I Forge Iron

Scrap metal sculpture

thank you customsteel

I have started on the dog that will accompany the 'swagman'
The sequence so far is as follows:

1. build the head first. think about size of complete piece and any 'facial attitude' you want to show

doggy1.jpg

2 .next build a simple 'jig' that will enable you to pose that head anywhere/ anyhow in a 3D space. This jig will include a movable base with both height adjustment and horizontal rotation. = A. Plus 2x mild steel4mm rods that will permit posing (by bending) on the vertical rotational plane = X, and a "universal joint" made from 2 bolts and nuts (each with a second 'lock nut' for fixing once the desired 3d position has been found.)= 1&2

doggy2a.JPG

3. Draw a PLAN(looking down view ) in chalk on the workbench base plate then explore gesture and position of the head using the 'jig'
4 install vertical wire posts along centre line of body
5 Design ,explore ,mount and adjust a 3d "dorsal line" (spine) on to the vertical wire posts) USE CURVES !
6 Design and build a primary mounting frame (Blue box RHS steel) that will fit inside the established dimension
(this will include vertcal cavities to house pins that will be mounted in the concrete)
7 make adjustments and then comit to a specific gesture and attitude of the subject.
The final positioning of head is not done until body is nearly complete as it is at that time that you will see what looks "just right"

doggy3.jpg

8. next start searching for the largest parts you can find that might complete the body shape. Attach these to primary frame then remove any attachment to the workbench. This will allow you to turn the work upside down to do 'hidden' welds and improvements to stength by insalling struts between components. minor adjustments to feet will avoid exact bilateral symetry and add realism to the stance.

doggy4.jpg

more pics in a week or so.

great stuff, very clever incorporating a moveable head!!! I like the position in the third pic, what expression!! although, I think you are right that the dog should be looking up at his master as they do and creating a dynamic between the two.

Thank you Colleen and Bentiron 1946.

The "movable head" will be welded firmly in place once the "right" pose is found.

We have 6 dogs on the farm and yes they are an important part of our life.

The dogs tail is too long ( looks a bit like a lion cub when the dog's head is removed) so i will make a few changes there.
I will keep the 'broken tail' look as that is in keeping with the commonality that the two travellers share.= outcast ,unatractive , damaged . The real story is about the strong bond these two friends share in hard times.
cheers scrap

Iron John
Kustomsteel
Jim
Colleen
Seldom &
Danger: THANK YOU

your posts encourage me to continue this metal maddness when I want to give up

As these things take months to complete its easy to loose ones enthusiasm but thanks to you folk I finished it!

Danger : I tried to enter something a year or so ago in Bondi with no luck so Ive put it on the back burner. When I have no other work ( and 6- 8 months spare ) I will plan and construct another piece that will hopefully be selected for that show.
cheers
Andrew.

Andrew, I tried accessing your website but it continually takes me to a different site. Not sure why.

No sure whats going on . my website is hosted by a friend at Heretic Press. if you follow the search it still should take you to my website ( i just checked and it seemed to be in order)
If however, you are a known hacker or from an institution (eg Uni or school) that has allready had multiple visits the site might be blocking you.I am sure how he(heretic press ) has got it rigged but its meant to keep out the bad guys. try again please.

• 4 weeks later...

My pleasure!!! I'm in Edenhope vic. It is Redgum, beautiful wood to carve in. I love your work!!! , where can I see some of your "Masterpiece Metal Sculptures"?

thanks Chiselart
if your up near Corowa on the border Im 45min North of there you can see my stuff at parks in Morundah Urana Lockhart and Boree Ck( all within 1 hour of Urana - home)