I Forge Iron

Rust on anvil, How to remove?

I keep a coffee can full of oily sand in my shop-high humidity in Florida-and for surface rust I just put on a pair of heavy leather gloves and rub the anvil or whatever tools I have with a handful of the oily sand then just wipe it off. Around here I have to do that about once a week. I also keep a slightly oiled rag drapped over my anvil and bench vise.

Oh my, what a worry it is working the rust off the face of an anvil! You just don't know how good you got it. Guess you'll just have to light the forge this weekend and polish it all off. I so envy you that task. Some guys get all the dirty jobs but hey, somebody's got to do it, right, so I think your elected by unanimous vote.

10 hours of hammering hot metal will make make you both feel better (grin)

Put some ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in a spray bottle and lightly spray the anvil face at the end of the day. It protects and does not interfere with forging the following day or week.

my pops old cenral forge anvil i have has been out side the last 30 years and has no pitting just fine surface rust and as soon as i put some hot iron on it and hammer the rust is gone maybe it made out some good steel i don't really know what it is but it holds up really well over the years i would just leave it alone and use it when you need it if you do cover it make sure it can breath as not keep condansation in

WD-40 works fairly well but only lasts until a heavy rain. What I often use on my outside anvil is a thick lubricant/grease. Harbor freight makes a synthetic grease that's about 4.49 a tube. Kinda pricy but it's excellent grease. It comes in a grey tube. If you heavily coat your anvil when not in use it shouldn't rust. I also bag my anvil with a large plastic trash garbage bag. That and the lube almost stop all rust. Then when you start forging again just wipe down the top surface. Cheers! :lol:

• 2 years later...

Don't worry about surface rust, damage comes from removing heavy rust that is in layers from years of laying in the mud.

All of my anvils are outside, and they just develop a patina when not in use. When they get used the surface is cleaned. Don't worry about it, just use it.

• 3 weeks later...