I Forge Iron

Welding a Tools Steel Top to a Cast Iron Anvil

I have a 55lb cast iron anvil my father is letting me use. I want to know if i could source a good steel plate could attach it to the top? I would also want to fix some mass on the bottom to increase the weight and stability.
I was thinking, since it has a extended face shelf, I could weld angle iron to my steel plate and slide it on.
I also have a arc welder.
I have this anvil (the one at the top):
http://www.anvilfire...zly_and_ASO.php

Could this be done or am I wasting my time?
Thank you.

Here's what I did. I found a leaf spring from a coal hauling trailer. They were the right width for the anvil. Cut off the excess length off. Preheat the anvil and run a stringer bead focused mainly on the anvil with a nickel 99 rod. Follow that with either a 7018 or 309 stainless rod focusing the bead twards the steel plate. Use short beads of 1 1/2" move 6" around and keep going until finished. This worked but the anvil was still dead. I ended up cutting the plate off and am now in the process of surfacing it with the 309 stainless rod wich suprisingly enough bonded to the cast. Good luck.

Lets just say, I've been suffering from a bad case of tennis elbow for over a year because of that anvil. I had to strike so hard to do a little. I'm using a piece of RR track flipped upside down and boxed in. It works so much better. Get some 309 stainless and surface the anvil. It will make for a more lively face. Just preheat and don't run beads next to each other consecutively to keep heat buildup to a minimum. Once you get a good layer built up you can run them together. The plate worked better than nothing but I wouldn't do it that way again.

For the amount of time and materials you're going to spend welding on a plate or resurfacing, it would be easier and cheaper to just get a real anvil.

Based on what I have seen and read, these sorts of anvil repair projects tend to only make sense if one or more of these is true:
- your time has no value
- you have the tools and materials for repair available at no cost to you
- a real anvil is prohibitively expensive in your area
- a real anvil is unavailable in your area
- you really enjoy anvil repair

If I were in your shoes, I would just use the cast iron anvil as-is for now, and save my time and money for a real one. They are out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Markus

Good Morning,

IMHO, I would use what you have until you get another anvil. A rock is better than nothing. Trying to rework the cast iron anvil is like trying to make Honey out of old Dog droppings. There is nothing wrong with a Farrier anvil, they work fine for most applications. If you are going to beat on it with a 10-12 lbs. Sledge hammer, make sure you are working over the waist.

I would offer the person $250-300.00 and leave him your contact number. If nobody else calls, he will call you back. If he doesn't call you back, you have lost nothing. Finding an Anvil is a 'Patience Game'. If you have patience, you will find the anvil. Maybe not for $200.00, but for a reasonable figure. Look at all the old farms, old second hand stores, put an want-ad in the newspaper or your area om-line system (Usedtorontoarea.com or Kijiji). There will be one with your name on it.

Neil Gustafson

Thanks for the advice. I will be going with my Dad next time he visits the scrap yard.
For the record, although many people ask for $5 a pound or more, they never do get it.
I was looking at the Quebec Kijiji as well and I saw a nice anvil north of Montreal for $400, looked to be around 200 pounds. Quebec is little far though..

Good Morning,

Quebec is not far!!! Trucks go there everyday!!! Canadian Freightway is the most reasonable price that I have found. Don't be in a hurry, when the truck gets there, it gets there. Sometimes they won't ship to a residence, figure out a business they can send it to (your Dad's work?, a corner garage/service station that your dad deals with).

Neil

As long as you are working hot steel with a hand hammer a plain mild steel block will stand up pretty well. If you cannot find a decent block for a good price True Cut steel in Hamilton will cut you a piece from plate for a pretty good price. I often find I can get a piece cut to what I want from them for the same or less than I can find a piece of secondary steel at a steel yard. You could ask them to cut from the edge of a piece of plate so you get one clean face. If they cannot they cut so clean you should be able to flatten the face in an hour or so with an angle grinder.

The key to the Fisher anvil is the bond between the steel face and the cast iron body. They did this as part of the casting using a patented process that they spent a lot of time and effort developing. Trying to replicate it would probably be slightly more expensive than buying a truckload of high grade anvils new.

Now if you are doing a full penetration weld of a tool steel top onto a cast iron anvil you *might* get a suitable bond and it would probably only cost slightly more than buying a good anvil in time and consumables.

Or you can just go to the scrapyard and pick up a big hunk of steel and have an anvil *better* than that used for most of the past 2000 years and muck like the japanese use for swordsmithing. At the scrapyard Saturday I got 90# of steel for US$10.

Now folks let's review some basics on finding an anvil cheap---do you really expect that people who are *trying* to make money off of selling an anvil to be selling it cheap? It's sort of like complaining about the cost of buying a diamond ring but the only place you are looking is Tiffany. If you want an inexpensive anvil *YOU* have to go looking for it---and sitting around on the internet doesn't count! Find all those anvil hiding in gardens, sheds, garages, etc---where the owner would be tickled pink to get *some* cash for it but is not expecting to get top prices as seen on the internet.