I Forge Iron

Hearts for Valentine's Day

Here is a forging exercise that can help support your habit. I've earned more money from various different hearts than any other thing I've ever made. This one uses a technique that I learned from Alfred Habermann. I call it the Habermann bend. I know he did not invent it, but he did teach it for more than 25 years to others who have used it since for many different applications.

The steps up to the fifth picture can be done in one heat after you do a few.
post-4954-12655734494655_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12655734735135_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12655734961836_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12655735138551_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12655735372935_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12655735588628_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12655735846177_thumb.jpgpost-4954-1265573604472_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12655736232701_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that, great sequence.

I have also found hearts to be a "best seller" - Valentines of course, and every married couple has an anniversary, and always good for wedding presents! Although I will have to admit I've been doing them in a slightly more complicated way than this! (bend at the top and tapers at the bottom) Will give this a go!

Simple and elegant. Very nice.

Got pics of finished ideas to use the hearts for, or are they the entire project?

Phil

That is all I do with them. They can be used as pendants, key rings, or napkin rings. I made 500 of them once for a wedding. They used them as napkin rings and the table gift.

Wow 500!!that must've been really boring even after the first 10..and they all have to be exactly the same!
but the money mut have been rewarding!:lol:

A job like that seems overwhelming at first, but after about 10, it's all about the heats and the hits. You start to see what it can be done in, and you get pretty skilled at it. You start to count the hits and race against yourself. It turns into a challenge intead of a job, and it gets done quicker than you ever imagined.

I got it now. I guess that might have sounded like a stupid question though :rolleyes: . At first I thought that it was a special kind of tool or something (kinda shows my inexperience).

-Andrew

No stupid questions. I just read that thread and saw the pics. I can tell you that altering a hammer head can damage an inadequate set of tongs, I expect making a hammer to be similar.
Phil

Bentiron, I've done these in both copper and silver, and I've found that if you put some wet cardboard in your tong jaws then put a tong clip on so your piece doesn't move, then the cardboard will turn to charcoal and protect your forging from your tongs marking it while you draw the other end out. Then you can do your bending cold, and stiffen it up at the same time.

Good Morning All
3BS -Very precise as usual. Will you please elaborate on the technique used to forge such nice square corners on your 90? Did you upset any material into the corner? -tks grant

You don't upset the material; you draw it out. If you look in the sequence of the heart, you may notice after the bend the material has been drawn out with a cross pean at the corner. After that, I chose to use a sharp edge of the anvil to form the inside of the bend and struck the outside with the flat of my hammer to bring the corner in line with the original material. The other hearts were done on a rounded edge. You'll notice if you look at the inside of the bend. Thanks for asking the question. This is a simple technique, not just a heart shape.

Here is a picture of 3/4" square stock forged the same way, except I left the inside even more rounded. These type of bends can be forged in one heat, and you can make them very sharp or radiused however you choose. It also make a very strong bend. post-4954-12656792753152_thumb.jpg