I Forge Iron

snide remarks

I have decided to tae my work from practice piece to public sales. In order to do this I have started taking a table at one of my local flea markets last week end. while I sold only about $10 so far, I have had several other customers show interest and most that did had no money on them(or atleast thas the story being given) I will be goig back over the next few weeks and see if i can sell anything.

on guy almost begged me to throw one of my wall hooks at him. he picked up a hook I made. just a simple nail flattened at the poin drilled with two mounting holes and the head end of the nail bent into a hook. he picked it up loked at it commented "hmph i can make these" dropped(dropped about 8 inches, not set down gently) the hook and walked away from my table. It was all I could do not to pick it up and throw it at him, yelling, get you own forge anvil and hammer and make them yourself then.

anyone else have similar things happen? yes I know people can be jerks but this guy just rubbed me the wrong way.

Tim,
I have had people look at my forgings and ask why so much when they could get the same thing at Wally world. We know they can't, but they think they can. Others have posted their answers before and it is basically "Well then go to Wally World."

A lot of people (not all) that visit flea markets are looking for something for nothing. I also like to go to flea markets but don't think I'd ever want to sell there.

There are a lot of people out there that are just begging to be shaken till spit flies. We just have to look at them for what they are.

Mark<><

I find that people rarely abuse the man with all the weapons. At my table is also my forge, so I also have all the heavy and hot things with in arms reach besides all my blades.

I had several of my tomahawks and 3 or 4 knives at the table with several hooks and a coat rack. just to mention a few of my items. like i said this guy was begging me to throw something at him...lol

I'm not the fastest thinker, but if I had been at that point, I may have asked him if be could make them better, & show me how! It's called 'going the power' & is often an effective way of getting people like that onto your side.
If be was just a jerk even given that opportunity, them by all means politely persuade him to foxtrot oscar! ;)

That is why I will not be doing any festivals, craft fairs, ren fairs - people do not understand what goes into an item that is hand made, and I am not willing to lower my standard to accommodate a "cheap" sale

"hmph i can make these" - - - Cool, I look forward to seeing your work"

"I can get these at Walmart for less money" - - Good deal, sounds like you found what you're looking for.

Edge,

The above are my standard responses to those two worn out comments. They're best delivered in the most indifferent voice you can muster

You gotta develop a thick skin if you're going to lay your work out in front of folk. There's just no shortage of arm-chair experts who'll give you a two dollar opinion over a 2 cent issue . . . just smile and nod and put your energy into the people who are worth the time.

Look to see if you have a local artist guild. The Vegas Artists Guild welcomes all mediums, and even has art sales every month at a local high end grocer that is free to set up at. One member sold $600 at this months gathering, and another friend does really well at these too.

I go to fleamarkets to get the steal of a deal, as others do. You may want to look into other outlets in your area. What I have found for most craft shows , fairs, and other events like these is that a big chunk of the sales go to pay the booth fees. We have a BIG art show in Boulder City that a friend who makes jewelery attends, and she does quite well ($1,600 over the weekend), so it is worth it to her to pay the higher entry fee. Now that I got her into the guild she has opportunities to sell in galleries, and other places that she otherwise wouldn't have known about.

Look around for a local store that may be interested in carrying your items. I would not do consignment, just sell the items to them, and let them deal with them from then on. Consignments can get messy. Some shops also offer floorspace rental that may be attractive price wise.

Our last guild meeting covered art and the internet. Blogs, Facebook, websites, and much more can be used to get you in the publics eye.

Don't sweat the naysayers. If they say that they can make your items just say , good for you. I have gotten to a point where it takes quite a bit more than a comment like that to get me ruffled up. I just go with the flow now, if plans change, no problem. If someone can't make it, no problem. I can only do what I can do at that time with the materials, or information at hand. Just go with the flow.......no sense letting someone get under your skin like that.
Good luck with the venture.

Yep, some days that can happen.

Hmmmmm, when I type a response it automatically underlines the misspelled words. Even with spellcheck we still have to use the correct version; which, witch-there, their, they're. ;)

If I think something looks odd I either Google the word, or type it into my email that auto checks.

This is one of the many things I like about FireFox over IE. Spell check is enabled by default. Not even sure if IE has it. But as Ted T says, "There are usually three or fyve ways to spel most werds." :D

Tim,
I used to help out a friend at a rodeo in Florida where he set up his traveling forge...having the fire there helped a great deal as it allowed the public to see some things being made and buy the rest. We never did many sales, but he was pleased with the results.
There were folk who said all that he made was poor quality, others who said it was expensive and more who just walked on by uninterested.
The kids loved it and that brought the parents so we started making things for the kids to bug their parents to buy...rings made from nails, tiny swords from double headed nails etc (think cocktail olive size).

