I Forge Iron

Forged holes, I like them!

Forged holes have something about them that I like. 

Here are 24 of them :

post-14003-0-73505100-1369780498_thumb.j

They are nice with the material giving the item something like hips instead of vanishing away. There is elegance in them.

post-14003-0-54321400-1369780655_thumb.j

They are a signature, a way of saying that a blacksmith made this, they are a statement

post-14003-0-67423600-1369780887_thumb.j

These are for hinges that will not realy be seen by anyone and if seen, probably unnoticed. But I know.

I did my first drifted hole the other day thanks to the miss. forge council. They sent me the drift punch. Mine didn't turn out as nice as yours though. All I had was the pritchel hole and it made it kind of sloppy looking. Yours are beautiful!

Oddtodd out

Greetings again Yves,

I once made a complete railing to the second floor of an observatory with 5/8 round bar stock with 3/4 punched and drifted holes for insetting 3/4 bronze balls to look like planets leading up to a header with a bronze sphere.  

Yep I was punch drunk     Jim

Machinists like to say that they can make anything.  Ask them to make a 3/4" hole in 3/4" bar.  Blacksmiths can do that.  

I'm a part-time machinist too, I like this statement!  :D

I'll have to make a sign for the machine shop- "I'm so good, I can make a 3/4" hole in a 3/4" bar!"

....that outta win me a few beer bets!!

Greetings again Yves,

I once made a complete railing to the second floor of an observatory with 5/8 round bar stock with 3/4 punched and drifted holes for insetting 3/4 bronze balls to look like planets leading up to a header with a bronze sphere.  

Yep I was punch drunk     Jim

I want to see this and others with me I'm sure.

Greetings Yves,

I'll see what I can dig up .   Might still have one left.... I'ts not all that hard...

Jim

I believe they may have meant pics of the railing... That's what I would love to see.

Greetings Yves...last,

This is the best I can do at this time...  It has been 12 years and the bad news is my old laptop hard drive crashed and took most of my digital portfolio with it.. I will still try to find a hard copy but we just moved to our north house after closing my shop and selling our downstate house..  Lots of stuff still in boxes..

Jim

post-30666-0-48752100-1369875105_thumb.j

post-30666-0-43224900-1369875138_thumb.j

post-30666-0-03957200-1369875165_thumb.j

Frosty.

Yep a lot of slit and drift... Had a bunch of spindles in that job...  One key to forming a 3/4 hole in a 5/8 round bar  was to form the hole on 2 ball peen hammers to achieve he roundness...  The one sitting on my little anvil was a reject...      Your right its a 500 pound Trenton on  the original cast stand..  Belt line weld with a tool steel top...  I thought you would ask...

Have a delightful day my frigid friend.

Jim

Frosty.

Yep a lot of slit and drift... Had a bunch of spindles in that job...  One key to forming a 3/4 hole in a 5/8 round bar  was to form the hole on 2 ball peen hammers to achieve he roundness...  The one sitting on my little anvil was a reject...      Your right its a 500 pound Trenton on  the original cast stand..  Belt line weld with a tool steel top...  I thought you would ask...

Have a delightful day my frigid friend.

Jim

Frigid? You haven't even asked me out on a date! <grin> It's 83f. right now, last week this time the last and really late season snow storm was just about melted off.

So, once you've slit and drifted the hole, you us ball peins as top and bottom tools to form the hole. Doesn't that leave a pretty wasp wasted hole? I'd think it'd take a final drive with a ball pein over a bolster. The final form would be established after the spindle was inserted with a top/bottom swage. I know the tool has a name but it escapes me right now.

How do you figure the allowance to slit so the hole fits snugly? I've tried using the circumference divided by two but wasn't too happy with the result.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Frosty,

Your question....  I use Whittkers chart of 40 45 percent... Butttt a lot of SWAG...   The drift after slitting is a staged so the metal moves slow.  I upset it as I am going...  

Forge on

Jim

Thanks Jim. I don't do it very often and have had fair luck taking it a little at a time. I was hoping for the magic bullet number but know better than to expect one. A boy can always hope though. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.