I Forge Iron

Need drawings, measurements, etc to build a leg vise

homeshow

You want a view or a VISE ?
How wide do the jaws have to be ?
You want it to hold 1/4 inch round bar 12 inches long, or 1-1/4 inch plate say 4 x 8 feet in size?

How much gripping strength do you need ?
You want to forge or fabricate the vise ?

I want to build a vehicle, what metal do I need to order ? Lots of questions that need answered.

My club is looking into doing leg views as a work project. They did 8 spare tire power hammers last year. Now some of the membership want leg views. Including me! Anyone have measured drawings and a materials list?

seems like a very a strange request, asking for a leg view, but here is mine: 30 inch inseam, size 10 shoe :D

post-2529-0-93430500-1353529248_thumb.jp

I could not resist , after all the hazing I get as the resident typo king, seemed good for a laugh

I laughed. I was getting ready to reach for my camera when I saw your photograph. :D

While I already have enough vises, I would seriously consider participating in a workshop to forge vises just for the learning experience. His blacksmithing group, sounds like a great group of folks.

Does anything in that pile of links Glen posted mention the hammer in where Clifton Ralph and his merry band forged the big parts of a post vise under a Chambersburg steam hammer? IBA Tipton meet IIRC? Could be some good info there, but entirely forging one is a big project. There may also be some detailed drawings in the Blacksmith's Journal back issues. It was an excellent monthly periodical 10 or 15 years ago.

• 2 months later...

Go to the Arizona artist blacksmith association (aaba) look under newsletters I think and there's an issue on fabbing a post vice for around 150 bucks worth of material. Ill the smiths I no that have made them love them cause u can do interchangeable jaws and run longer stock down the center. Next to a smithin magician its next on my list of tools to make

How about posting some pics with comparisons to other things...then possibly some dimensions. I could do it but I am not sure it is really worth the trouble.

And the biggest trouble maker of the project could be the box with the internal threads. Those guys..big trusshead or acme style threads are contankerous in the internal threading department.

Carry on