I Forge Iron

So, what's in the bottom of your quench tub?

Now that it 80 degrees up here in WI, I decided to dump the old quench tub of last years water. Besides, it was starting to smell bad when quenched metal in it. Found quite a few "treasures," along with the odd bit of clinker....

P1010021.jpg

P1010019.jpg

I don't know and don't much care. I "think" I know when stuff falls in there. Mostly.... Maybe.... It usually means I need to make a different set of tongs to be able to hold onto stuff. I live in Southern Louisiana (Hot, wet, Humid) so as long as it doesn't turn green or grow mosquitoes I don't plan to find out any time soon. So far so good. It'll be a full year in about 3 months.

My slack tub and quench tub are two different things but I know what you mean so I won't go all semantic on ya. I have a screen on long handles in the bottom of my slack barrel for two reasons: First is to keep from poking holes in the bottom if (when) I drop something sharp in it. Second the screen lets me fish out whatever's been dropped in it, often things I didn't want to. I have a half wine barrel but don't use it except at demos for aesthetics.

Frosty The Lucky

I once found a set of pickup tongs forged and given to me by Cliffton Ralph in the bottom of my 55 gallon slack tub. I had a friend here and he was using them, and when he left I could not find the tongs. I thought he took them but could not believe he would do that. It took a year to find them. I sure was glad I had not said anything to him. Also glad to have the tongs back. Lesson learned dump the tub every once in a while.

I have had to fish about 5 mouse bodies out of mine lately... most were floaters though. Not sure whether it's worse to have them drowning in the tub or chewing up my stuff?!?

had a rat in mine .... wasnt floating and gave me a start when i fished it up!!