I Forge Iron

Scrap metal sculpture

thank you Robert for those very kind and encouraging words I am unsure if they have been earned.To answer your question. i normally find one key object that gets me excited and on the path to a specific animal /human.The size of that piece gives me the scale and therefore the rough finished dimensions. I then think about engineering dramas like balance, mounting structure, internal frame , finished approximate weight, public safety etc. With these things in mind i google up many images on the net and learn what the animal is really like ; skeleton, musculature and 'typical' recognisable gestures and stances. i then spend a few weeks drawing different versions from all angles. Eventually i "know" the target sculpture creature in a '3D' sense and what stance i think would best portray the attributes that i think are noteworthy .then the search for junk begins! and a long and deliberate assembly process and hopefully at the end something good is created .
cheers
andrew

Scrapartoz,
You are living my dream :D I used to dabble in sculpture during breaks at my former welding job; always longing for the space to create larger pieces. This is one of my daughter's favorites.For your approval -_-: post-38-0-72062700-1302536002_thumb.jpg post-38-0-17104000-1302536004_thumb.jpg
Sorry for the late welcome and I'm sure its already been said, but you found a great site with some of the greatest craftspeople and artisans in the world as members. I am honored to make you acquaintance.
Scott

Hi Scott, glad to meet you. When I look at your daughter's favourite I see that you fully understand gesture and attitude in a sculptural subject. i see the big effort you went to in order to 'tweak' the position of every body part that you used in order to create 'life' and 'emotion.'( I know the amount of time and thought that this requires and must have been a real pain on such small parts.) Well done indeed!!!!!!. if you ever do bigger stuff with that same approach using interesting scrap items i am in trouble as I will have some serious competition. Not sure if i like the paint tho , maybe white would work beter for the bleached bones?'
cheers a

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Megs and JGRAFF for your vote of confidence. In order to 'capture' movement in the sculpture I try to put myself in the place of the animal. ( psst dont tell anyone my secret ) When you do this and think of an emotion.for
eg; fear or anger. you imagine you are the subject. then ask yourself how would my head and neck be positioned where would my arms (paws /wings ) be. I guess i humanise the subject and then use human gestures in the animal sculpture. Does this make sense to anyone??????????????????
cheers
Andrew

Makes sense to me, but do your neighbors wonder what your doing flapping your arms and hoping around or do they just think your on fire again :huh:

yes it does sound a bit kooky but you have to visualise the finished work somehow before you start on the internal frame. as i cant draw well enough to capture the feeling this method seems to work for me and yes i would be embarassed getting caught at it by the neighbours.(my wife already knows im crazy)

YVES .....thank you for the compliment . scrapmetal art has recieved a thorough beating by the 'academic experts' and eletist snobs and art critics over the years and some normal folks only see the scrap as scrap, i never agreed with them as its just another medium like papier mache or bronze. im so glad you have changed your thoughts on this sort of stuff.
andrew

Yeah, you got watch out for them "normal" folk and them "academic" types, I have a feeling deep in my soul that they are the really "abnormal" ones in my life. :blink:

Yes sorry bout that BENTIRON i will have to choose my words more carefully. I have no bitch about academics they are an essential part of the food chain and are entitled to an equal say.. (As for 'Normal' I think I should have said 'just your average person') I am amazed (though I shouldnt be ) that the 'peoples choice' awards for an art show are hardly ever the same choice as a highly credentialled , University educated Art Judge. What is it that they see and we do not? Im not sure that the anwer is worth going to university for.
Can anyone enlighten me with a simple answer?

The largest purse given out is in Grand Rapids Michigan where the Art Prize competition is judged by the general public, not sure its any better "art". I really don't think it matters who the critics are if you stay true to your personal convictions.

Here is a link to this debate if want a larger can of worm for breakfast,

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&srchtype=discussedNews&gid=950027&item=49056017&type=member&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_pd-ttl-cn

Scrapartoz I have just viewed your works and you are the 'king'. I have been dabling in creating works from scrap metal for some time and have sold some, given some away, and have been told I am good at it, but you my friend are awsome ( I just got my wife off the couch to show her your works as she knows how much time I spend out the back and she now realises the time spent and size of my works are minor in comparrision to yours.) I drool at the rust coloured 'gold' you have lying around and could only dream about walking out my back door and into my workshop to create. Fantastic keep it up. Cheers Bully

The largest purse given out is in Grand Rapids Michigan where the Art Prize competition is judged by the general public, not sure its any better "art". I really don't think it matters who the critics are if you stay true to your personal convictions.

Here is a link to this debate if want a larger can of worm for breakfast,

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&srchtype=discussedNews&gid=950027&item=49056017&type=member&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_pd-ttl-cn

Ya gotta be a member of Linkedin to view this. Is there another way to see it?

