I Forge Iron

Curmudgeon

Rich Hale

I hold that, like many middle eastern titles, the ranks of curmudgeonhood are given to one by acclaim.

Thanks HW!

as to how to ascend: keep answering the same questions over and over again and fight the good fight in vain over popular culture's glaring errors. It helps to have a few strongly held beliefs like RR spikes are NOT proper knife alloys; practicing knifemaking on non-knife alloys doesn't get you as far as fast as learning on the real stuff and not to pick up a hammer for the first time and light a match and demand to know how to make a damascus greatsword with your family tree delineated in the pattern on one side and obscure knock knock jokes in polish transliterated into the elder FUTHARK on the other side!

(how was my acceptance speech?---And Pep, if you read this DON'T YOU DARE!)

Bravo, Bravo....clap clap clap.

All joking aside, I want everyone on this thread to know I respect all of you and your experience in the craft. I also vow to never ask a repetitively asked question, at least without searching the forum first. LOL.

Keep up the good work fellas!

Merriam-Webster

cur·mud·geon Pronunciation: \(ˌ)kər-ˈmə-jən\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1568

1 archaic : miser
2 : a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

Dictionary on line –noun, a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.
Google - noun, a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas
internet - noun, a surly, ill-mannered, bad-tempered person; cantankerous fellow

In his later years, the actor Walter Matthau played curmudgeons (e.g., in Grumpy Old Men' ).

Thomas,

Excellent acceptance speech!Very moving and motivational,now I want to be a curmudgeon when I grow up.
While I`m waiting can you tell me what a good first knife would be and how do I quench a RR spike?

Ducking and running now and hoping to make it to cover.That hot iron hurts when it hits and he still has a good arm for an old guy. :)

Answering the folks out there who might profit from a straight answer to this question...A good first knife is a fairly small 1 sided blade forged from a piece of automotive coil spring---if you have access to a cutting torch, running it down opposite sides of a coil spring and making knives from all the pieces is good practice and allows you to practice your heat treat skills on a number of reasonably identical blades.

Quenching a RR spike; given that you have made something appropriate to the alloy of the spike, super-quench is about as good as you can get.

Opt Cur: If you have forged a knife from a spike I would suggest a seppuku quench as the most impressive one

Journeyman crumudgeons? HA! I am THE crumdgeon and don't ya all forget it...when you throw an 8lb hammer at someone to stop them from doing something so totally assinine that it will not only cost them their life but the lives of everyone within a 5 block radius THEN you can become one of the few, the chosen..THE Crumudgeon...

JPH

I`ve seen folks hit more than once by an 8# sledge and had my jaw broke by one.Does that at least get my foot in the door?
If my former boss"Rampant Ray" had stuck around after he launched me while holding a 6 stick can of gelled nitro(with detonator in place) I was planning on hitting him repeatedly with a 12 pound sledge but I landed on my back knocking the wind out of me so I was too busy passing out to run him down. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

On Thomas' Cur-mud-geon. I realize I am two weeks late on this post.

Having had several dealing with the accused.Grin
I believe the #1 and #2 of GLENNS explanation pretty well fill out
THOMAS's rather clever abilities to go right to the point and squat like an ole hen.
If you check his track record he is generally right on the money.

That's my 2 CENTS worth.----BOG

chuck

Merriam-Webster

cur·mud·geon Pronunciation: \(ˌ)kər-ˈmə-jən\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1568

1 archaic : miser
2 : a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

Dictionary on line –noun, a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.
Google - noun, a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas
internet - noun, a surly, ill-mannered, bad-tempered person; cantankerous fellow

In his later years, the actor Walter Matthau played curmudgeons (e.g., in Grumpy Old Men' ).

While we are complaining, Anyone notice we have NOT moved/relocates the lost posts to where they should be? But as requested by so many Whiners, we have left the anvil, heat treat and axe questions scattered all over the forum among the other 100k+ posts, some in places that no one actually trying to find them would look, and I do hope no one really has to find one of them in a hurry now, hard to find; but so many seemed to demand we not move things in a category, we have left them and spent out valuable time (unpaid I might add) on more appreciated things. Maybe someday after all the categories here loose meaning and someone can't locate a topic that THEY need to find, because its lost, I can get my journeyman curmudgeon rating as well :)