I Forge Iron

Fireplace screen pics, and tool question

2 in 1 thread but they are both related so I thought it ok to make on thread

First are some pictures of a fireplace screen. (my first) Unfortunately this is not the screen I designed and started on over in "members projects." That is a "when-I-have-spare-time" piece and spare time comes but sparingly! :huh: That one is under way still though, for those of you who thought I'd given up.
This screen is 2 feet tall in the middle and 3 feet wide. The handles, feet, and accents are forged, the frame fabricated, and it is all held together by rivets.

DSC04165.jpg

DSC04167.jpg

DSC04168.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04172.jpg

Now for the question!

I want to make a fireplace tool set! I have been told to purchase broom heads and tap thread the end of a forged handle. However, I HATE screw on broom heads. I have one that is stripped out and even when they aren't they always seem to be coming unscrewed. (Sounds alot like my head! :huh: ) Anyway, are there other options? What about rivet broom heads? I LOVE rivets! Any help would be appreciated!

(Just for fun, here are some picts of me forging with a friend....and no it's not my shop! :( )

DSC04073.jpg
DSC04071.jpg
They had a TIRE HAMMER! YEEEHAW!
DSC04050.jpg

And we both like history so here we are colonial!
DSC04161-1.jpg
(Hums the "British Grenadiers!"LOL :P )
Thanks in advance!
Dave

You could use a small plate between the handle and the broom and drill the plate and put a couple of small lag bolts into the broom and then heat the heads, shape to desired rivet like shape and cool. Nice screen by the way.
Check blacksmith's depot, they sell the fireplace brush.

Hi Dave, nice job with the guard.

With regards to brush heads on handles.

Not knowing what shape of head you are using, and having similar problems in the past, one way I found to evercome this was to use a metal shroud or cover to contain the body of the brush, this is just made to the same shape as the brush head so it nestles snuggly inside it, works for rectangular, round or other shapes where the brush is fixed on the end of the handle

The shroud could be rivetted directly onto a tenon at the base of the handle (I would put a squat ball on and tenon from that to give a bit more support to the brush when in use,)

Or split the end and open it out to 180 degrees and rivet it on to the shroud, (room for personal expression on shape of ends) or you could just use decorative screws to hold into the bodu of the brush without a shrod.

The shroud is attached to the brush head by using screws, forged pins/nails or any other suitable method you like

I have also use shrouds when using a handled hearth brush as the source for the brush head, cut off the handle and make as previously.

Hope this helps, or triggers off other thoughts to investigate, sorry I have no pics suitable to download here.

Nice job on the fireplace screen Dave. Well done!

I like your friend! I don't know if you realize how rare and wonderful it is to find a lady who has a power hammer!

You my friend must be living RIGHT! :D

Frosty the Lucky.

Nice job on the fireplace screen Dave. Well done!

I like your friend! I don't know if you realize how rare and wonderful it is to find a lady who has a power hammer!

You my friend must be living RIGHT! :D

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks Frosty!

Your right! She is a lady! :) With the help of Almighty God I live right!

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm hoping to be able to figure out something. I don't think I can afford to purchase a broom head woven onto my handles. Though perhaps if I turn out a good set of tools with a stand I will go that route. I don't know! I love the look of the ones like those, (woven,) and I don't want to do second rate pieces if I can help it!

It'll take some more research!
Thanks!

Dave

This is a fireplace set I made when I first started forging. I thinned out a piece of 1/4" plate and curved it around to capture the stem of a broom I bought at an art show. It isn't the right kind of broom for use, but looks "ok" for ornamental. It was MIG welded to a 3/8" square handle and then cold pounded down onto the broom in the end. Hopefully you can make out this picture because with more experience this would make a nice looking connection. Good luck. Spears.

post-9545-12674730555858_thumb.jpg

This is a fireplace set I made when I first started forging. I thinned out a piece of 1/4" plate and curved it around to capture the stem of a broom I bought at an art show. It isn't the right kind of broom for use, but looks "ok" for ornamental. It was MIG welded to a 3/8" square handle and then cold pounded down onto the broom in the end. Hopefully you can make out this picture because with more experience this would make a nice looking connection. Good luck. Spears.

post-9545-12674730555858_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks "Spears."

That looks pretty good for holding the broom! Perhaps a couple of rivets to hold it on firm!? I don't like the idea of the brads like on anvil fire, but the socket hold for the broom handle would also be nice! The brads will come out too easily I think!

This guy's stuff seems pretty nice. http://www.broomshop.com/ Perhaps I'll forge a whole set and the handle to the broom. If I am satisfied with the way the whole thing looks, then I can send it off and get this guy to put a broom on. If I don't think my piece is worthy of that large of an investment just on the broom, then I'll do something else!
Got to go forge now! LOL

Dave