You have to feel out your market and then go from there...not everyone will like what you do no matter what it is. Some men can not walk past another guy made thing without letting him know he could do it better left handed and with one eye...its the way with some folk.
I suggest you have one spectacular piece..whatever you wish to make...be sure it involves some twisting or wiggling or forge welding some such technique that you are both good at and proud of to point at when the other men who can do everything come by.
When the man says "hmph i can make these".hand him that object and see if he can give advice on making this thing faster "Cause the whatever technique right here takes me a while...how would you do that Sir?" and stare at him with open eyes waiting for an answer.

Take a common thing from your area and play with it....not sure what that something is, but I am sure you know what your local folk like...take that item or critter or some such and make it in metal......peach pit? something to do with Fort Mountain? Your smart..you will think of something with local flavor.
Making things folk need is another way to do..maybe the is not a hook, but a grilling tool or a garden implement or some other nifty little device that you have needed and made for yourself.
Figure out if you are in the $5 sales area or the $20 or the $1 range and challenge yourself to make something in that price range....which is not simple to do.

Ric

well i only tried a flea market once... not the type of coustomers you are going to get to spend for your items...compared to art fairs or ren fairs or any other place you sell flea markets are the cheapest of coustomers... most are looking for a bargan (ie 10c to the dollar)tried them a few times and completely given up on them .. i am used to the idiots who make those kind of statements tho the usually they dont say them to my face (6ft3 and 380 lbs kinda scares um). Ide let it flow off your back like a duck they are just looking for an excuse cause they are too cheap or poor to buy quality..

It has always amazed me at how helpful the pro folks are in the medieval armour world. They welcome people wanting to make their own armour and help them a lot---serene in the knowledge that after having actually *made* something most people will start talking about how *cheap* and *good* the pro stuff actually is.

Whenever you ''meet the public'' you're going to run into ''Mr Adam Henry'' (ask any cop)..........Working the ren fair I ran into him and his wife plenty of times............Illegitimi Non Carborundum''............:D...........(Don't let the XXXXXX Grind you Down).....mb

I've had the good fortune not to hear anything like that to my face (so far), but I have heard the "I can get it at Wal-Mart for ten dollars" before. I just agree and tell them I can't compete with a Chinese factory that turns this stuff out all day. The price is what it is and I'll probably be out of stock at the end of the year just the same.

I work with a guy who always "has something to say." We'll call him Ray. Ray's mouth has gotten him into some pretty stiff trouble at times. I know his life has been threatened once by a coworker and at least two others have threatened to catch him away from work and show him just who the man is. Ray has always shut up pretty shortly after that. So far after 9 1/2 years I have at least not heard anything he has said about me... until today.

I forged out an axe head from a claw hammer that came off of its handle. I'll be posting it once it is completely done. I showed it to the guys at work. Well it gets back to me that Ray said he found an axe exactly like it beside the road one day (implying that I didn't make it). I told the guy to informed me that this isn't a new idea and others make them, so I suppose it's possible. But if or when it comes up again, I will tell Ray to put his money where his mouth is and come to my forge or shut up about it. That's not the way to handle everyone, but it's the only thing that works with Ray.

When I get the, "I can get a knife at Walmart for $30." I usually say, "Okay, if you want a piece of stainless steel trash with plastic handles that is one of a million produced every day, go ahead. But if you want a custom, one of a kind knife with a high carbon steel blade and exotic wood handle, come see me."

Ya I had a guy tell me today that he has a forge and that my items had no place in his shop, so I invited him to a throw down at the forge and we could see who could make a better item, I left my card on his counter and walked out. I do not expect to hear from him anytime soon

I just used to tell them I'm still learning and they're more than welcome to come on down and give me some lessons, we can all do better, I'm open to suggestions on how to improve my work. Offer them a soda or beer if they do stop by and leave it at that. When you argue with a fool it had to know which one of you is the fool. Some of the work you do see at craft fairs is pretty rough working and sometimes you just don't know what to say to the guy that has made it so most of the time I just keep my shut or ask a few questions to find out his skill level. I just try to go back and remember my first couple of years of making things and how bad they really were. I feel so ashamed when I look at some of those items and think how good I thought they looked. Just be careful what you say, some folk have thin skin and a short fuse. :blink:

This is pretty common when you're dealing with the public. Most folk want custom work for Wally world prices, I just give em directions. folk at flea markets are there for a bargain and dickering is expected, nobody is going to give the asking price.

The most common I run into is the old, "My grandfather was a blacksmith and he always said," x x x x. My response is to ask if he has any of granddad's smithing tools he'd like to part with. Occasionally I'd get someone who went to a european school and actually knows what they're talking about. If they're particularly bothersome I offer my hammer so they can show me. I've always been fascinated at how much more they know about excuses than I do about smithing.

I agree, the best responses are made in either an indifferent tone or an amused one. Still, there is the occasional jerk who can get under my skin so I turn my back and get back to work. An angry retort just doesn't do me any good. Just remember, demos are theater as much as anything and getting hecklers isno big thing.

Frosty the Lucky.