I Forge Iron

Build Your Own Leg Vise

Tim McCoy

I dont see many old ones around these parts, so back to the ford pile I went. Turned a F350 2wd int a 4x4, the one of the twin I beam parts looked close enough for a post, had a cast steel trailer linkage to make the jaws from, I'm thinking of just pouring babbit for the screw. The front jaw is on a half leaf spring that will set on a pivot, and attach to the other half pushing up the back, if that makes sense. I'll post another pic when I get back to it.

post-13152-022589400 1282357994_thumb.jp

post-13152-068024300 1282358021_thumb.jp

post-13152-074674000 1282358048_thumb.jp

post-13152-079996900 1282358072_thumb.jp

As usual your post and pics have my attention there Poleframer.I very much look forward to seeing this progress.
You seem to have captured both the heart and the spirit of blacksmithing.Go to the scrap pile,see what`s there and turn it into what you need.
This is both inspiring on more than one level and way cool stuff to watch.
By all means keep us posted as you sort this out.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont see many old ones around these parts, so back to the ford pile I went. Turned a F350 2wd int a 4x4, the one of the twin I beam parts looked close enough for a post, had a cast steel trailer linkage to make the jaws from, I'm thinking of just pouring babbit for the screw. The front jaw is on a half leaf spring that will set on a pivot, and attach to the other half pushing up the back, if that makes sense. I'll post another pic when I get back to it.

cool man, kudos indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not in a union shop.It`s a guaranteed grievance if they touch the tools or the work.
I have been known to pass them hot steel.One or two of them have even accepted my offer,shame they didn`t bring their gloves.

I assume "hot" means uncomfortable to hold, not hot enough to burn. If any kind of injury resulted from this trick, I believe it would constitute a criminal act. Being on the wrong side of a criminal prosecution followed by the inevitable action for damages would make a grievance over touching tools fade into the background.

• 2 weeks later...

Start checking yard sales for used bar-bell bars.

My son has a second-hand bar that is Acme threaded with big spinner nuts on each end.

I think it is 1".
Take apart an old trash compactor and there will be 1 to 4 heavy threaded rods of acme or square profile (mine had 3), and a bunch of heavy gauge sheet metal. In fact my "hot" table is a frame from a compactor flipped upside down.

• 8 months later...

There were plans posted by ABANA in the Hammers Blow a few years ago, and posted on-line. I have seen at least one built.

http://www.abana.org/downloads/education/VerticalVise.pdf

Thanks for this interesting information.