking I may make a new one for it eventually. In the mean time thanks again, one and all.

Scott

Dodge, beautiful looking knife! That blade is just gorgeous! I think I like the lower layer count pattern weld more than not only a higher layer count, but a contrasting damascus! How do you like working with micarta? I was thinking of ordering some here soon to start working with! I've heard that with a belt sander, it's a very nice material to work with. 

Can't wait to see number 3! 

Thanks, Benton

I made this "micarta" with acrylic resin and polyester fabric. Not sure about commercially made stuff, but I took the same precautions I would as if I were working with resin and fiberglass, the more common fabric used with that sort of resin. I.E. dust respirators. Yes belt grinder made short work of rough shaping and then filing and sand paper to finish. Care needs to be taken when grinding around pins and other metal. If you heat up the metal too much, you could cause it to begin to melt the plastic. However, its nearly as satisfying to see the pattern emerge from micarta as you progress to  finer grits as it is for damascus. Just quicker :D

Scott

• 1 year later...