I Forge Iron

Ralph Douglass passes away

JimG

To our dear friends,

My beloved Ralph passed away this morning about 1:30 am. He was here at home, with me, Shannon and Nathan at his side. It was a very grace-filled death. He didn't suffer. In fact the past two days, God shielded him from all pain. It was truly miraculous.

I am so very proud of Ralph. He's been bedridden for the past two months. He even got to the point that he could barely use his arms and hands, but despite all the suffering -- esp. from the one large tumor in his neck/spine -- and despite the never ending challenges and readjustments, he never felt sorry for himself and never complained. He kept his sense of humor, his eyes on God, and his loving tenderness and care for his family and friends to the last. I only wish we had made it to Monday, our 25th wedding anniversary. But he died a year to the day that he had that pulmonary embolism that almost killed him. So God granted us another year -- time for Nathan to come home from the war, Shannon to come home from her job in Europe, to get me though my surgery and the start of my chemo, and so much more. It's been an awesome year, and I have nothing but gratitude for the time we did have.

Ralph's service is this coming Wed, July 5, at 11am, with a reception (luncheon) following at 12:15. There will also be a rosary for Ralph at 10:30, for anybody who would like to participate.
It's at
St. Matthew's Catholic Church
475 SE Third Avenue (that's 3rd and Oak)
Hillsboro, OR

I'll miss him like crazy. Thank you for your continued prayers.

Loving regards,
Dawn

I'm saddened by this news. My sympathies are with your family. I've met Ralph a couple times, we shared a memorable day at a hammer-in melting bits of glass into eyes for an animal head. I'm sorry he's gone.
Mike Hricziscse

Dawn, Shannon and Nathan, I am so sorry to hear about Ralph. I admire the way he handled himself during his illness. He was a brave man who loved his family and knew they loved him. I will keep you all in my prayers.

hi all.

to Raphs Family...

from what i knew of him, very little.

he seemeda good bloke always willin to offer advice and a hand when needed.

im sad to see him go... but as said, he is in a better place.

i hope yous are well, it is a hard thing.

a nice bloke allround...

farewell ralph...

from PC aka brett

Ralph .
mate . i's never got ta meet youse face ta face , , but over the yr's we's become mates . The sorrow i's feel now youse is gone is tearin' me apart , but i's know youse u'd want me ta go on .

Dawn , my heartful sorrow too you ,, ifin i's was closer i'd be with you , but OZ bein' so far away , my love is the best i can send to you. Be strong , i know it's hard to take , but your love wouldn't wont it any other way .

Ralph , u'll be sorely missed , Husband , father , & blacksmith ...

It was my privelidge and my good fortune to have talked with Ralph, both on the forums we visit as Smiths and through emails we exchanged. I never truly knew just how bad his illness was effecting him until the news of his death came.

I'd like to say that in my talks with him I found a man with an incredible amount of dignity and an innate sense of right and wrong. I had talked with him about my trip and he'd promised me that when I came over to the states next year we would share a beer over his forge. It is with heartfelt regret that I now find that this will never happen. It is my loss entirely. I'll keep that drink ready for when next we meet.

Ralph Douglas was a GOOD man, a brave man and a special man. I think we would have been good friends in person. It was my privelidge to be his friend at the end of a keyboard. Dawn, my DEEPEST sympathies to you and your family, if there is anything you need or anything that I can do then PLEASE let me know. He was a special man and he loved you very, very much.

"He was a man who danced on the side of the angels".

Goodbye my Friend, you will be remembered.

Ian

Although I did not get to meet Ralph in person I felt I knew him from these forums. I always found him to be generous with his time and knowledge, courageous throughout his illness, always cheerful, always with a kind word to say for others. He will be missed, and our prayers are with his family, Dawn, Nathan, and Shannon, in their grief. He will be missed by all here!

Dawn and Family:

Words alone cannot ease your pain or erase your sorow, but please know that your pain and sorrow are shared by many here. My prayers are with you and your family, may God grant you peace.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord and may perpetual light shine upon him, may he rest in peace Amen

Woody

Dawn,
We just got back from out of town and want to thank JimG for posting this in my absence.

Ralph touch many lives in the blacksmithing community and beyond. He was an inspiration through his actions and words of encouragment. Our prayers are with you and your family.

• 3 weeks later...