I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Knives

Lively

Howdy!
I've been lurking awhile and thought I'd jump in and say hey. I make alot of these type of knives. I call it a blacksmith knife or I guess the French would say Brut de forge type of knife. I imagine a lot of smiths make versions of these so maybe we could get a thread of photos going here. I made this one out of 5160 steel.
b21.jpg

331.attach

Hello Lively,
Seeing your knife reminded me of a letter opener I made for a friend last xmas. Made from chainsaw chain, I was pretty happy with it. Got it all welded up with no flux. I'm too scared to try it again..
Welcome to the forum!

328.attach

Not in the same league as Mr. Lively's work, but for what it's worth, the only blacksmith's knife I bothered taking a picture of before passing it on.

blacksmithknife.jpg

In Viking culture these were known as a "womans knife", as they were used in the house and for preparing food.

one_rod.

349.attach

I thought that was you Tim. I've seen ALOT of your work on different sites over the years and just love your work. One Rod, no effense to Mr. lively, but your knife is in just as good of league as his or anyone elses, and DON'T let anybody tell you any different. All knives have there own special "carrisma".

Dennis, I see you are a UP'er. Any chance you are going to the Black Iron Days at Hartwick Pines State Park next month? That is the demo I was refering to in my previous post. LAst year we probably had 50 smiths there.

Bob Harasim

Dennis, I see you are a UP'er. Any chance you are going to the Black Iron Days at Hartwick Pines State Park next month? That is the demo I was refering to in my previous post. LAst year we probably had 50 smiths there.

Bob Harasim

I have not heard about Black Iron Days. I wish to know more!

(I see it's in Grayling, and at the end of August, the same weekend as our county fair. My GF will be in the horse show, it is in my best interest not to miss that! ;) But a farier friend will be doing a hot shoing demo there so there'll be something sorta like blacksmithing going on).

August 26 and 27, we do the demo at the park. There are other demonstrators and vendors there as well. Usually we set up Friday nite. There is a free, primitive campsite available for demonstrators, tho we are in the main campground of the park, as we registered earlier in the year. There are also local hotels in Grayling, which is probably 7 miles away. If you demonstrate, you do not need to buy a state park sticker. Last year they figure they had over 2,000 visiters on Saturday alone. We really draw in the public. You can sell, tho there may be a small vendor fee. If you need more info, I can give you and email addy to my friend, who helps run the event. My addy is primitiveman43ATAOLDOTCOM, and I'll be happy to give you his addy.

Bob

Yup, Dennis is from the UP, I'm with the Trolls that live Under Da Bridge. I live in SW Michigan, and if you hold up your left hand, for a map of Michigan, Hartiwick is just above the knuckle of your "bird" finger. See, us Michigan boys never get lost, we always have our map with us!

Bob Harasim

• 2 years later...
A blueprint? I have some photos and can explain each step. Do you want me to just post them here or send them to you in an email?

oakwood, those are some fun looking knives to make. Neat handles!

Blueprint is here to what the Tutorial is on your site...I'd have to say, a lot of people here are sure to have already viewed it and been impressed !!
At least I have :) Very good looking knives !!