I Forge Iron

Balancing forging with life

I have been thinking about this for some time.

I am an amateur . I also have a rich professional life in my chosen vocation, And also an intricate family life. Yet I have a passion for my current hobby. For all the amateurs out there-how do you balance your passion for smithing with all the demands you experience on a daily basis?

It seems like I want to have it all- I am lucky enough to have a wife that makes it possible, Yet it does get tricky at times.

Just interested in how others manage.
If you have the time, please reply.

G'day Robert. I guess if 'smithing is a hobby, it just has to fit in with the rest of life.
For the professionals it's their work and livleyhood, so a different story.
Speaking for myself, I do get frustrated when I can't keep a project rolling because life, work/family/whatever gets in the way.
Just means I do a lot of thinking of the steps/designs/changes/etc of a piece or project when the brain is not otherwise engaged with the work/family/whatever...do a lot of thinking and designing when I'm driving

I just smith. I the rest of my life find time to fit in somewhere between hammer blows. Smithing lets me express my creativity, is great stress relief, allows for the best alone time I can get, makes my mind work things out more than my "regular job" , and just all in all makes me feel good. When something does that for me I let everything else find it's own place in my life's schedule.

What are the true priorities in your life? I am a hobby blacksmith yet I spend most of my spare time at the forge. It brings in income that helps out and I can easily justify it. My wife is ill and likes to just hear me outside in the smithy at the anvil. My kids are all grown and have moved on.

But, when the wife calls for me, I leave what I am doing when safe to do so and go to her. If I need to put out the fire, so be it. I can always continue at a later time. The forge has never kissed me goodnight.

My children take priority over the forge. (They will most likely pick out my nursing home).

If a friends donkey gets stuck in a ditch, I leave the forge and help him get his donkey out of the ditch. What things in your life do you plan on doing or having for the rest of your life. Friends and family will (should) last you way past your ability to forge.

Like Mr Frank alluded to in the above reply, You are not married to your forge.

It can be all consuming. Keep your priorities in line with your families priorities and things should run smoothly.

Mark <><

One thing I do is keep my shop orderly. That way, when I do get time, I am ready to roll. Most tools are out on pegs and hooks, that way I don't have to get them out each time (lockable shop, really saves time). I pick up supplies on my way home, may not use them for a day or two, but, when I'm ready, so is the job. I just made a cutting table/grinding area, this keeps my shop cleaner and I spend less time cleaning. Time has value, Kids need dads, wife needs husband, house, lawn, car, job... Sometimes my wife shops... I forge at the same time. Frank sums it up! Great quote, applies to a lot of things!

Smithing fits nicely between what I've got to do, what my wife say's I've got to do and everything else. I used to hot rod, that was getting expensive and I hated getting greasy. I sold the car and got a boat; that was just a hole in the water I pored money and time into. Smithing allows me to express my artistic side, keeps me home and almost pays for itself. The last part helps the wife be a little more understanding. ;)

I have 3 days off each week from my regular job, the smithing gig has been going pretty good and I got it ok'd to have 4 days off starting in january. So it will be part time there and part time blacksmithing.

I think the guy that runs stumptown forge used to be a lawyer, he quit to be a blacksmith.

I just re-read what I wrote and it didn't come out quite right. When I mentioned family, I wasn't resenting time with them as opposed to forge time. Family is always first, it's just that a visit to see the kids involves about 8oo Km (500 Miles), 8-9 hours driving and however many days we spend there.
Iron Woody, designing and driving isn't really dangerous, it's only when it gets to the marker-pen-on-windscreen stage that it gets a bit hairy.... :D

I have to drag out the forge, anvil and tools, and usually by the time i get the fire going, I have to stop. I have more unfinished projects nagging at me than i care to admit, and it seems my list of things i see and want to try keeps growing by the week. My family and work must come first though, and as i've become more involved in this new addiction, i'm starting to think there will never be enough time to do all the work i'd like to, so I just try and make what litle time I squeeze out count, and enjoy it.

I keep a small anvil set up with a bunch of copper wire. My boys are 4 the other day my son picked up a hammer and did not put it down for 2 hours flattened a lot of wire, when he is a little bigger I will introduce him to fire. in days gone by the forge was the center of the village. Having a good wife helps and making sure everyone else has what they need first then they will help get you the time you need

Make a list of things in order of their importance.

1) Put yourself first. Without you the rest of the list does not exist. You must be there to support the rest of the list.
2) Family comes second.

3) -----> This space is left open <------

4) This is where your priorities start, for instance, how you make money etc. Gotta have the cash to live.
5) This is where you list the ways you enjoy life.

#3 is always left open so that any emergency can be moved up to that slot. The rest of the list does not have to be moved about and returns to normal as soon as the emergency is over.

So today I return from hepatic arterial stent insertion for 8.9 cm aneurism. I am allowed to lift about 10 pounds and am thinking on what part of smithing I will be challenging myself with. If anyone has ideas I am up to the new way of thinking. The next hammer build project would be very small compared to the ones I have helped strike on this year.

So...please bring in some ideas.

Carry on

So today I return from hepatic arterial stent insertion for 8.9 cm aneurism. I am allowed to lift about 10 pounds and am thinking on what part of smithing I will be challenging myself with. If anyone has ideas I am up to the new way of thinking. The next hammer build project would be very small compared to the ones I have helped strike on this year.

Carry on

It is difficult to know what to say because of the medical jargon and lack of a prognosis. My sister had a stent inserted at age 57 about 5 years ago, and she is doing well.

Carry on

Hi David, Hope everything is Tickety Boo and stays so,

You could consider a bit of leafwork or repousse using copper or steel, Repousee panels ar quite good therapy and absorbing when you are doing them. not many tools needed and those that are are normally light and easily made.

well it is not my ticker...but is connected to it. I need all sorts of ideas. Not any experience with repousse..yet. And not too much experience with copper...yet.
I am considering all sorts of thing now but keep coming back with the denial because of the lifting twisting pulling or pushing that is required. But I am thinking pretty seriously about some copper leaves imprinted via rubber backplate as some people do. And then there is that thing that macbruce makes...the ZipMax. Does anyone have any idea how that may affect me?
when someone was as active as I have been and now this aneurism thing....man I am searching. Its been two days now since the operation!

Carry on

Copperwork is ideal, just anneal the piece mark out then just gentle tapping with light hammer and small punches/gravers/chasers which can easily be made from 1/4" or 3/8" bar

It's very absorbing and therapeutic, consider making bowls, plates, picture/mirror frames, wall plaques and loads more stuff

Here is a picture of a simple experiment using copper with carpet as a backing to indent/raise into.

The idea was then to incorporate it into a house name with Wren Cottage embossed around the circumference, this was the pilot run.

The image was taken and expanded from an old Engish Farthing, (1/4 of one old penny or 1/960th of a pound sterling, Don't you just miss the old coinage? )

post-816-0-76101200-1353191667_thumb.jpg

Here is another simple one made many years ago, with a laminated photo of a pet glued in the centre

post-816-0-33439800-1353191850_thumb.jpg

Possibilities are endless, effort required more mental (concentration) than physical.

Here are details of an excellent book showing the technique

Moving Metal
The art of chasing and repoussé
Adolph Steines
Hardcover, translated for
Blue moon Press
www.bluemoonpress.org

Copyright ©2001
ISBN 0-9707664-9-1

Whatever you decide to do take care, and enjoy.