I Forge Iron

artistic individual ?'s

While writing a post I thought of this and would like to hear some of the opinions of members with more experience than myself.

When someone experienced makes something are they / you satisfied with your work totally or do you always think I coulda or shoulda maybe done this or that instead? Are you happy with the art you produce and the flaws here and there make it one of a kind art? Or do you know exactly what you want to do and do it with no flaw or imperfection?

Rangerdave

I am most always happy with how something turned out and even have been surprised at times! :P But, with every piece there are flaws. I may be the only one that knows about them but they are still there. I don't feel that you can make 'perfection' as we are not perfect. I'm like a cat after he has caught his prey....I'll take it (project/art piece) in to let my wife see it, if she approves then I think I can pass it before the world! She is my best critic. She hates it because she is afraid that she will hurt my feelings. I do have to promise I won't get upset with her comments.

well..i am my own worst critic,but i have redone/modified on them to be better or easier(flexability) is great, if it's for some one else then right or wrong it is their openion that matters (sometimes). but Mr. Dean is right.."there is no such thing as perfect"some times them "little goofs" are the thing that makes it better.

You can ALWAYS do better.

That's the enigmatic aspect of doing "one of a kind" jobs.

The learning process, that you experience in making the first item, ... usually helps you evolve a better plan, for similar items, in the future.

Experience is the best Teacher.

Doing strictly "artistic" work, doesn't really appeal to me.

I do Mechanical Design, ... and operate on the principal that any fool can build a complex mechanism, to do a simple job.

The "art" of Mechanical Design, ... is in building simple, elegant, but fully FUNCTIONAL tools and machines.

But the dilemma is the same, ... it's not until you complete the first design, that you REALLY know how to build the next one.

You can ALWAYS do better.

I agree. If I do a piece and like it enough to make another simular, it is always easier as I have learned more of what NOT to do! ;) But even then I have imperfections, never to the point that I will allow to get to the public but they are still there...I don't think you can make the absolute "perfect" piece, no matter how good you are....IMO

It has been interesting doing art work professionally. I have made plenty of things that I have thrown in the scrap bin. I will not send out pieces that I think are flawed. They can have minor imperfection, but not flaws that take them from professional work to home hobbyist level work. There are two reason for this. First, I make mistakes with the best of them, the difference is that I know how to fix them seamlessly, or know how to cut back to a point that I can do so. Second, I have achieved a level of competence that things I do with metal come out professionally the first time, without as much effort, even things that I haven't done before. I have some bronze work that I am going to have to repair for a job near the end of the year. I have never welded bronze before, but feel quite comfortable with it simply because I have successfully worked wiih other more exotic metals in the past, which I hadn't done prior, with good success. This is not to say that the first weld is going to be perfect, or even that that alloy of bronze is even weldable, but that I know the process and if I fail at first and end up brazing or soldering that I have the equipment and know how to do it and the end product will be finished professionally.
Now after you have achieved a level of professionalism in your work, coming up with original new ideas is the tough part

nah - nothing is "perfect" but to try and define art work, p[articularly in these terms would be a bit counter productive in my oppinion, it depends on what you mean by perfect - thats a very difficult thing to define - as good as is possible for the individual to achieve, or measured by the best thats been done in that field in the whole of mankind throughout history? easier to define in a engineering manufacturing sense in terms of tolerances and build quality and how well something works for a specific job, but you cant do that with artwork, the "requirements" are so different and so varied. perfect, can certainly involve leaving 'imperfections' i reckon - which in turn would be a kind of perfection! striving for a sort of perfection in art is more to do with levels of, and quality of expression, and that is what your customer wants to buy (hopefully!), in which case their happiness with the piece is based on entirely different factors than when you making them something functional...

Doing strictly "artistic" work, doesn't really appeal to me.
I do Mechanical Design, ... and operate on the principal that any fool can build a complex mechanism, to do a simple job.

The "art" of Mechanical Design, ... is in building simple, elegant, but fully FUNCTIONAL tools and machines.

Did anyone tell you how much we like pictures?

I feel that the imperfections are part of what makes smithing so much diffrent than some store bought mass produced item that anybody can purchase. If you had your choice of having the same exact peice of art be it made of wood, metal, a painting that somebody else has, or you could have something that was unique,, one of a kind hand made no two items being the same....now you have something special. When somebody can look a something that was hand made and see the time,, energy,, and thought that go's into a peice i feel they appriciate it more. Remember we are all critics of ourselves...but it is that critisism that strives us to try to do better and inspires us to keep re-inventing ourselves as smiths and artists and to try new things and to challenge ourself to be better.......just my 2 cents.

My friend Bill Printy once told me, " you gotta know when to stop Steve" . This was sound advice then and now for me. Sometimes I ignore it and continue with good or bad results. There will people (at an event) that think I should tweak here and there and actually I invite these comments sometimes. If the item is a stock item that I am happy with then I'm happy. If it is a one off issue then I make the customer be happy (or allow them to be happy ). Most people are happy what what I do 100%. there will be issues that I am in the R&D frame and then I seek feedback. This is not only how I learn but continue to develop things that people need. Sometimes people don't need until they see. Like a wise man once said, "measure with a mike, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe".

Why do you want something hand forged and not carved from a block using a 5+ axis CNC?

I expect there to be some variability especially if I have to do a lot of something as my methods of work may change over time with experience making something---when I teach a simple S hook class I try to show them that there is a bunch of different ways just to do something so trivial as the counter bend on the end. I encourage them to use the method that works best for them *now*; but remember and perhaps switch to a different method as they get more skilled.

So if I need to make a "production run" of something I will often make several more than needed and select the best ones for the job. The others often are handy to have as replacement parts for when something gets messed up---they often can be tweaked to become an "acceptable" one easier than fixing one that has been trashed in some way. (I'll generally figure out something to do with the castoffs someday which is how some ornamental work becomes trivets for example)

The hardest thing to learn IMHO is knowing when to stop working on the project. Like chyancarrek says you have to learn when to let go, call it done and move on. If its a comishned job you can always ask the client if their satisified. Beleive me, they will tell you if their not happy with the result.

I always try to put myself in the customer's shoes. Would I buy it? If I was in the market for this item would it be of a quality that I thought I was getting good value for the money I am paying?
This is something I am worrying about myself, I am working on several things that I have wanted to start selling, but I haven't yet gotten to the level of quality that I would feel that I was giving the buyer good value for the money. I won't sell them until I get to that point, because I don't want to put out something substandard.
Selling to a higher standard is not a bad thing, because you will also build a reputation over time as someone who does good work, and your work may be in higher demand as a result.