I Forge Iron

Doc said "You have to give it up"

Well it's been fun guys. Short lived but fun. I would like to say Thanks to RT, JK, Pete, Stan, Steve and Glenn for all the encouragement and information. Any one who looks for info and encouragement look no further you have hit a true gold mine. I will not stop lurking a round hear ether. Just have to find a new something to do. The Doc laded the law down this spring. You have to give it up. Heck I never got good at beaten hot iron ether, I was just playing around. Just think what I could do if I just put my shoulder in to it :D In May I had my neck fused from C3 To C7. Now they are talking about cutting my shoulder up and doing carpal tunnel on my left side.

Think I am going to go back to school and get a refresher course in CNC. I have gotten my table top out and I have been working with it. So If things work out I will start doing small parts with it, like stuff for knives. So by the way, dose any one know where I can find any info on knives? :o :P

Keep the coal hot hit'em hot and mak'em sharp

True

Sorry to hear about you having to change gears. You are welcome to write about blacksmithing and what you have learned and post it on the site, or add to existing posts with your knowledge. All the best and keep in touch.

There are a few guys (and gals) doing some incredible work with small to miniature blades: think microhawks on a bolo tie, gentleman's pocket and desk blades, neck pouch sheaths with peyote beadwork. Not every knifemaker can, or even wants to make their own pattern welded steel with a four pound hammer and a coal forge.

Life is a maze, there are some wrong turns, but there are no dead ends until you stop moving forward.

Hey thanks for the suport guys.

Sorry to hear it true, but I am glad the fusing Operation went well. Cant you still do the silver work? keep the kiln for that ?

Yes Steve I think I will be able to keep on with my jewelry work. The oven will not get hot enough, need to get to 1300 deg. I am not going to part with any of my small tools. Nor am I partting with my good hammers ether. I fell in love with them :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that. How about a power hammer??? There is almost always a way around something.

I wish I could use a power hammer. Doc said NO! But you can count on me to find a way around it. Just going to miss that semll, Gess I will have to make a small forge :D

True

Sorry to hear True but I guess something's going to get all of us one day. It picks my mood up some to hear the fusion went well. I'm not surprised the docs don't like the power hammer idea either, too much shock. A press on the other hand aught to be okay. Just do NOT ask the doc!

Making furniture and anciliary jewelry is good, no limit to what you can learn in any form of metal work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Dang it Frosty. I Missed you in my thank you note. Sorry about that. You gave me so much Info when I first started this mystery of blacksmithing. I have made so many gassers since then. So how are you doing?
I am going to build one just big enough to do small blades. And I will use my burnout oven to draw them out. I think folders are going to be my choice. I have taught my self how to take cow horn from green to finish. And boy DO IT STINK <_< . Boil it for 5hrs and the core comes out, take a 22cal brass brush and clean out the tip, set aside and dry. Shoot I think this could be a blue print. I will look in to The press too.

True

As mentioned the Doc might not really know about how blacksmith tools work and so might be making a ruling based on bad info.

A press seems like a good idea *if* you want to continue. I would think that knifegrinding would be much harder on the back that many types of smithing!

Try acupuncture before trying surgery on your shoulder, people always come to me as a last resort after they have surgeries, but i know i could have prevented a lot ot them. also blacksmithing is not the only factor in your life that may be injuring the area, sure it is hard exercise hammering metal, but do you get out and do other basic aerobic exercise? getting out and being active is the way we recover from our everyday repetitive activities that become bad for us because they are the only exercises that a person is doing. doing things like exercising, acupunture, massage, etc. is how we reset the musculature surrounding our joints and detox lactic acid and other biproducts of metabolism that get trapped in our musculature and lead to pain and discomfort and eventually calcified regions of muscles that are stiff and nonfunctional. this further stresses the muscle by only a smaller segment of the entire muscle working with our movements. Ask around your town if there is a good acupuncturist, don't just go to anybody because there are plenty of them that aren't that great. and don't be afraid it doesn't hurt.... blacksmiths shouldn't be afraid of little slivers of metal anyway! good luck

Hi True,

I can sympathize, I had carpal tunnel surgery that put me out of action for quite a number of months.. very frustrating!!! I am sure you will find a way to satisfy your urge for hot metal in a way that doesn't damage your body!!! Good luck!!