I Forge Iron

Questions for an Old Smith

Ok, I was informed the other day that a friend's grandfather was a smith in the coal mines, still has a working forge and is over 90yrs old. It came up in a conversation between my friend and her grandfather that she knew someone who was into smithing and he told her that he would like for me to come up and check out his shop and chew the fat. So, I am going to try to put together a list of questions that might be worth asking. Please feel free to give advice, questions, insight or anything else that would help to carry his story on.

Take a recorder, better yet, video the entire thing. If you are like me, in a couple of weeks (even days) you'll be trying to remember just exactly what it was he said about "this & such". WHAT a GREAT opportunity! Please pass on everything he says and post PICTURES! :)

Ask him what it was like way back then---how much they made, how hard they worked, conditions, ask him the largest/smallest/easiest/hardest thing he worked on and for any "good stories" or stories about real characters he ran into. Jokes they used to play.

If you have a project you are working on ask him how he would deal with the hard parts---and demo them too!

I was talking with an old smith once and he told me that during WWII he was the smith for a military hospital and got the job of forging the splints for a WAC who had fallen and broken her hip---cause he was the only married man in their smithing group. Of course he told me he never got to actually see her, the Doctors would make all the measurements and just tell him through the curtain. He also told me he never told *that* to his coworkers.

Don't forget to ask were any old anvils or equipment might be stashed; some mines even had machineshops down in them!

By all means, video the interview and any demonstrating the old smith is willing to do. If I had this chance, I'd fill a few DVDs of him. Make sure you get the full view of his shop setup, tools, equipment, and how it's laid out. Ask him what's the oldest jig/tool he has that was made for a job and hasn't used again since. What was the most difficult project, what did he enjoy the most about being a blacksmith. If he starts going on and on and on...keep the video going - have extra disks..:)

What a wonderful opportunity. Ask him about the people he learned from. Ask him if he'd mind if you come back. Often.

I answered a for sale ad on a portable welder one time. I was reconnected with a man I had known as a teen, he was a friend of a friends dad. This was 35 yrs later. He was selling off stuff because he was dieing ("Xxxx, even my watch has quit working"). I visited him a couple three times a week til he died. He wasn't a blacksmith but a metalworker/welder/sheet metal man who really knew his stuff and had some great stories. We both got a lot out of those too few meetings.

On the photos of the hands:
Put them in "good light" and balance the media to the light source. Then set up the shot and take the photo of the hammer or hands NOT in motion. Set the hammer on the anvil instead of asking him to hold it in the air.

Watch how it holds the hammer naturally and photo that position. You can not create what he has spent years of experience to find what works for him.

Do what ever is necessary to get the shot before you leave. If you return home with any unused exposures, you did not try hard enough. If you shoot every exposure you brought to the meeting, you did not take enough exposures to the meeting. Remember that Kodak still makes LOTS of film and digital costs only batteries to take photos.

I've always been told that the Lord gave me one mouth and two ears. This means that I should listen twice as much as I talk. This is a hard thing for me to do, but I have learned that it is good practice when we have an opportunity to learn from our elders.

You'll benefit more in the long run if you make this gentleman your friend instead of just an interview. I grew up surrounded by retired railroad and lumber company men, and I wouldn't take anything for the things I learned by just listening.

My $.02

Don

• 1 year later...

Just home from Midwest Old Threshers. I recall one year a fella came to the shop with his family. He was an old man. He had smithed in his lifetime. We had an opportunity to chat. At a show like this, it is a zoo. I take notes when I need to for future reference on projects or equipment. I took no notes in this issue. I do recall the conversation somewhat. This leads me to the following thoughts.

If I had a planned meeting with an old smith/machinist/metalman/welder etc that hand INVITED me to his shop I might just allow him to let it out. He perhaps has a need to share his life in and out of the shop. I might also forge him a gift ( or take one from inventory ). Something simple like a back scratcher or a cross. You may find that the old shop men really had no time for the stuff we do today ( frivilous novelties ) or you may find that this is not the case. A good chance is that they made their living repairing or building items that fueled the needs of industry ( meaning horse farming, general farming, mining, medical, governmental, factory needs of industry or may be a combination of the above ). You may find that they can replace a hammer handle better than most. You may find that they sharpen, maintain or build tools better than most ( inc building a coal fire ). When you plan ( or are given an opportunity to plan ) a meeting it is one thing. Spur of the moment may be another. Keep a notebook. Old folks may have young folks with them. The young folk may or may not be in tune. Young folk may or may not wish to let you into old folks lives. Young folks will probobly be connected to the information age. At a show, you may meet a young man that is absolutely enamored with your shop and spend hours setting and watching. His Grandmother may have brought him to the show. You make a friend. A few years later they show up again and you remember the grandmother ( now perhaps in her 80's ). You then recall the time that the young man ( now perhaps 12 ) was there. He also this time has his mother and you can have an opportunity to catch up. The Grandmother may tell you that she has her husbands anvil. You ask a few questions about it and retrieve "Anvils in America" and allow the woman to look at the book. The Mother of the young man may comment that her Dad never threw anything away and roll her eyes. You can get a feeling where the conversation is going. The mother may be respectful but somewhat chagrined with the fact that there is a building full of Dads old stuff. You may make suggestions about how to deal with old equipment and donating it to museums or selling to folks that will use the equipment and give fair price. The Grandmother may or may not be interested in selling or getting rid of anything. Don't forget that the kid is setting there. He may actually be your next apprentice at a show.

