I Forge Iron

11 hours ago, Prentice said:

Ok still new to this. How can I finde out how much my anvil is worth?

10 hours ago, Latticino said:

Sell it to someone and see what they will pay for it.

Not to be facetious, but anvil value varies widely dependent on where you live and what the local demand is for blacksmithing tools (or "collectable antiques", unfortunately).  There are more rare anvils, and condition matters as well, not to mention how quickly you want to turn it over.  If in decent condition list it for under $1 a pound and it will fly out of your hands.  You may have to wait a bit if listed for $3 a pond or more, unless it is something special.  Some areas are paying up to $5 a pound, but that is typically for a more rare size or type in excellent condition.  Don't be fooled by pricing on e-bay.

8 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

that anvil in middle tn where i live would be in the 450-500 dollar range.

Gentlemen:  Please start a new topic on this anvil.  This thread is about Fisher anvils.  Please do not continue this discussion here.  Thank you.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious to see if age can be determined for this 235lb Fisher I looked at today. The eagle is stamped into the body, 'FISHER' is on left side of front lug, and what looks like a 5 above the rear lug. No other markings found and the face is in great shape. Long story short, the owner might have changed his mind about selling the Fisher for now. Nothing wrong with that because after the holidays I might have another chance at getting my first Fisher...

001.JPG

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Just curious to see if age can be determined for this 235lb Fisher I looked at today. The eagle is stamped into the body, 'FISHER' is on left side of front lug, and what looks like a 5 above the rear lug. No other markings found and the face is in great shape. Long story short, the owner might have changed his mind about selling the Fisher for now. Nothing wrong with that because after the holidays I might have another chance at getting my first Fisher...

001.JPG

I have a Fisher anvil that is also marked with just a 5 where the date usually is.  I believe these were made in the 1950's, towards the end of the Fisher production.  But before Crossley took over and made anvils until 1979.   

This anvil was probably sold as a 250 lb.  Fisher was never exact in their weights.

If you can get this anvil, it is a lifetime investment, for you, and more generations after.  It appear to be unused.

15 hours ago, njanvilman said:

I have a Fisher anvil that is also marked with just a 5 where the date usually is.  I believe these were made in the 1950's, towards the end of the Fisher production.  But before Crossley took over and made anvils until 1979.   

This anvil was probably sold as a 250 lb.  Fisher was never exact in their weights.

If you can get this anvil, it is a lifetime investment, for you, and more generations after.  It appear to be unused.

Thanks for the info! I think the plan worked, I believe he changed his mind about selling it for now. After the holidays I will have to contact him again and persuade him to sell me my first Fisher.lol

It is just amazing there is a Fisher in that nice condition out here...

On 11/11/2016 at 9:18 PM, Pac said:

Thanks for the info! I think the plan worked, I believe he changed his mind about selling it for now. After the holidays I will have to contact him again and persuade him to sell me my first Fisher.lol

It is just amazing there is a Fisher in that nice condition out here...

The Fisher & Norris Factory Museum has about a dozen Fisher anvils that are virtually new.  Most look like they were never used.  I find it amazing too.