I Forge Iron

Hearts for Valentine's Day

Thanks for a great idea and good detail. I was looking for a way to incorporate hearts into a napkin ring design. Perfect and just in time. I know what I'll be doing today.

Okay, this edit is coming later in the day. I spent a little time in the shop trying out this detail. Very neat hearts and a neat bend technique. I have time to make a whole bunch before the weekend. Thanks again for a great idea. I learned something today.

I spent a couple of hours making hearts yesterday this is a fun project that uses very little material and fuel and teaches you hammer control. Also made one out of an old horse shoe it came out a little rough but thought I would share it as wellpost-10376-12657275525906_thumb.jpgpost-10376-12657275936945_thumb.jpg

I ended up making 20 of these hearts. It got easier and faster as I went along. After shaping I hammered them flat to get a uniform surface, warmed them in the fire and applied parafin wax. Resulted in a nice satin black finish. The were very well recieved by the recipients.

That bend detail will be useful in other projects.

Thanks to Brian for his heart demo, its a winner on its own so I added a rose to make it into a wall mounted plaque type thingy.

Now I have to alter it as the intended would like it to freestand upright on a mantel, with a more copper finish to the rose, so back to the forge and pickle.

At least the heart was OK, and its the thought that counts.

Good job I decided to attach the rose with a screw and custom brass nut rather than rivetting it on. I had to leave the corner thicker to allow for tenoning, made it from 5/8" round.

Will post pictures when I get it altered.

post-816-12661744181278_thumb.jpg

post-816-12661744864004_thumb.jpg

post-816-12661746711948_thumb.jpg

I saw some unicorn shoes (heart shaped) made from horse shoes. The way that smith did it was by folding the shoe in half, drew the ends down, and then curved one end. When it was unfolded (the lower point was where it was folded) it formed a heart that was symmetrical. Real easy to keep the sides symmetrical this way,as you are working both sides at the same time.

Haven't posted or been at the anvil in while and thought I would post my attempt at Brian's design. I also wanted to say thanks, it got me out hammering on something and it has been a while...oh! wait I already said that!.

Russell

Sorry! this time with the picture attached. Guess I didn't have it sized right. :blink:

post-3443-12662840091904_thumb.jpg

Brian,

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Made one of the hearts on Saturday. Gave it to my wife as a Valentine (along with a card).

It doesn't smell as good as roses, but I'm sure it will last longer.

Don

Nice process shots and hearts Brian. Projects like this are not only great for demos. All basic techniques and an end product that sells is a gem. Another good thing about getting a large order besides getting good at making the item, heart in this case, it's a real skill booster. It's one thing to be able to make a quality item, it's another entirely to be able to make one quickly.

I believe this has just become one of my recovery projects. I've just started getting back in the shop and something like this will be excellent getting me back in shape and honing up some rather rusty skills.

So tell me Brian, have you ever considered visiting Alaska? Our club is in the market for a clinician for the July meeting. I'll be putting together a more detailed request to post here tomorrow but I'm writing now and it's your thread. . .

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty, We'd love to come to Alaska. You know I was born there, and I haven't been there since I was ten years old. I've always wanted to go back. We'll have to get with my social director, Karen, and make it happen. E-mail us.
Thanks, Brian

Born here, :o no fooling? Too cool, I'll shoot you an E-mail on the side.

Thank you Brian.

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks.
I know Brian started this thread back in February but I only just saw it today.
Brian - I really love that whole "photo blueprint" you did. It looks amazingly effective. There wasn't a single stage where I didn't understand what you were doing or how you got there. I found that even more easy to understand than some videos I've watched. Thanks so much. I want to save that whole filmstrip for my own library - would you be okay with that?
Sam.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for posting this Brian, and thanks to Thomas for the extra link.
I made some of these recently and people really like them, I put a key ring on them- very popular item. I also like the going too far and correcting part (something I do a lot of) I need to make a pair of tongs like that now.