I Forge Iron

Giving back my anvil

When I started blacksmithing semi-regularly back in January, I needed an anvil. As it turned out, my local barber happened to have one sitting under his waiting room bench, accompanying the various other "old-timey" tools and nick-knacks. Now, this was a beautiful 167# Peter Wright, and after a little bit of discussion, he agreed to lend it to me on a long-term basis, saying "If you're going to use it, you can use it" implying that I should return it to him if I no longer needed it.

Fast forward to June. My dad went in for a haircut and came back with some bad news. Apparently, the barber, Mr. Debrew, was given the anvil from a friend, to decorate "The Hair Shack". The friend recently came in for a trim and noticed that the anvil was gone. He was uncomfortable with the idea that Mr. Debrew had just "given it away".

The long short of my story is that I might have to give my anvil back. I've bought myself the summer with a couple of s-hooks and J-hooks, but the summer is quickly closing. I'm troubled by this; my first carbon steel knife and first forge weld were done on that anvil.

I don't want to give it up! What do you guys think?

Personally, I'd have returned the anvil to it's rightful owner as soon as I found out about the situation. I definitely wouldn't want to repay someone's generosity by leaving them in an awkward position with the original owner. Once I had the anvil back where it belonged I believe I'd wait a month to let things blow over a bit then approach the actual owner and see if a deal could be struck.

Would you rather have the anvil or the friend? Give it back and like others have said
something you made for the Barber and the owner. Doing the right thing always pays off
sooner or later. Make a hardy for it and give that back with it. Find a pair of tongs
or a hammer to go along. It'll add to the decor and could start a trend at the shop.
With others interest no telling what opportunities might arise.

When giving him back the anvil I would include a hand-forged key ring. Apparently the gentleman is not adverse to giving his anvil away, just not having someone else give his anvil away. The key ring would be a daily reminder that there is a good home for the anvil when he is ready again to part with it.

The question is whose anvil is it to lend out? If the barber was given the anvil than it is his to do with as he pleases and whoever gave it to him has no further say in the matter. I think both should be happy it is being use (assuming it isn't being abused).
With that being said, I'd go talk to the barber and see if HE wants it back now or not (or clarify maybe if he is the actual owner). It the barber (as I understand it the owner) wants it back, return it, no reason need be given or asked for. And if he wants it back, cheerfully return it in short order. Throwing something forged in to the deal may smooth things to the point the anvil will come back.

Just my thoughts.

ron

You really have no good way of knowing the details of this situation, i.e., who the rightful owner is at this point. Under the circumstances, I'd give it back to the barber and get myself out of the middle. I would not give it back to the original owner, because you have no way of knowing it's still his. Let the two of them sort it out. It's just an anvil. Don't turn it into some kind of idol.

You live in a small town and there is no use making trouble for anyone. It's just best to return it to the barber with a nice gift made by your hands and a gift for the fellow who "loaned" it to the barber. Now with all that goodwill that you have spread so liberally around town politely ask the gentleman who "loaned" it to the barber if he'd like to loan it to you, or better yet will it to in his estate planning. If that doesn't work ask about buying it from him. Talk to him often and kindly, sweet words work wonders with older folks about family heirlooms like that. Tell him it will keep a good tool from turning to rust and keep it's spirit happy and the spirit of his ancestor even happier. You're going to have to work for this anvil one way or another.

• 4 weeks later...

My first anvil was a good condition 230# Hay Budden that I borrowed. It was my step mothers and had been sitting in a barn for years. Her Grandfather bought it from a guy just to have. He never used it, and is now dead. Even though her grandfather never used it, and she has absolutely no intention of using it, she became sentimental after about 6 months. I had to give it back... so it can sit lonely, and collect dust.

I definitely had some friends tell me to keep it because she would never use it. It sucks, but it wasn't mine. I am glad you gave it back. I now have a 150# Peter Wright in rough shape. I do miss the 230# beauty.

I am puzzled by your question of what do we think. I am pleased by all the answers. There is really nothing to "think" here.
The anvil is not yours. No thinking is required, just returning.

On the other hand I would think of what deal I might strike with the actual owner. Perhaps dropping off a forged Item to decorate the barbershop would be more pleasing to the anvil owner than the actual anvil. This donation to decorate the barbershop is served AND a craftsman is enabled.

Update!

Gave back the anvil last week,

Sounds like you did the right thing. Can you fill in the rest of the story and give us more details? What did you give the owner(s) as a thank you for letting you borrow it? Who did you give back to? and what kind of deal did you try to make to own that anvil in the future?
Inquiring minds want to know :)
Rob

11 folks on the first day of your original posting telling you to return it and it took you a month to do so.....hope you a quicker to make a forged piece to give both of the in appreciation for the use of that anvil. Good that you did return it, after all it was a loaner.

Settle, Mr. Dean, settle....

I was allowed the summer with the anvil. Now, I work at a scout camp for pretty much the entire summer. In fact, I wrote that post from my cabin at camp. The day after I came home (last Tuesday), I delivered the anvil back to the barber. I did it as quickly as I could considering the circumstances.

I never did get to meet the previous owner, but I made a J-hook and an S-hook for the barber, who proudly displays them on his waiting room table.

IMHO, this transaction turned out as well as it could without me actually being able to keep the anvil.

Now, I have a 106# Hay Budden that is MINE. It was a little steep at $350, but it's beautiful! The edges are clean, and it rings like a bell.

I'm totally settled. We didn't know you had the summer with it, you just stated you had to give it back and now what....you did, good. and with something made from that anvil. Everyone's happy and YOU have a new toy! BTW, $350 for your anvil is not really bad, especially for a Hay Budden with clean edges. Glad it worked out for you and with your barber friend displaying some of your handy work you could get a little work from them.