I Forge Iron

memorial garden seat

beth

this is a seat i made recently for a school in memory of a teacher who sadly died. all the forged stuff is out of 40mm or 25mm which was all textured, and the flat plate is 10mm and 8mm. on the seat (and i dont have very good pictures ! you can just see on the last photos)  are lots of copper leaves with words that the children gave me about their teacher stamped onto them. the long curved sections were tricky for me because once they were no longer straight, they were a bit difficult to hold and work with gravity twisting them and all that. i spray painted it myself in the workshop this time which i was pleased with it was way quicker than my usual hand painting...  i had to do this job in a Real Hurry!!!  i had about 4 weeks to do it all including designing, which was a bit of a compromise and not really long enough. im pleased enough with the forged stuff at the top, but am not at all pleased with the plate bits ! i wont do that again... thought i would post it anyway :)

post-4935-0-58172000-1376671296_thumb.jp  post-4935-0-73310500-1376671313_thumb.jp  post-4935-0-06792700-1376671329_thumb.jp  post-4935-0-27219300-1376671343_thumb.jp  post-4935-0-87601000-1376671357_thumb.jp  post-4935-0-55949700-1376671394_thumb.jp  post-4935-0-34800300-1376671411_thumb.jp

Beth - that bench turned out great! - very nice design, the plate for the seat backs resemble a school desk chair and yes you could have maybe textured or something but then but that would have added to the cost and labor of the job - the visual is the rest of the framework and the leaves - Well Done!!!

Beth, I tend to concur with the body at large. The plain, institutional character if the seats and seat backs framed by the graceful and whimsical vines and leaves works well. I think the people that new her will apretiate the contrast, and the generations to come will simply enjoy the seat and the art.
Often our "mistakes" are the best testaments to our art.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the comments you lot - ive been on holiday! im pleased enough with the work, but you need to learn what you did wrong in order to improve eh! i dont take on many blacksmithing jobs, (do all kinds of different things) so i try to learn in the biggest chunks i can manage, and this was a bit tricky. but thats ok! :)

thanks nuge and colleen - i originally planned to use the 25mm textured round as edging for the plate, on the backs of the seats and the bit you sit on, which i think would have added visual weight, i agree thats what it needed -  but i ran out of time. it was a funny project, with odd constraints, like i said before i had very little time to think properly about what i wanted to do!

thankyou for your comments -  i hope the children will use it :) i never met the lady who died, but i heard all kinds of lovely things about her from the other teachers. by the end of the few weeks i felt like i knew her.

• 2 weeks later...