I Forge Iron

the weird blacksmith

So i am starting this topic because i got suspended from school today... i am out for the rest of the week for getting into a fight, i got into the fight because i have been putting pics of stuff i make on facebook... a small group of guys had been picking on me saying that i was a geek for blacksmithing

I quickly and sharply informed them that blacksmiths are alot tougher than any hockey player (thats what they are) could ever be... The captain decided to test that.... long story short i ended up in the office with sore hands and he ended up in the sick room with a bloody nose and black eye (turns out that fighting on ice and on land is very differant)... i tried to explain that he had been bugging me for a while and i ended it but they didnt buy it EXTRA SHOP TIME FOR ME!!!!

so the question is... atany point were you ever ridiculed for being a blacksmith???

Well, being a blacksmith certainly won't make you rich and famous. And the women don't swoon over you like they might a successful hockey player.

But what I think you're experiencing is typical school bullying. Good on you for beating that idiot something good - you did yourself proud.

I wouldn't worry one jot about what they think about you as long as they know you can and will stand up for yourself and don't mind showing them just how tough all that hammering has made you!

Getting suspended is generally bad... I laud you for doing it for the right reason! (though I feel obliged to say there could've been a better alternative.. I dunno, its very case-specific)
Nah, most of my friends think its cool, neat or something like that. I'm sure one day I'll get one "that's so dumb" or something thereabouts. I'm glad to hear you're okay.

dont figure ta get picked on much ... bein able to swing a 2 1/2 lb hammer all day usually makes um think twice... tho also i usually dont get upset easy .. take out all my agressions on the hot metal..... ya just need to forge more !!

Joshua I've never been picked on for being a blacksmith. Most people around here in Mississippi find it interesting I do something their Grandfather did. Besides I'm a martial arts instructor too....I admire your anti bully techniques!!

There is a phrase out there
"They went at it Hammer and Tong"...I can't quite picture fighting with a hammer and tongs, but I'm sure an unbearable pinch would be followed by blissful silence for the looser.

Joshua, I am sorry to hear that not all your classmates are compassionate about you hobby/activity. It gets better.
Most smiths are solitary creatures and rather centered in the universe...what others think often matters very little. The only grief I get now is when the "art" type come around...you see we do not do the "quiet arts" of painting or clay or glass and much of our work requires more time and noise and dirt than most wish to entertain.

Be happy you found blacksmithing so young....your skills will grow with you.

In the Western US the cowboy has the myth of the being the tough man and yet when the loggers came to town they would clear out the saloons....it seems that axe work was more muscle building than horse riding. There is a lesson in there somewhere.

I'll leave you with this:
You bloodied that other boy...he may not be so fast to forget that. The next time he may not be keen on a fair fight either. Be polite, but vigilant.

Ric

I've been mocked, not so much for being a blacksmith. It took me years to realize it seldom had anything to do with me. It's often people talking to a crowd and not to you, even when you're around. Peacocking and chest pounding. Just remember there are only so many years to learn how to handle confrontation with out it ending in blows and often jail time. If you know who and what you are and are proud of it nothing else matters. If one person thinks someone who's interested in a historically oriented craft is "geeky" I can actually understand that. Learn to wound their pride with your words or physical stature and demeanor. The best way to win a fight may be to start it. But to win in the game of life is to only finish them. Do you really want to be known as the guy who flies off the handle and likes to make sharp pointy things? People will still talk about you; just not to your face. I personally rather know what folks really think of me. I may sound like I'm preaching but I'd be the choir if I was listening.

Hope you enjoy the shop time though :D And I doubt you'll have to make your point twice.

(But we do like in an age of guns and a drive by may not concern you but I imagine you live with folks you care about. Some people just want revenge and can't take a hint :mellow: )

My wife and kids think I'm nuts. Most of my friends think it's pretty cool. Some people just don't get it. No one really believes that anyone does this sort of thing anymore. In fact, my wife was surprised to find out that there was a forum on the intertoobs with a bunch of blacksmiths from all over the world on it.

Personally, I don't care what any of them think. It's a bloody hell of a lot of fun, and gives good exercise for my brain, which I really need since I started working in an office again.

