I Forge Iron

Scrap metal sculpture

hi everyone. i was told about this site by a great smithy i met a Seymour Vic ( Australia)recently. I do metal sculpture with scrapmetal.I have poor forging skills but hope to change that. Here are some shots of a unfinished shearer and sheep sculpture that I am creating.The gear cogs represent unshorn wool and the colour difference is due to fishoil not yet applied to new work.
cheers .a
baa2.jpg

ringer4.jpg

baa3.jpg

baa2a.jpg

baa6c.jpg

baa6b.jpg

Welcome to the group

Beautifull work especially the faces

Please explaing the fishoil finish. To me here in the US fish oil is from pressed fish not a paint. I buy it by the gallon to attract animals
Will it be an inside or outside displayed work?

thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Jimw and wayne those jokes are telling me much about you 2. to 781 "Fishoil" here in oz is probably the same stuff you use in US. Over here they used to sell it as a rust inhibitor and joe public would fork out big bucks to have inside the doors etc of his new car sprayed with the stuff. All my stuff is for outdoors. The fishoil applied to heavy rust seems to penetrate and prevent further rust development. It stinks for a few weeks but leaves a good patina that will last a few years. Big GunDoc ive spent 3 months on the sheep. I only do it part time so can only work weekends etc.Finding the stuff is hard thats why i pick up everything I can find when I get trhe oportunity and have an acre or two of treasures that i search through. Dale i have registered a bit more info. Mark glad you like it . My son married a lovely girl from Gastonia so were almost related.Here is a shot of a horse and dragon I made. cheers and thanks for your hospitality....... scrappy
ggg5.JPG
dragon6.JPG

I also wish I had access to the quality of junk you seem to have. Believe it or not, finding junk here is a problem, at least for me. Large salvage yards here have become uptight about allowing ''pickers'' into they're yards. Lawyers, insurance, liability and all that, seems the Chinese are the only ones entitled to that resource anymore. There are a few small yards, but they are getting to be fewer and fewer
Again, your anatomy amazes me, I'm working to land a job making a life sized horse sculpture of junk. I hope I can pull it off half as well as you........mb

I also wish I had access to the quality of junk you seem to have. Believe it or not, finding junk here is a problem, at least for me. Large salvage yards here have become uptight about allowing ''pickers'' into they're yards. Lawyers, insurance, liability and all that, seems the Chinese are the only ones entitled to that resource anymore. There are a few small yards, but they are getting to be fewer and fewer
Again, your anatomy amazes me, I'm working to land a job making a life sized horse sculpture of junk. I hope I can pull it off half as well as you........mb

You sure aren't kidding about that. Gone are the days when they would weigh my truck empty and let me treasure hunt til my heart was content. When I first saw Scrappy's art work, my first question was "where in the daylights does he get his hands on such beautiful materials"? The scrap yard told me months ago that they only buy scrap, not sell. I can't help but to feel for the way that takes from the metal artists here in the USA. Spears.

thank you Macbruce and spears. I really believe that the appeal of my stuff lies in in easy recognition of the individual parts. If the art was covered in say ...pop bottle tops or engineering waste 'punch outs'I dont think it would fly as well. Much are heritage items from rural areas and these are availible if you contact the farmers personally. In recent drought years old farms have taken to calling the big scrap dealers to get a bit of cash to live on . Many fantastic treasures are consumed in the furnace of the big metal recyclers as a reult of drought. we have floods now so im hoping the race for cash stops soon . i pay double the current scrap price so they feel they have done well. you all know that the real value of these trinkets and heritage items is much higher. I didnt recognise the forge fan housing I used on the horse when I used it.
cheers Scrappy

SCRAP i love your work you posted!!! you indeed have a good eye and thats something valuable! love your dragon - love all of them - great to see some more sculpture on here - welcome to a very informative talented knowledgeable group of people! on the whole.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

thank you jgraff for those kind &#$%@!!^?@@ words. It great to know that my time isnt wasted. Mac Bruce I love your monster defeating creature. I was told as a child: "It is a proven fact that monsters dont live under your bed " and also that: "if you keep all your toes under the bed clothes ..those monsters cant get you!"
andrew_whitehead_editspider.jpg
watertowerspider51.JPG
tower21.JPG