I Forge Iron

forging soul into steel..... a short film...

basher

I really like artsy blacksmith films, they are incredibly relaxing but still inspiring. -Very nice, thank you!

Personally I would prefer a hint of colour during the forging though.

Also it's so nice to see your no-fuss quality approach, with forged tangs. The fact that this shows in the pattern is purely positive in my book. I mention this because I was watching some other patternwelding-videos last night, and it was kind of sad to see how much work and effort went into essentially weakening the product, by cutting the tang and filing very sharp corners in it just to make it look crisp.

I'm not trying to make a point here, I just realized it might seem like I was, just wanted to say I appreciate it.

basher i have just watched that video ( after trying earlier and being disturbed by the kids...) that is the best thing ive seen on here for long time! as well as being very interesting for someone like me who does not make knives, ( LOVED the cutting edge and the oil )  it was just gorgeous to watch! the black and white works BEAUTIFULLY for me, i loved the detail of the dirt in your nails and fingertips and the skin on your hands next to the steel - just lovely!! mesmerising :) and the music was perfect, especially the scraping steel string noise, beautiful beautiful beautiful - lovely composition and playing from your bro. film made more great by the fact that brothers made this - i really totally enjoyed it - and if i may say so, you sport an astonishingly good mustache  :wub:

Thank you all for the kind words.

I have been lucky enough to be involved in quite a few television programs and whilst they can be fun it is incredibly rare that they really see the beauty in the craft.

I  did managed to have a peek behind one of the slow mo cameras one time and was blown away by how good flames were (in this case just slowed down to 1/3  speed).

the camera technology has only just become affordable.

......and even gnarly hairy blacksmiths can look ok in black and white!!!

I have some other footage that we took at the same time that will be out there soon.

AWESOME!!!!  You and your brother will be off to Hollywood soon!  I did think that you overheated the tang when hot fitting the handle though... ideally I like it to melt into place rather than burning... any charring weakens the handle socket.  To that end I usually use a small propane/air torch for the purpose and track the time of heating quite closely.  Really a RARE treat, IME, to watch a very well done video of a truly expert smith at his work!  Thank You!!!

cheers.....

I often burn handles in hot, or at temper temp. when burning in hot  I will normally remove some of the char to aid with gluing.

my normal practice is to temper the tang (up to sub critical) in the process bleeding the temper into the beginning of the blade.

burning in is a usefull process but is dependant greatly upon using a wood suited to it.

Interesting!  I usually use glue only as an overkill reflex.  I depend on the melted resin in the wood as my main glue!  I use all types of wood but will carefully predrill them so that I can melt in successfully without overheating.   In softwoods this can sometimes just be a small starter hole but very dense woods I will taper drill to a near fit before melting in the tangs.  I will only add glue to the end of the socket AFTER I have melted the tang in!  

• 1 month later...