I Forge Iron

snide remarks

Last year, I noticed the "tough customer" for the first time. I demo at a venue where the only rule is that we need to be continuously working hot iron during the demo period. No sales, but also no fee.

I was trying to make a pair of farrier's tongs like the ones on Mark Aspery's website. I have slowly come to the conclusion that although he makes things look easy, it is pretty hard to follow his instructions and get a smooth result. The tongs were successful, and they are one of my favorite pairs, but a couple of the visitors did not like me making them. They pointed out to me that they don't like to see a demonstrator fiddling around and struggling on something he obviously does not have any experience on. Furthermore, the progress is slow, and a tong half is not really recognizable to the general public until it finally takes shape. Especially one with a weird funky round jaw. They suggested that I stick with nails, hearts, leaves and S-hooks.

Of course, I enthusiastically nodded my head, pushed aside the tong project, and immediately started making hooks. I wonder what the problem is all of a sudden. It seems that recessions stifle individuals' openness and creativity, making them stupid. :(

After any snide remark I always say "my grand-father lived to be 90". After getting a confused look from the customer they invariably ask me if my grand-pa was a blacksmith and I reply 'no but he did learn to mind his own busnessw and keep his mouth shut'.
You can always say 'I'm sorry Mr Bevis would you please repeat that' the customer will then tell you that his name isnt Bevis and of course you reply "I'm sorry, you must be the other one then'.

After any snide remark I always say "my grand-father lived to be 90". After getting a confused look from the customer they invariably ask me if my grand-pa was a blacksmith and I reply 'no but he did learn to mind his own busnessw and keep his mouth shut'.

That's a good one. :P

I don't do real well wit people. I guess that's why I stay in the shop. But no one will sale my stuff for me. I've opted for etsy personally and I hope it supports it's self with enough work.. Talking doesn't come naturally to me but it does to my wife to be and she makes a great sales person. When I get a forge set up that allows for demoing while looking professional she's promised to help out. Consider getting a sales person! :D And remember what others have said about nay-sayers. Sorry you had such a poor experience.

I have decided to tae my work from practice piece to public sales. In order to do this I have started taking a table at one of my local flea markets last week end. while I sold only about $10 so far, I have had several other customers show interest and most that did had no money on them(or atleast thas the story being given) I will be goig back over the next few weeks and see if i can sell anything.

on guy almost begged me to throw one of my wall hooks at him. he picked up a hook I made. just a simple nail flattened at the poin drilled with two mounting holes and the head end of the nail bent into a hook. he picked it up loked at it commented "hmph i can make these" dropped(dropped about 8 inches, not set down gently) the hook and walked away from my table. It was all I could do not to pick it up and throw it at him, yelling, get you own forge anvil and hammer and make them yourself then.

anyone else have similar things happen? yes I know people can be jerks but this guy just rubbed me the wrong way.

Years ago, before I considered participating in craft fairs and folk-life events, I spent a day watching a blacksmith performing in public. He was asked the same dozen questions and the same dozen comments, over and over, all day. In every case he listened politely, as though it was the first time he had been asked the question or heard the comment, and responded to all with friendly cheerfulness.

I realized that he knew that he was an actor performing a roll for the public's amusement and education. Ever since then I tried to remember to emulate his Christian kindness and forbearance when I performed in public. It gets easier with practice.

all the time.....
I did craft fairs 24 weekends a year for 8 years!
people have a urge to comment or feel like they know something or just act like jerks , they are not your customers so just shrug it off.
at least you probably made them smug and happy! so good service !
people often do not see hand made work in the same light as we do so keep putting it out there and educate them !
take satisfaction from the people who appreciate and buy your stuff.
all the best Owen

Very good advice Tom.

The best bet when dealing with unpleasant public voices is to remain polite and not take the bait. Alienating potential customers by appearing surly is far more counter productive than treating cretins with respect more than their due.

I've said for a number of years now that demoing is performance art, theater. you can teach people more faster if you entertain them and making an audience laugh makes them even more attentive. Even if they are just waiting for the next punchline.

All that said, I have been aggravated enough to lay a snappy comeback on a jerk to some momentary satisfaction and a few laughs. No long term benefits though.

It's best to remain silent and let them think you a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Frosty the Lucky.

Very good advice Tom.

The best bet when dealing with unpleasant public voices is to remain polite and not take the bait. Alienating potential customers by appearing surly is far more counter productive than treating cretins with respect more than their due.

I've said for a number of years now that demoing is performance art, theater. you can teach people more faster if you entertain them and making an audience laugh makes them even more attentive. Even if they are just waiting for the next punchline.

All that said, I have been aggravated enough to lay a snappy comeback on a jerk to some momentary satisfaction and a few laughs. No long term benefits though.

It's best to remain silent and let them think you a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Frosty the Lucky.

Well said Frosty,

I don't work the markets, but have friends who do. Their key to success seems to be consistency in showing up week in, week out and year in, year out. People recognize them, realize they're not flakes and buy from them. Many of them do the markets for leads as much as the daily profit. Steak turners turn into railing jobs.
The caveat is that not everyone is successful in this forum. It takes a real 'people person' to be continually be excited about their work and express it many times a day.
I couldn't do it for the longevity it takes to be successful. At one point I did consider it though.

John

I agree with you on every point. For me people are often a bother and a nuisance. I have to work at forbearance. I spend most of my time as a smith- with a hammer in my hand. I pound steel into submission.
People deserve courtesy and I owe that to them- not the zingers with which I want to hit them.

One of the best responses to "I can make that"-
Just say, You may be able to do it, but will you?
Will you go home, set up a forge, start a fire and buy some steel and tools and pound away on your new anvil until you get a hook or wouldn't you rather buy this one and save yourself some time?

Have fun whatever you tell 'em.
SammyNineToes

I did a local demo over the Memorial Day weekend. I only had one guy who wanted me to know how much he knew about what I was doing. It started with a question about the temper in mild steel and something some guy had told him about quenching it in used motor oil. My answere did not satisfy him and I quickly realized that nothing I said would alter his opinion. He had never done any blacksmithing. I politely told him to do what ever worked for him and turned back to what I was working on. Shortly there after he left. There is one in every crowd. I had to laugh.

generaly I try to be polite and nice to anyone who stops by when I am demonstrating even the heels but I did have one guy who wouldn't leave after a hour when he had run off several customers I started some way to hot and pointless forge welding, he went away :D

• 2 weeks later...

After reading some of these stories, I can sympathize for those who work a job everyday that have to deal with the stupidity of the general public.

There must be some sort of psychological envy of not being in the spotlight oneself or otherwise the matter is, they themselves can’t do it.

Having some experience with it I like to watch others hand forge whether beginner or pro. I don’t get the luxury of watching hand forging very often at all. I just hope when I do, some screwball doesn’t try to ruin the show. Regards, Spears.

If you can't deal with a few wiseakers, peckerwoods and dummies, then I consider doing something else. It goes with the territory. Most folks are cool..... :D

Most folks are cool and most questions that seem dumb arn't really they just don't know anything about it thats why I try to be polite and paticent with all comers