Scrapartoz I have just viewed your works and you are the 'king'. I have been dabling in creating works from scrap metal for some time and have sold some, given some away, and have been told I am good at it, but you my friend are awsome ( I just got my wife off the couch to show her your works as she knows how much time I spend out the back and she now realises the time spent and size of my works are minor in comparrision to yours.) I drool at the rust coloured 'gold' you have lying around and could only dream about walking out my back door and into my workshop to create. Fantastic keep it up. Cheers Bully

thanks Bully for those kind and encouraging words. its been a lifes dream to get to this point. my nearest neighbour is 1 km away and thats my dad. so I can have a real mess here, lots of noize at any hour and no one complains. ive only been doing this for just over 5 years and i really wished I had started when younger and made a career of it. I hope you continue to persue your own dream coz it will come to you eventually if just stick to it.Good luck with your art and future . cheers Andrew

Sorry, I didn't realize until after the post, here is one I picked out that could get you rolling...

Thomas "Tj" Aitken • Intuitive Vs.. Intelectual. Hmmm... If we leave the public to their intuition then they respond to glitter and spectacle, and yes subject matter. Criticism requires knowledge of factors to asses. Understanding our intuition requires organized knowledge. The list is how the public learns the factors. A hierarchy of vocabulary which lumps and splits the factors into categories organizes for the purpose, again, of instruction, and frankly thoroughness. The further down the list one can understand, the more intricate and intimate the relationship is between artist, art, and viewer. Truly fine work weaves connections at all levels of the hierarchy of items on the list. Whether done consciously or not. whether perceived consciously or not. But my quest presently is how to start the public education process to deepen understanding.

I agree with; artists focus on technique and viewer on subject in general. So how do we learn? deepen our understanding? structure and basics is what most need to start down this path.

Here is also a flikr page for some of the work in Grand Rapids.

"Dragon," by Keith Coleman

Sorry, I didn't realize until after the post, here is one I picked out that could get you rolling...

Thomas "Tj" Aitken • Intuitive Vs.. Intelectual. Hmmm... If we leave the public to their intuition then they respond to glitter and spectacle, and yes subject matter. Criticism requires knowledge of factors to asses. Understanding our intuition requires organized knowledge. The list is how the public learns the factors. A hierarchy of vocabulary which lumps and splits the factors into categories organizes for the purpose, again, of instruction, and frankly thoroughness. The further down the list one can understand, the more intricate and intimate the relationship is between artist, art, and viewer. Truly fine work weaves connections at all levels of the hierarchy of items on the list. Whether done consciously or not. whether perceived consciously or not. But my quest presently is how to start the public education process to deepen understanding.

I agree with; artists focus on technique and viewer on subject in general. So how do we learn? deepen our understanding? structure and basics is what most need to start down this path.

Here is also a flikr page for some of the work in Grand Rapids.

"Dragon," by Keith Coleman

thats fascinating Michael .....How can i view this list?

Linkedin has different groups, this one is called contemporary sculpture. The Art Prize is pretty big but Sculpture by the sea is a hugh deal over there, I think Bondi is the largest, they also have a peoples choice :D

thanks for the bondi tip michael, i will check it out.

here are some shots of my eagle at the recent Easter Holiday Lake Jindabyne "Lake Light Sculpture" competition a kind stranger sent them to me today. Its interesting that Michaels post said the public repond to spectacle and Glitter. I guess that this must be true as the Eagle and hare is most certainly a gladatorial spectacle for people to ponder the bloody outcome of the 'match' and yes they did love it as it won 'The peoples choice" award with landslide proportions. I guess that as there is not much glitter and shallow subject matter so some must see this as not art by that definition. I see this business is going to get a tad complicated for my simple mind.! I think I have some serious reading in front of me! cheers

jind5.jpg
jind1.jpg
jind4.jpg
jind3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott, glad to meet you. When I look at your daughter's favourite I see that you fully understand gesture and attitude in a sculptural subject. i see the big effort you went to in order to 'tweak' the position of every body part that you used in order to create 'life' and 'emotion.'( I know the amount of time and thought that this requires and must have been a real pain on such small parts.) Well done indeed!!!!!!. if you ever do bigger stuff with that same approach using interesting scrap items i am in trouble as I will have some serious competition. Not sure if i like the paint tho , maybe white would work beter for the bleached bones?'
cheers a

Thank you for the kind words :) Yeah, the paint was partly an attempt at a bio-mechanical feel and what was on hand. In retrospect, I wish I would have not painted it at all. I thought about stripping it a re-doing but just figure I'll do the "next one" differently B)
Scott

Thank you for the kind words :) Yeah, the paint was partly an attempt at a bio-mechanical feel and what was on hand. In retrospect, I wish I would have not painted it at all. I thought about stripping it a re-doing but just figure I'll do the "next one" differently B)
Scott

Hi Scott i discovered a good technique for what you propose . Light a fire and BBQ the thang(burn the paint off.) This leaves a lovely multi coloured finish. ( you can wire brush the carbon off ) and then hit it with some sort of coating . the fire will give a unique pattern of different colours,

To Glen 56 I apologise for not responding sooner ( had some stuff going on ) sorry mate. Glad you like the Art.!!!!