I Forge Iron

Ideas for a birthday gift for a blacksmith

From the email

I need help with a gift idea have to buy a birthday day gift for a working blacksmith (over 30 years).
I want to get something special, something someone would not think to buy for themselves, something very unique and useful any help would be appreciated.

Any ideas would be appreciated and they will review your posts on this thread.

If $ is not a factor how about registration and transportation tickets to the ABANA National Conference in Rapid City, SD next year? Yea, it's a ways off but will give him time to save up spending $.

I have a birthday in September Thomas rolleyes.gif LOL.

Frame an old print or photo of a blacksmith shop or small statue of a blacksmith would make a nice addition to any shop

I have a birthday in September Thomas rolleyes.gif LOL.

Frame an old print or photo of a blacksmith shop or small statue of a blacksmith would make a nice addition to any shop

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you then. :lol: I may not remember it in Sept. as we have our second GRANDson coming then! (our youngest son's first child)

a piece of work from a blacksmith they admire.....for example i injoyed takeing classes From Pieter Ross so i would injoy a piece he made just to look at and admire... just a thought ... cause any tool he wanted by now is super expencive or he already has it...

If you are really broke, how's about a pile of hand-made gift certificates, redeemable anytime, say fer instance" one free I won't give you a hard time for spending all weekend in your shop" or "no bugging you about your grimy face and slightly sulfurous odor" or " a free afternoon in YOUR section of the flea market" etc. Also, one of the best presents you could give someone is to simply spend an afternoon working with them, or visiting them out in the shop and showing genuine (or at least WELL feigned) interest in what they are doing. 'Course this may give them the wrong idea and they will start expecting you to come out and help... :rolleyes: Interest in what someone is doing is nearly as nice as a neat tool or something like that.

How about a fishing trip to Alaska? Deb and I can put him up.

Okay, I don't have an idea really, it's darned hard to buy a craftsman something to do with their craft, especially if you don't know them pretty well. Maybe you're privy to things he's been talking about for a while like say good lighting over a work bench, a new radio in the shop, Dancing girls?

Frosty the Lucky

a piece of work from a blacksmith they admire.....for example i injoyed takeing classes From Pieter Ross so i would injoy a piece he made just to look at and admire... just a thought ... cause any tool he wanted by now is super expencive or he already has it...

Agreed. Good idea! I'm going to plant the hint with my fiance'. ;)

grrrr.....so i typed up this long detailed response and then it didnt post. lets try again. You mentioned he was a blacksmith so Im curious if that information is relative to the gift. If that is the case, as mentioned above, a new forge would be great, but spendy, maybe some new thermal wear, a supply f wrought iron, or even the convetion tickets would all be good ideas. If the reciepent is MWC, offer to clean the hosue and watch the kids while they have some adult time out. This would be highly appreaicated by most and wouldnt cost you anything... just a few ideas

If he does not already have them I would humbly suggest any of the following:
- A Hofi hammer of about 2.3lbs and a set of Hofi hammers a 2.3lb and one that is a bit over 3lbs (especially great for us older guys with shoulder injuries).
- Early American Wrought Iron by Albert H. Sonn (I consider this a must-have reference)
- Colonial Wrought Iron, the Sorber Collection by Don Plummer, Jack Andrews and Brennan Cavanaugh (May 1, 1999)
- Engineers Black Book (Data Sheets, Formulae, Reference Tables, Equivalent Charts)by Pat Raff (Spiral-bound)
- Antique Tools and Instruments by Luigi Nessi (Hardcover)
- DEWALT D28770K 6 Amp 4-3/4-Inch-by-4​-3/4-Inch Capacity 80 to 280 Feet Per Minute Variable Speed Portable Band Saw with Case by DEWALT
- Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan by Richard Hittleman (Paperback)(Great for us guys with back or other pains)
- Bucket Boss Brand 07004 Duckwear Tool Roll by Bucket Boss
- The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way To Perfection by Jim Hrisoulas (or any other book by Dr. Hrisoulas)

• 2 weeks later...

A gift for a blacksmith does not always have to be tools, books or steel (though don't get me wrong, I would never turn up my nose at tools, books or steel ;) ).
I bought 2 pairs of blacksmith suspenders for myself a few months back and I love them (they look really sharp too - red with black anvils).
I think they would make a great gift.
sam