I Forge Iron

Wildlife in the Forge!

Dear All,

I was moving my gas bottles around yesterday and apart from the large number of toads I have running around my forge, I saw this ugly looking lady offering security to my oxygen bottle.

What interesting wildlife is crawling, running or flying around your forge?.

Cheers,

Paddy

post-3510-031057000 1284036303_thumb.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mice and so bullsnakes, black widows---quite a few, probably a tarantula or two wandering through, I've chased a couple of humming birds out when they come in the shop and get confused by the fiberglass panels in the roof---sorry no exit that way!

I check my gloves and hearing protectors before putting them on---I want to make a screened in container for them so they can dry out after use but not get buggy...I am also careful *NOT* to reach where I cannot see---black widows and the possibility of rattlesnakes. I took a 12 button rattle off a road kill rattlesnake within sight of my house a week ago.

Living in the desert!

I have geckos running around wich is not normal for Nashville. The first I took home for my step son thinking it was an escaped pet but since then I've seen several all different sizes. They scatter when I turn off the lights.

I also keep a 4.5' tegu, its like a south American monitor lizard. He out grew our apt. So my wife asked (made me) move him to the shop. Clients get a kick out of him.

Cats . . . lots and lots of cats . . .

A Polydactyl momma and 5 mutant babies showed up about 5 weeks ago . . . My GF is a cat whisperer so I was doomed from the start.
My shop is now a feline halfway house - the only satisfaction I get is watching them scatter when I fire up the power hammer dry.gif

post-3223-004620400 1284051936_thumb.jpg post-3223-008450400 1284051968_thumb.jpg

I have some very small, very strange and rather ugly red worms living in my front bosh (quench tank). With the amount of toxic nastiness that's in there I'm surprised they can survive, but they seem pretty happy boogying around down there, so I just let them be.

Spiders brown recluse and black widows. Mice and milk snakes. Mice like to build nests with the door insulation of my gas fprge. I'm half decent throwing a chisel. Surprised myself and a couple of mice.

now that you mention mice and their nests, I've had a mouse build a nest, get this, inside the tuyere of my solid fuel forge. I went to crank up the heat the other day and I noticed my fan wouldn't turn. i reached in an turned it by mand a time or two and it started right up. then I saw there was still not very much air flow. I took the fan off and saw the pipe was full of little mouse nesting fluff. I've made sure I fire up that thing once a week now that I now it;s prime realestate for critters

Dear All,

I was moving my gas bottles around yesterday and apart from the large number of toads I have running around my forge, I saw this ugly looking lady offering security to my oxygen bottle.

What interesting wildlife is crawling, running or flying around your forge?.

Cheers,

Paddy

WHAT THE XXXX IS THAT !!! :blink:

... and where do you live ?!?!

The only critter I've had to deal with in my shed/shop was a opposum who decided to get comfy under my work bench.

Cats . . . lots and lots of cats . . .

A Polydactyl momma and 5 mutant babies showed up about 5 weeks ago . . . My GF is a cat whisperer so I was doomed from the start.
My shop is now a feline halfway house - the only satisfaction I get is watching them scatter when I fire up the power hammer dry.gif

I have lots of friends who have barn cats - I'm seriously thinking of keeping a shop cat, specifically to keep the critters at bay.

I don't consider a shop cat as "wildlife" they are more like wildlife prevention and/or search and destroy units.

My cat likes to lay on the concrete floor in the way; or if I'm in the extension, up on a table so he can keep an eye on what I'm doing. But he's not a full time shop cat. I've been thinking of building a shop door for him; just got to do it so the local skunks can make use of it. I was thinking of having it high and making a set of "jump steps" to get to it.

Oh I also have sparrows in nesting in the eves and had a dozen barn swallows on the roof a couple of mornings ago---they nest on our house porches. We also have a local roadrunner but I chase him away as I like the lizards and snakes!

Spears, That sure is a nice Rat snake you got there, it'll keep the mice out of your shop and house, it's a keeper. :blink:
The only real problem I had in the shop was Black Widows and scorpions, that's bad enough! Where I am now we get lots of stuff around the equipment and steel, rattlers, spiders, scorpions, javelina, bobcats, coyotes, owls, gila monsters, if it's wild it's around the stuff. :o

The smaller critters, like the pack rat was saying, O Boy! more places to pack in dog crap, cactus thorns and other stuff. I get so tired of cleaning up after them things. I trap and drown around 20 to 30 a year and it doesn't seem to slow them down a bit. In the summer the carcase gets thrown on the side of the road for the Turkey Vultures to eat and in the winter I put it on top of the neighbors wall for the bobcat to eat. Pack Rats make such a mess with their crap, chew up everything, hauling in all the dog crap out of the yard, chewing up cholla cactus, it's an awful mess all the time. I never kill a snake because they eat pack rats, not even a rattler. Rattlers I just relocate with my snake tongs, but I sure don't like pack rats. :angry:

I saw that spider again today, it's now living in the plastic sheet that I put over my gas bottles to keep a few drips off. It was moving around looking menacing. I really don't want to find out what it is. it isn't a brown recluse or a black widow thats the main thing. Glad to see loads of wildlife gets a look in.
cheers,

paddy

Hey Paddy, I believe you have an ORB WEAVER spider.

My smithy, such as it is, is open to the elements. Right now I am up to 1,980 gallons worth of 55 gallon drums stacked, and welded into 2 walls. No roof,since we only get an average of 4.5" of rain a year.

On my property I have a covey of quail that marches through every morning, and evening. I have also seen in the house, or around the property; roadrunners, banded geckos, desert iguanas, desert recluse, sun spiders, black widows, doves, a couple of feral cats, yodel dogs, ground squirrels, gophers, and scorpions-just caught another big one last night.

I never would have thought that there were flippin gophers in the desert. Bentiron, you hate pack rats (hmmm, some people call me that :huh: ) I hate gophers. They have killed quite a few of the trees, and shrubs I have put in, and one, or more is trying their best to fill in my basement <_< Trapped a couple, but I need to train the feral cats to go after them. Haven't seen any mice, so maybe they are keeping full on them.

This latest scorpion is around 4", fed it a cricket last night. If I find a scorpion in the house I relocate it outside to eat cockroaches. Black widows don't bother me, as they stay in the basement. The desert recluses on the other hand assume room temp as soon as I see one in the house.

As for the quail, I hope they will keep coming around as long as I am here. I really enjoy seeing them come through, and listening to them as they scratch around for seeds.

Nice thing about Maine is that the pests are, by and large, non-poisionous. Rattlers and scorpions and spiders, oh my!
Does a skunk in the trash bin count? The removal was less than successful and I didn't use the foundry for a month or so...