PS - good on you for the way you solved your problem. Hopefully it's a long term solution. Keep a sharp eye out, though.

Most men in the blacksmith shops ive met over the years could and would fight most people now this and say nothing these guys just found out the hard way. Stand tall and be proud of what you do and who you are keep on smithing

Who picks a fight with a 6'5" guy who can bench his weight because he participates in a physically demanding craft??

Anyone who has something to prove.
I was a bouncer on and off over the years and every small(er) guy with chip would try and push my buttons. some would just try and sucker punch to see if they could. it never fails even as get ready to turn 50 this year I have select few that still pull crap thinking they are in grade school.

Point proven. Keep up with school work during the week off. Then carry on with life as if nothing happened. My guess is that nobody else will mess with The Blacksmith.

But above all enjoy your week in the forge.

Any person who openly disrespects a stone mason or a blacksmith is a plain and simple fool.
Both, by nature, can hit hard, fast, accurately, know how to get a job done quickly under tough conditions and can work at whatever`s in front of them all day (and part of the night) if they feel the need to with no rest beaks until the job is done to their satisfaction.
No a good idea to be less than respectful with someone holding those qualifications.
Bet that hockey player never thought he`d be going to "blacksmith`s school".

Good for you for standing up for yourself and your craft. I think you made your point.
I agree with Wayne that you should invite him to your shop and give it a try. He will learn just
how demanding and difficult it can be.

Personally, I do my blacksmithing for me and no one else. If all I ever did was make things and throw them into
a pile, that would be ok. It's what I am passionate about and it brings me great satisfaction. My family and friends
actually enjoy what I make and request more than I have time to make. That's a bonus. But not why I do it.

Enjoy your craft. It is part of you.

Mitch

Doesn't matter what they think of you being a blacksmith . . . . It matters what you think of you being a blacksmith.
Good on ya for standing your ground. As the old saying goes - "Better hated for right reasons, than loved for the wrong".

Just remember tho, when you're big and powerful, you have a responsibility to make sure violence is the last tool you pull outta the box.

Now, get back to the forge.

Sometimes bullies need put in their place. I was there in HS and got a week off over a bully too. Doesn't make it right, but you should defend yourself.

Make sure you talk to your friends to get your assignments, if your teachers will accept them.

Enjoy the week. I hope your parents are understanding.

Phil

You're a blacksmith who cares what some HS sport guys think! In 50 years you can still be a blacksmith---not many Hockey players will still be playing hockey after 50 years.

And being called weird is a compliment you know.

Back in High School I remember a fellow telling me that I "wasn't normal"! I looked at him and said "if you are what's 'normal'; I'll get down on my knees every night and praise God for not making me 'normal'!" He didn't take that well as he had thought that he was insulting me...

Thomas has it right .
The "fitting in " thing is way over rated and often it takes 3 or so decades of living to work that out.
and by the way "geeks "rule ! a geek is someone who has an interest!!
I must say I waisted the first 20 years of my life pursuing "normal".
I am very proud to be a blacksmith geek, the ability to manipulate the world with your hands , by getting it hot and squashing it is about as cool as it gets ...(yup cool and geek in the same sentence)........

AHHHH a full day of working metal was nice, as far as projects go, my teachers have all agreed to exept me from any projects assigned (they agree that i did the right thing) my parents were angry about me fighting until they understood why... i am 100% fine with being weird or a geek, but this guy not only picked on me but alot of smaller people too that dosnt fly with me around.... i know fighting is not the answer, when he was insulting me i basicly made him look stupid infront of everyone ther with my words... thats why he threw the first punch... it was the only one he landed well

oh and i forgot to mention, the principal called tonight and asked if i had learned my lesson, i asked what lesson? that you shouldnt stand up to bullies? she said "no that you need to respect people in the sports teams" i hapily explained that im on the football rugby and baseball team and he was insulting me and he threw the first punch... she informed me that he had been beaten up so bad that he couldnt play a game that night (oh well his choice!) and that if i wrote a letter of apology to him for htting him i would be allowed back to school for the rest of the week... i refused and later found out... he has a broken nose and he is the principal's nefew... i only threw 3 punches...