I Forge Iron

Anybody know what these are?????

I know a few guys who collect old belt driven tools that would love that saw of death to add to their collection. I love walking up and looking at the old belt driven tools they bring out to the Grange Fair every year and hook up to the old hit and miss engines. One guy used to bring a small steam unit, but I haven't seen him in the past 2 or 3 years. I'm afraid he passed and his collection either got scrapped or sold off in pieces.

Yes, those are "Rock Guards" from a Sickle Bar, ... commonly found on Mowing Machines, and on Combines.

-----------------------

Those old belt driven "Tractor Saws" are still a VERY effective way to cross-cut firewood into "Stove Lengths".

They are easily adapted to use with a small gas engine, ( at least 10 hp ) mounted under, or behind the arbor.

If you're determined to cut it up, ... drilling small, strategically placed starter holes, makes it much easier to get clean cuts with the Plasma Torch.

• 3 weeks later...

Guards for a sickle bar mower.  They will be mallable and bend a bit.  We can still buy sickle sections locally but most under 40 don't know what they are ( Krone and the rest of the rotary mowers replaced sickles).  Guards can be used for bottom tools to punch rivets of various kinds out of other things etc.  I have grown up with them and they come in singles, doubles and ends.  they come in various manufacturers and sometimes sizes ( depending on the mower ).   Attached is a link to a picture of a Ford mounted mower:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Series-515-Sickle-Bar-Mower-/231127010792

• 1 month later...

grew up on a farm, and those are from a swather for grain farming. they may be forged, but have also seen cast iron. they direct the wheat stalks/what have you to the serrated triangle shaped cutters, as stated above somewhere. they look cool, if forged they can be used as is for a bick or something, post apocalyptic war hammer maybe. if cast, collect a ton and get your hundred bucks….

While I am not THAT old (early 50's), we used a 36-inch diameter saw blade connected to the belt pulley on a '48 Farmall (guess who still has that tractor!) to cut firewood into pieces as late as 1982. Dad still heats with wood, but just uses his big 4-wheel drive tractor to drag the whole tree trunk (and limbs) to the woodshed and cuts it up there. He's a young 82, but feeds his wood fired boiler twice a day in the winter, and only once a day in the summer (he uses it to preheat the water in the hot water heater).

I do have a couple of knives made from a busted sawblade that take a good edge.