I Forge Iron

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 50 lb Fisher dated roughly 1890-1892 off the top of my head. If I can locate the small camera, I'll dump the picts I took of it the other week for you here when I get the chance.

College at Bryn Athyn has a couple of large Fishers as well as a tiny bench anvil in their blacksmithing studio. Warren of Iron Studio LTD, who just joined  here not long ago, can probably get you the sizes and quantities since he does the teaching there.

Nice anvil! I guess the “cast steel” refers to the top plate. Has this stamping been seen on other Fisher anvils?

"Cast Steel" is stamped into a few of the early (1850's) Fisher anvils that I have, and it is in several that friends have.  Yes, it does refer to the top plate, not the whole anvil.

Early Fisher anvils used "Jasper Tool Steel", which I believe was imported from England for the top plate.  One of the mysteries left out there:  I have never found out who and where the horn steel plate were made.   There are no workers left from the Crossley era who might have known.

Were the horn steel plates ground heavily to shape after casting or completely/mostly pre shaped? I’m guessing they were pre shaped but how? In power hammer or power press dies?

They were cast steel.  I have some of the patterns that were used, but I have never found any record of who or where they were cast.  I have many that were never used.  Come and see.

I see – they really were “Cast Steel” rather than ‘cast steel’-- the generic term for some tool steels of the era which would have been forged to shape. Were the main top plates actually cast to shape or sheared from cast steel plate?  

Will make it there at some point. Can’t wait!

I see – they really were “Cast Steel” rather than ‘cast steel’-- the generic term for some tool steels of the era which would have been forged to shape. Were the main top plates actually cast to shape or sheared from cast steel plate?  

Will make it there at some point. Can’t wait!

The flat top plates were cut from a 0-1 water hardening type of steel.  They were not cast as the horn steel was.

Now you've given me an excuse to come see your museum, NJ.!  Seller offered to strap that big boy to a pallet and send it up here to the frozen tundra.  Glad it went to another good home (but I would have enjoyed beating upon it ;) )

If you are coming to the ABANA event in August, plan to stop here afterwards.  I am only about a two hour drive north of there(a short drive for those of you in the West).  Even if you are not coming then, plan a trip in someday.  No one who has ever been here has not been overwhelmed. 

Hi Joshua-

I purchased this 400lb fisher from Fred Moore (See the thread the largest anvil collection) today. It wasn't as good a deal as you got that 500lber I'm sure but not bad. It has an excellent face and horn but the only trouble is that it apparently laid in an area where much moisture got to the side with the insignia and to the back with the date. I can barely make out the date, I think its 1932. It has no lugs. If you need any other info please holler. BTW Fred is selling many of his anvils, all of his power hammers( Matchless antiques have already bought most) and I think most if not all of his cones plus much of the other non- anvil stuff. He is keeping the rarer anvils and the bigger anvils. You should probably contact him for info on the remaining Fisher anvils, he has at least a dozen, many over 350lbs.

post-25611-0-63960200-1390437295_thumb.j

post-25611-0-26179200-1390437331_thumb.j

post-25611-0-07021100-1390437353_thumb.j

post-25611-0-39225700-1390437378_thumb.j

Hi Joshua-

I purchased this 400lb fisher from Fred Moore (See the thread the largest anvil collection) today. It wasn't as good a deal as you got that 500lber I'm sure but not bad. It has an excellent face and horn but the only trouble is that it apparently laid in an area where much moisture got to the side with the insignia and to the back with the date. I can barely make out the date, I think its 1932. It has no lugs. If you need any other info please holler. BTW Fred is selling many of his anvils, all of his power hammers( Matchless antiques have already bought most) and I think most if not all of his cones plus much of the other non- anvil stuff. He is keeping the rarer anvils and the bigger anvils. You should probably contact him for info on the remaining Fisher anvils, he has at least a dozen, many over 350lbs.

Nice Fisher.  At least the corrosion is not where it matters.  Only a few 400 lb Fishers had lugs.  Most did not.  And I agree is is 193x.

I have looked at the videos of the collection.  I doubt there is anything there that I seek.  And it is almost 3000 miles away!  I am now only looking for the custom and rare model Fishers.  I have the rest....Not that I would not mind seeing his collection some day.

Fred probably wouldn't sell his rarer Fishers(right now) but he does have several that you might be able to use the info from. One (500lber) has the cutout on the side for a Chambersberg blacker hammer and one has a special groove built under the tail for a swage or something similar. He does have quite a few above 400lbs up to 700lbs I think. He told me he is getting old and wants to cut down the number of anvils he has. I don't think his sons are all that interested in them. Probably won't be much longer before they all go back into the market. He said he is waiting for someone to win the lottery and buy them all at one time.

Fred probably wouldn't sell his rarer Fishers(right now) but he does have several that you might be able to use the info from. One (500lber) has the cutout on the side for a Chambersberg blacker hammer and one has a special groove built under the tail for a swage or something similar. He does have quite a few above 400lbs up to 700lbs I think. He told me he is getting old and wants to cut down the number of anvils he has. I don't think his sons are all that interested in them. Probably won't be much longer before they all go back into the market. He said he is waiting for someone to win the lottery and buy them all at one time.

Thanks for the info.  I have three FISHER  Blacker anvils, and all of the traditional style FISHER anvils from 1/2 lb to 800 lb., plus lots more.