I Forge Iron

First Knife - blacksmith's damascus little ugly

jeremy k

This is my first knife I've made,... Darkside here I come? Well...... I'm just got my big toe wet so far.
I had first made the layered billet from 256 layers of 1084 and 15N20. It seemed to weld up ok so I figured I might as well make a small blade from the 4" long billet.
After seeing a knife after may hours and hundreds of pictures later, I decided on one that was similar to this one.
I was not triing to make a lightweight streamline knife - this is more of a novelty/knife combination. More of a conversation piece than anything and a go at knifemaking.
I did not have a pattern of the pivot geometry so I just went my own way with a sissors and some paper and a pin to simulate the pivot, when I thought I had it so it would work I started the journey.
I have made faces like this before and it fit well. The face was hot stamped with a series of simple punches.
The handle started from a chunk of 1/2" x 3/4" cold rolled stock 6-1/4" long.
The spring is just mild steel heated a good red and water quenched.
The finish is heated and block brushed heavily - looks like a silvery tumbled finish, then a good coat of Renniasiance Wax.
Total length closed is 6-1/2" long
Total length opened is 9" long
After doing the whole process of knife making I have a new appreciation for those that make knives that are well beyond the one I made. This was an eye opener and a learning experience. I'd like to thank all of those who helped me along the way with answers to my questions. - Jeremy K

13805.attach

13806.attach

13807.attach

13808.attach

13809.attach

13812.attach

Edited by jeremy k

i am attemptint to do the same thing.... i am makin punches today...i have chapmans books... neat stuff...good job on yours, in a couple of months i will show you mine...lol
1 thing, what was it about the pivot point that you needed to clarify for yourself.......

ChadJ - I will see if I have any pics of the punches, but they are really just an eye, flat round, and a couple other super simple mild steel punches I had made on the fly.

Scott - the slot was done partially with an end mill. The friend of mine who did it only had a short 3/16" cutter so it didn't get all of the slot being it was milled at an angle to the back of the handle - he stepped it as much as he could then I had to hand file the rest out. Had I did the profile of the handle first where the blade goes in the slot, I believe he could have did the whole slot with the milling machine. I did it that way because I was not sure of the handle profile at that time and I just needed to start somewhere and worked it out as I went. As always things would be done differently the second time around. - JK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing ugly about it. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING. You have a good grasp of the idea. That is a great looking piece. Do what you feel is right for you. We too often look to others to tell us what to do. Make it look like you want it to look like. That's enough. Best, Bill