I Forge Iron

There is a very unusual Fisher for sale on that e something place that I'm wondering if it's a hack and weld job or the real deal. Seller says the odd tail was welded on, but I was wondering if it was one of those special Fishers. Hoping nanvilman will chime in.

Dated 1920, weighs 130# Marked 12.

So far it's cheap and not to far away from me, well only 4 hours. But I drive by Pasadena a couple times a year.

post-35726-0-66285200-1390699263_thumb.j

post-35726-0-72969600-1390699313_thumb.j

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a hack-n-weld to replace the snapped off heel.  In the second photo you can see a weld line across the face.  And, if that had been OEM design, the heel would have been blended smoothly into the main body.

It would still be useful, though, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price was below $2/lb.  Fisher's are great pieces, and the face looks nice and flat, with good edges.  

Definitely a hack-n-weld to replace the snapped off heel.  In the second photo you can see a weld line across the face.  And, if that had been OEM design, the heel would have been blended smoothly into the main body.

It would still be useful, though, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price was below $2/lb.  Fisher's are great pieces, and the face looks nice and flat, with good edges.  

I agree with VaughnT on that call.  Someone had or found a broken FISHER and made a custom tail for it.  It looks like they did a decent job.  I just wonder how the welds will hold up to pounding on tooling in either hole?   Most of the welding is to cast iron.  I wonder if there is any kind of mechanical joint into the main body?   The rest of the anvil is decent. 

Marked with FN under horn. no date seen at this time. Pre 1877? Scales at 147lbs. preparing to restore soon. Overall it's in good shape. One side has strong pocs and I believe it's best to remove a small amount of steel rounding the one edge to prevent any breakage from occurring. I'll post photo to get others opinions.

post-41299-0-20730800-1391220389_thumb.j

post-41299-0-07927800-1391220390_thumb.j

post-41299-0-39762600-1391220390_thumb.j

post-41299-0-36366200-1391220535_thumb.j

post-41299-0-11016100-1391220537_thumb.j

post-41299-0-25533100-1391220538_thumb.j

Marked with FN under horn. no date seen at this time. Pre 1877? Scales at 147lbs. preparing to restore soon. Overall it's in good shape. One side has strong pocs and I believe it's best to remove a small amount of steel rounding the one edge to prevent any breakage from occurring. I'll post photo to get others opinions.

The FN marked Fisher anvils were all made between 1870 and 1880.  They had one of the three logos that spanned that time.  I would questimate yours to be from around 1875 to 1879.

• 2 months later...

Well, as you know Njanvilman I recently got a 200# cast in 1965 (you answered some questions about it in another topic) and I have two others that I mentioned in this topic earlier.  I finally have pictures of all three.

post-8275-0-36769600-1398913255_thumb.jppost-8275-0-97129800-1398913413_thumb.jppost-8275-0-70022200-1398913538_thumb.jp

The small 60# has FISHER cast into the front of the base and a 6 on the front right foot.

The one with the logo has a patent date of 1877 cast into it, but has no weight cast on it (it is 140lbs), this is my current working anvil.

The one with the lugs is the 200# 1965, it will be my new shop anvil as soon as I fabricate a stand.  

The small 60# has FISHER cast into the front of the base and a 6 on the front right foot.

The one with the logo has a patent date of 1877 cast into it, but has no weight cast on it (it is 140lbs), this is my current working anvil.

The one with the lugs is the 200# 1965, it will be my new shop anvil as soon as I fabricate a stand.  

Looks like someone else has the FisherDisease.  ;-))

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/4/2016 at 4:21 PM, C-1ToolSteel said:

That's a beast. How mu ch did u pay for it?

i got all of my dads blacksmith equipment when he passed

On 11/6/2016 at 9:57 AM, Tubalcain2 said:

nice anvil. i rely need (want) a big shop anvil like that.

i have a big hydraulic press im willing to sell and a 25ld little giant in great condition for the right price

9 hours ago, Prentice said:

i got all of my dads blacksmith equipment when he passed

i have a big hydraulic press im willing to sell and a 25ld little giant in great condition for the right price

Please start a new thread or post in the Tailgating section.  Do not hijack this thread about FISHER anvils with stuff you have for sale.

2 hours ago, njanvilman said:

2 hours ago, njanvilman said:

Please start a new thread or post in the Tailgating section.  Do not hijack this thread about FISHER anvils with stuff you have for sale.

Ok still new to this. How can I finde out how much my anvil is worth?

Sell it to someone and see what they will pay for it.

Not to be facetious, but anvil value varies widely dependent on where you live and what the local demand is for blacksmithing tools (or "collectable antiques", unfortunately).  There are more rare anvils, and condition matters as well, not to mention how quickly you want to turn it over.  If in decent condition list it for under $1 a pound and it will fly out of your hands.  You may have to wait a bit if listed for $3 a pond or more, unless it is something special.  Some areas are paying up to $5 a pound, but that is typically for a more rare size or type in excellent condition.  Don't be fooled by pricing on e-bay.