I Forge Iron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just today talked with Buddy Leonard. He is not going to get another 20 ton load $10,000 (he say) trucked from ? ( still won't say). Buddy, a retired farrior, lost his leg to diabetes, and has been making a living with his sales of bagged coal, and I stayed away from competing with him while he needed the sales. All things change, now I am looking to get a 20 ton load at my shop, I have the space to store it piled on concrete INDOORS, all Louisiana blacksmiths that want coal, in bags, or a bulk share of the heap. Gimme a holla. For right now I ordered a bag from the E-BAY link above, Thanks P.E.

Man I don't know anything about coke , never used it, I would try coke if it is better but I do not want to change my forge, a bottom blast rotating chip breaker in a deep cast iron firepot (centaur) 11" x 14" I tried petroleum coke .. no good..HUGE chunks.. hard to bust , hard to light , and must have constant blast to stay lit. Is coal coke different? Smoke is not an issue I have a 20' - 12" S.S. stack suspended directly over the fire straight up, and we are zoned INDUSTRIAL.

Man I don't know anything about coke , never used it, I would try coke if it is better but I do not want to change my forge, a bottom blast rotating chip breaker in a deep cast iron firepot (centaur) 11" x 14" I tried petroleum coke .. no good..HUGE chunks.. hard to bust , hard to light , and must have constant blast to stay lit. Is coal coke different? Smoke is not an issue I have a 20' - 12" S.S. stack suspended directly over the fire straight up, and we are zoned INDUSTRIAL.

Here in the UK we have what is termed forging coke, and I have also tried other cokes too, a coal fired forge that cokes will stay in longer than any bought in coke I have used.

Yourfirepot may should be OK to use coke in, but if you do not have a constant air blast, it will go out rapidly, not suitable if you have a hand cranked blower,

The coke I use burns hotter than coal that has coked.

If you have good forging coal accessible, I would recommend sticking to that.

OnR, if you don't mind the drive...There is a place in Conroe, TX that has coal and coke. I have used both and do like it. The place is called C&M farrier supply...IRRC... They are on the east side of Conroe on the Loop. Good people and they also have tools and other items.

That is where I buy my coal. Used about 600 lbs doing demos this month and last. They are some really nice people.

• 2 weeks later...

I just today talked with Buddy Leonard. He is not going to get another 20 ton load $10,000 (he say) trucked from ? ( still won't say). Buddy, a retired farrior, lost his leg to diabetes, and has been making a living with his sales of bagged coal, and I stayed away from competing with him while he needed the sales. All things change, now I am looking to get a 20 ton load at my shop, I have the space to store it piled on concrete INDOORS, all Louisiana blacksmiths that want coal, in bags, or a bulk share of the heap. Gimme a holla. For right now I ordered a bag from the E-BAY link above, Thanks P.E.

Let me know when you receive a large load if coal. I'm in central Mississippi and need a coal source. Let me know what you'll be asking per 100lbs. I have friends interested as well. You can contact me at tkwktmaholic@gmail.com