I Forge Iron

Need a anvil stand

New guy here,

I need to make a stand for my anvil and it is hard to find big logs here. what would be a good alternative,

I had thought about getting some Burke tube [thick cardboard round form]  about 14-16" in diameter and filling it full of concrete about 1" from the top. after it sets I would set my anvil on it and pour it full of quickcrete to form around the base of the anvil to keep it from moving around. before the first pour had set I would have put in some all thread for anchors and make some straps to hold the anvil. I would also stick a few pieces of 3/8" all thread in the side to use for hanger brackets. It would probably weigh more then any anvil I will ever have but wont be too heavy.  Does this sound like it will work?

Casey

Greetings Earthquake,

Ya going to build an anvil stand that will survive an earehquake...   You can go to Home Depot and get some treated 4x6 lumber cross pile and nail together and you will have a stand.... Now you can add some small brackets to the side for anvil tools and some hold down brackets..

Good luck

Jim

A good, solid anvil stand, can be inexpensively made, from any appropriately sized metal container, filled with sand, or fine ( pea ) gravel.

If you can't find a "used" container, a 10 to 15 gallon galvanized trash can, will probably be about the right height.

It works out well when the can is a few inches taller than necessarry.

You can fill the can to the desired depth, and still have theraised  "rim" to hang tools.

Obviously, with this type stand, it's also a simple matter to "adjust' the height of your anvil.

I just made decent stand for my 100lb Vulcan by cross stacking 2x4 cut to length and glued and screwed in a "cribbing" fashion...

Might consider going to some wood working places or limber mills and see if the have any timber (dimensional) ends you can glue/screw/clamp together to create synthetic/artificial stump..... 4 -  6x6 timbers clamped together to create a 12x12 inch square should do just fine.....

Go to Google Images and put in "Anvil Stand" as search string for ideas.... Or just click link below...

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=anvil+stand

Also a search string of "Anvil Base" brings up a whole set of different pics....

Dale

As Jim suggests, I went to Home Depot and grabbed some 4x6 lumber( they even cut them to 4' sections to fit in the car ). I used threaded rod and some angle iron and put it all together like the attached picture.

I've had people suggest that I should install some anvil hold downs though. I did route out the shape of the anvil base though.

post-13140-0-48103100-1362789690_thumb.j

If you weld, an alternate solution would be to fabricate one out of steel.  I used scrap 2x2x1/4" & 2x3x1/4" square tubing and angle iron to make mine.  Not as adjustable as a container filled w/ sand, but I did later lower it by switching to a thinner board that sits between the anvil & the stand.  Then I filled the legs and tray w/ sand to minimize any ringing.  The eyebolts are to be used for a spring loaded hold down I plan on making out of rebar and springs from a drum brake.  I went with a tripod design in case the ground wasn't level it wouldn't rock.

post-34362-0-38064200-1362792333_thumb.j

mine is up on blocks till I get something better. the blocks work fine. my anvil is 275 pounds I think, it don't move around much. I have been thinking of filling the block with cement, and putting bolts in to tie the anvil down, but for now this works.

post-2198-0-98433000-1362794260_thumb.jp

I still like these styles for quick and dirty stands:

anvil_stand_01.jpg

anvil_stand_02.jpg

Easy to move, and if you're patient about getting scrap wood, really cheap to make.

YES!.... This is what my latest stand is, this is what I meant by "cribbing method" in earlier comment.... Mine was made from all scrap ends from cut off bin at local wood truss company....Only investment was glue and screws...

Only draw back is if you clamp anvil to tight to stand it tends to reverberate hammer strikes... IF you let anvil sit on top, and just just the proper amount of chain (clamp)  to retain anvil where you want it but not  pulled to tight it will be quieter... Learned this after backing securing bolts that hold chain a turn or two...

Dale

Cement, over time, will eventually crack and break out. It's a great structural material but not hold up to shock loading, which is what kind of force you'll be applying with the hammer.... Use the wood cribbing method. Much cheaper, much faster, much easier, and MUCH lighter.

-Hillbilly

I made a concrete base for a Papa Rhino anvil I had.  I know people say that a concrete base eventually will break but mine lasted a long time without any sign of wear. It also adds a lot of mass to the equation. I was fortunate. I found an old cistern which had been scrapped as it was leaking. I cut some holes in both sides to take porter bars and then filled it with concrete. I had some scrap castings which I dropped in the mix to make it even heavier. As I reached the holes I put plastic water pipe in and just continued to pour. Once the cement had gone off I twisted the plastic pipe out to leave the holes through the block. The cistern was just an ideal size but was about 1" taller than I needed so I just left the rim of the cistern proud by that amount. The anvil never budged, The whole thing was very successful. I left it at my previous school where it is still in use several years later with a double bick anvil they have now got which is about a 280#.

Simple, cheap and very massive!

I wouldn't cast a commercial anvil into the concrete. Installing anchors and a vibration damping pad instead. I have built one of 2x lumber (2x8 I think) on end, and staggered. So a strap went across the Scallaps for tool holders. I think I actually got the idea here or anvil fire back a few years ago. I also use a 3 leg for my portable rig. I like the extra mass of the wooden stands, but I can't denie the stability of the three legged ones. I have ask seen one that was 2x lumber splayed front and back, with a 2x top and plywood sides ( here or anvil fire?) that would work well as a form for a concrete mass. Hm, I have some 10" Chanel and 1/8" plate in my stash...

Matt K.  Would it be possible to post a picture of the vise? to the right of your anvil and wood stand in picture number 2 and some information about it?  Thankyou.  Armand

Don't have any pics of that one. I do have this one of a modified 'faster' swan-necked vice. I personally like the spring-loaded, foot-operated ones, but they don't clamp as firmly for hard work as the more traditional ones do. Link to a source here.

swan_neck_vice.jpg

I wouldn't cast a commercial anvil into the concrete. Installing anchors and a vibration damping pad instead. I have built one of 2x lumber (2x8 I think) on end, and staggered. So a strap went across the Scallaps for tool holders. I think I actually got the idea here or anvil fire back a few years ago. I also use a 3 leg for my portable rig. I like the extra mass of the wooden stands, but I can't denie the stability of the three legged ones. I have ask seen one that was 2x lumber splayed front and back, with a 2x top and plywood sides ( here or anvil fire?) that would work well as a form for a concrete mass. Hm, I have some 10" Chanel and 1/8" plate in my stash...

Don't cast it into the concrete but standing the anvil on concrete worked well.