I Forge Iron

So, what's in the bottom of your quench tub?

My slack tub, and quench tub are one in the same. Dad made it out of some 10" diameter pipe cut lengthwise, so it holds less than 5 gallons. Down here in the non humid desert I couldn't keep water in it if I tried. Even during the winter it dries out fast. I keep a 5 gallon bucket handy, and when I need to top it off I just add to it.

yep hard to keep the dogs from draining the tub(3 dobbies) frosty ,will take on your idea aswell ,have dived for the odd losts bits over the years ,glen

Do Dobies make good shop dogs? Falki our pedigreed Icalandic Sheepdog is one of the coolest shop dogs I've ever met. I keep the slack reasonably clean so he can drink if he wants but I try to keep him from playing in it. Yeah, like that'll happen. Pedigree doesn't mean anything to me, I like mixed breeds for the highbred vigor but Falki is a special case picked out by Deb.

The hanging screen really helps, I wish I remember who I got the idea from, he deserves the credit. There's also a piece of sheet steel on the bottom to keep sharp pieces from poking holes in the barrel.

Frosty The Lucky.

frosty,ahh love most dogs as much as blacksmithing ,have had dobbies for twenty years or so,a mate had them so got me on the breed ,like most dogs the way there treated is the way they are ,people still freak about them (hollywood syndrome)these critters live in the house with us ,strange our house is never locked when we go to town ,take care mate ,glen

If I was a real man I would probably put my arm down there to investigate what's on the bottom. There seems to be a bunch of sludge and some metal objects which I am not sure I want after they've been in that stuff. The crazy part is-where do I put my arm right after I burn myself-yep-right in that nasty brew!!

Must love dogs is right Glen. Humans and dogs have been pack for at least 45,000 years and that's the hard evidence. Dogs and I get along great, they like me almost as much as I like them. I've always gotten along fine with dobies but prefer Rotties, they tend to be a little mellower.

If I had a daughter she'd never go out without taking her rotty with her. Take the dog or get locked in your room.

We live by the credo, "if our dog doesn't trust you we don't."

Frosty The Lucky.

frosty,gday mate ,yes dogs pick up on folk,has been proven over the years ,we have dingoes all a round us but i have never seen any,have seen them in other areas (we were close to frazer island today heaps of dingoes over there ,(the purest breed in aus) huge tourist trade going over there by barge ,folk have been hand feeding them in the past and that has led to fatalities of the human kind ,last 1 not that long ago ,take care ,glen

• 9 months later...

Was cooling my tongs in my slack tub today,  the water is getting a little low and while I was swirling them around I hit something.  So I grabbed it with the tongs and found the cordless phone I have been looking for for the last few weeks.  No wonder the paging didn't work. 

I change mine out after every forging (temporary 3 gallon galvanized bucket). I too have a pretty cool shop dog. A 120lb. Malamute. Once I can expand my shop (removing a broken down corvette) my dog will hopefully NOT lay in the line of fire between forge and anvil like he often does now.

Must love dogs is right Glen. Humans and dogs have been pack for at least 45,000 years and that's the hard evidence. Dogs and I get along great, they like me almost as much as I like them. I've always gotten along fine with dobies but prefer Rotties, they tend to be a little mellower.

If I had a daughter she'd never go out without taking her rotty with her. Take the dog or get locked in your room.

We live by the credo, "if our dog doesn't trust you we don't."

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a 110lb male Rottie named Duke. He is the best shop dog i could ever have, sits on his mattress by the door and barks loud enough for me to hear if someone pulls in the lane way. If someone walks into the shop he is on their tail till i talk to them. He is also our house guard dog, he is schutzhund trained, so if you break in, he will show you where all the good stuff is, but don't dare try to leave the house without the release word.

Josh

I made this about 15 years ago. I had emptied my slack tub and found all this plus. I rinsed it off and welded it in no particular order to a 10" disc. I called it "bottom of the barrel" and have it hanging in the house as a reminder of the small things that are left from the end of the day.

Mike

post-1042-0-96140200-1359523608_thumb.jp

I made this about 15 years ago. I had emptied my slack tub and found all this plus. I rinsed it off and welded it in no particular order to a 10" disc. I called it "bottom of the barrel" and have it hanging in the house as a reminder of the small things that are left from the end of the day.

Mike

attachicon.gifIMG_0463 2.JPG

Very cool!

Mike

attachicon.gifIMG_0463 2.JPG

I like it, guess I'll have to start thinking about what's actually down there for later.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't emptied my slack tub in a while... But I was making some tools over the weekend, and pulled out a large pail of oil I have for quenching.

The pail has a lid, that wasn't on tightly. The oil was cloudy when cold - but turned clear as I warmed it up. Once clear enough to see, I found 4 drowned mice at the bottom!

Those little buggers can find their way into anything!