I Forge Iron

Build Your Own Leg Vise

Tim McCoy

Sometimes ideas need to be modified from one craft to be used in another ...

isn't there a way to build a leg vise out of mild and/or tool steel that replicates what is seen in this video? Make it so that the jaws of the vise are proud of the top of the table or ...? Who will be the first to try this - maybe fork lift tine, mild steel bar, a hinge, spring, acme screw and weld it to a base ... well you get the idea. :o

The only problem I see Tim is that I haven't paid over $20 for a post vise. Probably cost more to make one than one can be purchased for.

If you are interested in one, I can stop by a shop I pass every day, and see if they want to sell the one sitting out in front of the shop.

These pictures are of a post-type vice I made from scrap metal. Acme threaded rod and nuts can be purchased from the ENCO sale catalog quite reasonable even up to a 1.5" diameter. Spherical washers I purchased from REID supply company. It works well with a non-sloppy hinge at the bottom and a pivoting acme nut on the solid side under the clamping plates. Spherical washers on the lose jaw side because it is a radial clamp not linear. But why all the trouble?? Because it works well for a lot of applications and with years of education and experience designing and machining and welding metal fixture assemblies I can show the world I constructed something useful from the scrap pile. If this is what I do for fun, boy I'm sure a bundle of laughs! Not to mention how silly I look poking around out back at the factory junk pile like some seagull poking around a dead maggot fish pile on the beach. Sure there is a bit of pride and cost savings with self made equipment, but BIGGUNDOCTOR typed in a lot less words and still solved the problem cheaper. Quite a bit of learning has been accomplished by building my own stuff and for "that only" I would say it was worth it. Bragging about how much I didn't have to pay for something; well...only fooling myself! Good luck with your projects! Peace :-) Spears.

post-9545-060171500 1281102716_thumb.jpg post-9545-002835900 1281102701_thumb.jpg post-9545-019663300 1281102687_thumb.jpg

found this its for lashing shipping contaners together it has left and right thread the jaws move in and out opp and towards each other as the shaft is rotated.good to fix a leg vice with a bad /broken thread/box or make a vise.

post-12950-059558800 1281129872_thumb.jp

post-12950-092830300 1281129874_thumb.jp

It's always a treat to throw out an idea here and see what returns! As a learning blacksmith it helps to find out other people's thoughts are about processes. Thanks to all of you for the links and the ideas - BIGGUNDOCTOR - stop by the place you mentioned, find me a $20 post vice and I'll polish that wreck of a car you drive :D

This one was built using the plan that was mentioned in the post by John McPherson, not closely but with that idea.It works for what I need. Except for the square bar that is four pieces of one inch bar welded together, base rim, and the screw and "nut"(which is a pillar block of a truck spring set)the rest is made of truck and car springs. The vise weighs about 60 lbs without the cement, with the cement it weighs about 120 lbs. It can be moved without much effort and one can stand on the cement if much force is needed to bend material.

post-7305-053252500 1281892396_thumb.jpg

post-7305-022570000 1281892425_thumb.jpg

These pictures are of a post-type vice I made from scrap metal. Acme threaded rod and nuts can be purchased from the ENCO sale catalog quite reasonable even up to a 1.5" diameter. Spherical washers I purchased from REID supply company. It works well with a non-sloppy hinge at the bottom and a pivoting acme nut on the solid side under the clamping plates. Spherical washers on the lose jaw side because it is a radial clamp not linear. But why all the trouble?? Because it works well for a lot of applications and with years of education and experience designing and machining and welding metal fixture assemblies I can show the world I constructed something useful from the s--t pile. If this is what I do for fun, boy I'm sure a bundle of laughs! Not to mention how silly I look poking around out back at the factory junk pile like some seagull poking around a dead maggot fish pile on the beach. Sure there is a bit of pride and cost savings with self made equipment, but BIGGUNDOCTOR typed in a lot less words and still solved the problem cheaper. Quite a bit of learning has been accomplished by building my own stuff and for "that only" I would say it was worth it. Bragging about how much I didn't have to pay for something; well...only fooling myself! Good luck with your projects! Peace :-) Spears.

post-9545-060171500 1281102716_thumb.jpg post-9545-002835900 1281102701_thumb.jpg post-9545-019663300 1281102687_thumb.jpg

I like it!

That is a neat video, and some nice SHARP tools. The vise is pretty slick too.
Phil

Not for long if they keep putting them face down on to the table, or am I mistaken in that the planes should be placed on their side when not being used before returning to their correct storage place where the blades are protected ?

Not for long if they keep putting them face down on to the table, or am I mistaken in that the planes should be placed on their side when not being used before returning to their correct storage place where the blades are protected ?

Carpenters can be very fussy about that sort of thing. Is 'smithing the only trade where dropping the tools is considered acceptable?

I have never had trouble finding blacksmith vices. But I have had trouble finding complete working vices. I have become somewhat skilled at making the some of the parts though. I rather push my forging skills than my fabrication skills and take the time. It is a tool I use every day and it gives me a lot of pride to know that I fixed it right. Also I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that I put a very old tool back into service. I have forged leg vice springs, washers, the keyed pivot bolt at the bottom, and mounting plates. My next project will be to forge a box with a brazed thread.

Carpenters can be very fussy about that sort of thing. Is 'smithing the only trade where dropping the tools is considered acceptable?

Actually dropping the tools is acceptable in all the trades.
Dropping them usually comes about right after the office dwellers appear and start telling you how to do the job.After you drop them(the tools not the office dwellers,I sometimes have trouble remembering that part) you usually walk toward the door while only half listening to the apologies and pleas to come back. B)

Nice wood leg vise that fellow has and I like all of them home made vise shaped objects too. Since I have been sitting here on my buttocks making jewelry for my wife and seen the outrageous prices for some of the tools they sell for making said jewelry, I have found that my experience of pounding iron to be very beneficial in making my own tools at a lot less cost. They may not be as pretty or fine looking but they do the job. I think one of best parts of being a smith was and is the ability to make what I need when I need and to improve on what already existed. I like that big wheel on the ABANA vise that would be handy for sure. Now if that were on Spears vise that would be hum-dinger of a vise. Aren't we a wonderful group of folk! :P

Actually dropping the tools is acceptable in all the trades.
Dropping them usually comes about right after the office dwellers appear and start telling you how to do the job.After you drop them(the tools not the office dwellers,I sometimes have trouble remembering that part) you usually walk toward the door while only half listening to the apologies and pleas to come back. B)

I've found that smiling and passing them the hammer works well. :)

I've found that smiling and passing them the hammer works well. :)

Not in a union shop.It`s a guaranteed grievance if they touch the tools or the work.
I have been known to pass them hot steel.One or two of them have even accepted my offer,shame they didn`t bring their gloves.

Not in a union shop.It`s a guaranteed grievance if they touch the tools or the work.
I have been known to pass them hot steel.One or two of them have even accepted my offer,shame they didn`t bring their gloves.

That's a very crappy thing to do to a person. I would fire you if you did that in my shop.