I Forge Iron

What's your favorite song?

gator13

i love to sing traditional work songs as i work, slave songs, chaingang songs, british working songs and shanties....... helps me keep the breathing right in long slogs.....
whether im hammering, sledging or chopping logs/sleepers, or digging pits for charcoal burning.....
or even driving- to keep me awake!!! i drive 1 1/2 hours (100km) each way to work.....

Depends on the day. Some days classic rock like The Who. Others it's 80's alternative. On others it's classical.

For work, I'm very partial to both techno (like Crystal Method) and Gregorian chants. It's amazing how stuff created hundreds of years apart can be so similar in how it feels. Good stuff to have in the background - no words you can understand and helps me get focused on what I'm doing and shut the world out for awhile.

Dropkick Murphys, flogging molly, dust rhinos, almost any celtic punk or celtic tradional, just has to be loud to hear through my earplugs or muffs... just saying,,..remember the bagpipes are one of the original rock instruments,.. they are loud obnoxious and they scare people... you doubt me, get a set of great pipes and play them in Granny's parlor... a great reckoning in a small room...
Cliff

Dropkick Murphys, flogging molly, dust rhinos, almost any celtic punk or celtic tradional, just has to be loud to hear through my earplugs or muffs... just saying,,..remember the bagpipes are one of the original rock instruments,.. they are loud obnoxious and they scare people... you doubt me, get a set of great pipes and play them in Granny's parlor... a great reckoning in a small room...
Cliff

Cliff, when I ran a particularly loud ski grinder, I put earbuds on underneath my earmuffs. Shut the noise from the machine out and made the music easier to listen to.

My favorite piece of music, of all time, bar none, is the final movement of Beethoven's 9th. Many people are probably more familiar with the translated version that you may find in your hymnal at church: Ode to Joy. I enjoy a lot of music from a wide variety of styles, but nothing gets to me like that piece. When it's on, I can close my eyes and hear the angels singing along.