Life is good. Remember your manners. Generation Y has hopes. I have had the opportunity to chat with Junior in his shop and I have learned a ton from him.

Edited by Ten Hammers

I'd be very careful on my first visit. I'd bring camera, video and notebooks for sure but would be prepared to just sit and listen. Making a long term friend comes in top of my list, afterwards is the time to pump him for all he knows.

Let him know where you stand as a smith you will NOT be able to BS him and chances are he'll be happy to pass his knowledge along to another generation.

Frosty

It has been over a year now and we have not been up there yet.... I spoke with the granddaughter just the other day and she says he is wondering when we are going to show up. Time has just slipped by and I fear that if I don't get up there I may end up with some lifetime regret.

Jeremiah,
Do you realize how rare it is? This opportunity you've got? A 90 yr. old smith "wants" you to come visit his shop and chew the fat? Take my advice bro. you better make time for this one or you're gonna have some serious regrets later in life. Maybe it won't turn into much, but man, I'd go "all-in" on the hand you've been dealt here. Make the time man, make the time. You've got more of it than he does.

Let us know how it goes OK.

My father in-law is 92 and I can tell you that more than anything he just wants someone that is willing to listen to him and about what he used to do (railroader). I know more about old time railroading than I ever cared about and yet it was a lot more than his stories. Each time is an opportunity for trust and friendship to be built. Because of my willingness to sit and listen he tends to trust me more than his own sons... as to if that is a good thing or not I don't know the right answer, but I can tell you when the family comes to me to talk to dad I tell them over and over... just take some time and sit down to listen to him...

If you have an old smith willing to speak, take your video camera or tape recorder but be sure to ask him about his feeling of using them, it wouldn't be worth much if it offends or causes him to stop talking...

James

Jeremiah , I hope you make the trip, Life is to fast, I remember a old guy told me when I was young, The older you get the faster time goes by, I will soon be fifty years old , And I'll tell you them last 29 years have flown by. The man that told me that was like a father to me and he gave me my first job working at a service station, He wasn't a blacksmith, He ran a service station. But he was a man full of wisdom.
Plan a day to see the Old feller and make the trip, Never can tell he might take a liking to you. And hook you up with tools and a few tricks of the trade. Regardless, You'll be glad you made the trip..

Hey Jeremiah,

I'll chime in here with the rest of the fellas - go! You won't regret it!!

Also remember - it's not just about you. It's a year later and the ol' boy is still wondering when you'll come by. Give him the opportunity to share his life with you - for his sake.

I've worked with a bronze sculptor for ten years (he was 73 when I started with him) and there's no way to put into words how much my time with him is worth to me.

He's my best friend, mentor, advisor and living history book. He's been casting bronze for 60 years and what I've gained from him in experience and knowledge has been nothing short of incredible.

We'll probably never pour metal together again as he has a large body of work on the ground that needs finishing and the process for making a piece takes a year and some of the work is grueling.

He's recently started recalling his experiences from WWII in the Navy aboard a destroyer in the Pacific. This is new - he's never discussed it before but now seems too have a need to put those memories in perspective with the rest of his life.

Our elders are everything we have been - everything we are - and everything we will be - take the time to listen to them.

I'm in my 50's and my grandfather has just started to discuss his wartime experiences; all my mother knew was that he served in the Marines on Iwo Jima and had nightmares for years afterwards.

Go see the old fellow *BEFORE* it's too late. You are much more likely to regret not having done so than having done so!

This sounds like a great opportunity. He lived through some pretty tough times.
It would be nice to hear his history and see some of his work. I would question him on what it took at that time to become a blacksmith. As an apprentice, how old was he and the process to journeyman. Better pack a lunch with your notepad. This could take awhile....
Jerry