I Forge Iron

Scrap metal sculpture

SASK MARK Thank you. The belt was an after thought to cover an error I made. The belt was originally the steel strap above the chain .I was working from a photo and it seemed fine but when I finished the area above the buttocks the belt seemed too high so i added the chain and belt loops at a lower height as a visual distraction to the error.
I think it still works now with the alteration.

njanvilman Thank you .how did you find this thread? "The natural shapes" is what its all about. sometimes exagerated sometimes the wrong size but close to the right shape and positioned correctly in relation to othe ' natural shapes"
Sometimes its very difficult to find a shape. Often one must use a half or a multiple of an object to get the right shape. I try to never manufacture / fabricate a component from metal stock but sometimes this cant be avouided.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible work - the best I have ever seen. So sad that the scrap yards are sending out their crushers to the farms. It happens around rural Sth Australia as well. And scrap yards are getting harder to get into. How do you remember where in the couple of acres that you saw that particular part you require or recall if you know you have it but can't think if you have used it already. 14683.attach14684.attach14658.attach Your work makes mine look like thoughtless crap.

Incredible work - the best I have ever seen. So sad that the scrap yards are sending out their crushers to the farms. It happens around rural Sth Australia as well. And scrap yards are getting harder to get into. How do you remember where in the couple of acres that you saw that particular part you require or recall if you know you have it but can't think if you have used it already. Your work makes mine look like thoughtless crap.

Not So!
I see in your work.. a lot of talent. You have a recognisable great style.The dog wine rack is fantastic. and what a great use of rabbit trap. The use of different feet is quite unique and works very well.(I would have never considered it ) What do you use to coat the shiny surface? I am going to have to produce some smaller stuff like yours to pay the bills. The market and peoples financial situation will decide how much and how big your stuff will be. I think I must have a bit more time than you thats all.

My junk is sort of in separate piles I can find . groups . similar shapes . cast iron . round . long. flat. I also have stuctural and purely decorative piles of junk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, what an inspiration. I have read each and every comment made by fellow members and they have said it all, so nothing more to add from my side. I live in South Africa and echo the comments from other members regarding difficulty in obtaining scrap, like the stuff you have in your yard. I feel so privileged that I "stumbled across" this section on the I Fiorge Iron site! Thank's for the regular updated pictures of your latest works, as well as sharing your "private workshop" pic's.

I regularly pay a visit to my local scrap yards and on a good day still walk away with a few pieces that "spoke to me". Have you perhaps considered "remote classes" ?

• 2 weeks later...

PROGRESS PHOTOS OF LATEST OBSESSION ARE ON my PREVIOUS POST!!!!!!
thank you:
OZ Matt
Iron Clad
Thomas DEan
J Graff
pat Roy
Seldom

!for the for the kind words of encouragement and viewing my stuff.

TaLL Grass ......Fantastic work,,, I have a few pieces like you used and have no idea how they were used with horse rigs.Do you know what there use was?????

Bully ..... feel free to visit,............... google 'scrapartoz.com ' and send a email we can have a few beers and stuff if you get up here to Urana NSW

McGyver .thank you I am honoured that you think I can teach something. I dont do external courses but would be happy to try to answer any question u might have!

cheers

brilliant work mate! i have seen some of this style before, but JEEZ! this is great, where are ya?
and on the side, do you ever find any steam boilers or bicycles on those old farms cause im always on the lookout....
im in qld, im guessin your somewhere inland nsw or vic? looks nice and dry for keepin things from gettin too rusty.....
like i said, top stuff mate!
woody

brilliant work mate! i have seen some of this style before, but JEEZ! this is great, where are ya?
and on the side, do you ever find any steam boilers or bicycles on those old farms cause im always on the lookout....
im in qld, im guessin your somewhere inland nsw or vic? looks nice and dry for keepin things from gettin too rusty.....
like i said, top stuff mate!
woody

thanks woody,
I am living on a farm at Urana NSW. I lived in townsville Qld for four years mid 80s. The shearer and 2 sheep sculpture I made for Muttaburra Qld (near Longreach ) will be opened in July. I wont be able to attend due to the distance but as you are close feel free to check it out if you have the urge! cheers andrew

lakesmust be full by now?! get much flooding down that way?
ive not been to muttaburra, but when i do go out there, ill definately go and have a squiz.
if you have a look at dales link, youll be bored by the end.....
moony is in braidwood, near the act, and has a smithing gathering with international guests, it seems like a great do, i hope to make it some day......