I Forge Iron

Gate for a customer

Farmweld

Greetings Farm,

Nicely proportioned .. The elements are spaced well and the overall look is stunning...  I made allot of gates in my time and yours is similar.  Picture a forged circle in the center to break up the vertical lines...  Sometimes an oval is cool.... I think you have enough balls.... I built one for a customer that had a thing for circles.. Yep he drove a Audi..  What do you use for a final finish ? 

Forge on

Jim

Thanks for the feedback.  Finished product will be powdercoated, black from memory.  I've still go tot go through and tidy up some dodgy welds, de-splatter the whole thing, tweak some of the scrolls etc.  I should have put the dimensions in, it's about 7' (2.1m) tall and just under 4'6" (1.4m) wide and the final weight was around 160# (75kg).  Thank god for a gantry.

Andrew

Thanks all for the feedback again. 

The design work is done by Trish, my wife and partner, who has a lot better eye for design than I do.  I'm learning slowly though.  I just have to interpret the drawings into something that works, which has caused the occasional argument in the past when fine elements will not support the weight involved.  She also got a plasma cutter for her last birthday and has been cutting out her own designs.  Checkout the Farmweld facebook http://www.facebook.com/Farmweld page for a couple she put up recently

Time so far is about 28 - 30 hours.  I cheated with the bulk of the scrolls and made a jig, which took a quite a while to get tweaked to 'just right', and then it only took about three hours to do the 16 scrolls in the body.  The topper took about 12 hours as it is pretty well all hand done.  The rest of the time was cutting metal for the frame and assembling the whole lot, and then align, measure, adjust, measure, stand back and look, adjust, measure, contemplate some more, commit, cut, tack, measure, (swear), adjust, WELD, decide that a blind man would be glad to see the glaring errors, cut form and fit the collars, get a hernia trying to lift it off the bench, prop it up and take a photo.

Trish also worked the photo magic to convert it from colour to B&W, mainly because the photo off the phone was pretty washed out, and the above was the end result.

Andrew

Excellent job Andrew, personally I would like to have seen a little more of a C on the top two centre supporting scrolls, as the flat section in their centres does not seem to sit easy on the eye, but thats just my opinion, would be interested in yours on that issue for future reference.